News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How to identify a Shelby T oil pan?

Started by JBinAlabama, December 23, 2021, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBinAlabama

How folks, found one for sale just trying to be sure it's not a reproduction!
Thanks

GT350Lad

Hi, certain feature such as the overall quality (more obv when's repo is side by side with an original)
But most of all the repos don't have the sms part number on the underside
Here is a pic of one of mine
6S373
6S1276

silverton_ford

Watch out for S1MS vs SIMS part numbers.   

JBinAlabama

So far this is the best zoomed pic I have.
Very unclear!

George Schalk

As Brian mentioned, there was an early reproduction COBRA T-pan produced with the "SIMS" as opposed to the original with part number "S1MS".  The originals also had the part number cast in a square box where the reproduction part number was cast in an octagonal box.  Later reproduction pans typically do not have any part numbers on them.

GT350Lad

Nice one George. My pic was pretty average. Here is take 2
6S373
6S1276

rraceme

Hello from Alabama too. Another detail of an original or older over-the-counter pan, would be the oil pan bolt holes. I will post a picture displaying this feature.  There is an extra machined surface.... you will not see in reproductions. Hopefully it is noticeable in my loaded photo.  Merry GT 350 Christmas.  FRED
SFM 6S2227

JBinAlabama

shelbydoug

It appears to be an original Cobra roadster pan from this one view.

If you lay them top down on the floor and look for, lack of a better term, a center line down the pan. The originals look like they are cast off center or maybe a better term is cockeyed?

I'm not sure if anyone ever reproduced them because of a very small demand but I never say never.

The shortened top fin in the back to me is an indication of originality.

Incidentally, some of the repro's I've seen have the S1MS number in them. The cut in the mounting hole flange can easily be cut with a hand drill and a valve spring cutter.
Many of the reproductions are better quality castings then the originals. Any of them can show excessive porosity and can be difficult to keep clean.

They are notorious for developing leaks along the mounting flanges.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Originals are lighter as the flanges are thinner like those two pictured above.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.