News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Let's see some garages

Started by BGlover67, May 07, 2018, 05:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

^^
Glad ur ahead of the idea with the cemento requirements.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

davez

I had my garage done 5 years ago.  If I remember right from my concrete guy thicker does not necessarily equal stronger.  There are different weight ratings based on other things added to the mix. Have to dig up my notes of I can find them.

Side-Oilers

Quote from: CSX 4133 on September 11, 2018, 05:05:14 PM
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on September 11, 2018, 04:03:54 PM
If I were to hit the lottery and was able to purchase 3 more Shelbys you could stack and get 4 in there.  But for now it will be one lonely Shelby and my Harley.  I am going to have a lift.  I really want a 2 post but because it is not as wide as I wanted it may make more sense to get a 4 post.  I will make that decision later.

BTW did you all notice the custom weather vane they made for me on top of the cupola?  They had roosters and such and I asked if they could do a profile of my car.  I sent them a few profiles and this is what they came up with.  Not exact but on top of the roof one would never notice.

This might work for your new garage as  a lift. Much smaller footprint than a four post, and can still be used for maintenance work.

https://www.autostacker.com

I recently installed two Autostackers. Their build quality is excellent, and they are easy to put a low ground clearance car on.  Best part is they're a scissors-type lift, so no poles.  Good for a narrow garage space.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bigfoot

Quote from: davez on September 11, 2018, 10:51:20 PM
I had my garage done 5 years ago.  If I remember right from my concrete guy thicker does not necessarily equal stronger.  There are different weight ratings based on other things added to the mix. Have to dig up my notes of I can find them.

That's correct. There is a PSI for concrete. I wasn't going to go down that road because of the added complications but here we go.
Average concrete is like 3000 psi. You want stronger for an area that would take a 2 post lift. That's what "they say."
I'm not sure how much higher but the higher the number the stronger the concrete.
IE,...4000 psi would be better than 3000 for a 2 post lift area.
One would want to ask the question to the company selling the lift.
I would recommend calling whomever is the local guy selling the many brands offered by Dover Corp.
Just google it. They have commercial lifts and home lifts. They practically invented the space.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Corey Bowcutt

From my research I found you want a minimum of 3000 psi concrete.  I'm getting 3500 psi so again I should be good to go.

Steve Z

Guys, Due to the fact that I am in the concrete business. The proper floor for a shop that I would do would be 5" inches thick with wire mesh over 4" inches of compacted fill. The concrete mix should be 4000 psi. The cost difference is minimal. Sawcut the joints after initial cure no more than 20' x 20' apart to control cracking. And last use a good cure and seal product after the final finishing is complete. I hope this helps . Thanks Steve

vtgt500

Steve, thanks for the input.  My garage started out as a home, machine shop.  I also went with reinforced 4000 PSI pour.  Also had glass filament added.  Has been crack free for over 20 years.  Wish I had styrofoam sheets or other insulation laid down before the pour.  All summer the floor will sweat in hot, humid weather.

Steve Z

I glad you reminded me. You do need a good 6 mil visqueen barrier under the floor.  And it really helps when you have 2" styrofoam around the perimeter of the floor, depending on where you are located in the country.

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Steve!  Very helpful. 

I am having the 4" of packed stone and using wire mesh as well as fiber reinforced.  It is stated they will cut with diamond tip blade to help control cracking.

Side-Oilers

Here's a pix of my Autostackers the day they were installed. (Sorry for no Shelby products in this pix.)

I think a benefit of these is that their load is spread out over a larger section of floor than a 2 or 4 post lift typically does.

(I have no affiliation with Autostacker...I'm just a customer.)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

rtmc67shelby

1967 #481 GT500
1967 #1302 GT350
1969 Boss 302
2014 GT500

CSX 4133

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 12, 2018, 01:43:36 PM
Here's a pix of my Autostackers the day they were installed. (Sorry for no Shelby products in this pix.)

I think a benefit of these is that their load is spread out over a larger section of floor than a 2 or 4 post lift typically does.

A couple of quick questions Side-Oilers, how far from the back wall are your lifts? And how long are the mounting bolts used on the Autostacker?  I am having one installed in the very near future in my garage/shop space.

TOBKOB

QuoteThat pole garage is gonna have tons of room. It will have stairs to a second story above the cars? How many cars can it hold?
2 Shelbys and 2 Model A's... ;D

Quoteigfoot I am having a strip of the pad 6' long the full width of the garage that will be 6" thick to accommodate the 2 post lift so I think I am covered. The rest of the pad will be 4" thick.

Although a 2 post lift works better on some jobs I find a 4 post is more versatile for maintenance plus storing an additional vehicle and not mounted permanently. ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Side-Oilers

Quote from: CSX 4133 on September 13, 2018, 06:30:20 AM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 12, 2018, 01:43:36 PM

A couple of quick questions Side-Oilers, how far from the back wall are your lifts? And how long are the mounting bolts used on the Autostacker?  I am having one installed in the very near future in my garage/shop space.

The base of the lift is mounted 40 inches away from the back wall of my garage.

With my Cobra on top (backed in) there is 19 inches clearance from the car to the wall. 

I didn't do the installation myself, so I don't know exactly what length bolts they used. (Maybe 5 inches?)  Here's a pix.

Hope this helps.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

CSX 4133