News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help identifying holes on apron

Started by hertz350, January 02, 2022, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

My car has two extra holes toward the firewall that are not for the washer bag which is mounted toward the front of the car. This is on a Hertz car built March of 66. The car shipped to Hertz with a two speed wiper and a washer bag and pump. I have also seen these mysterious holes on other Mustangs. Any idea why they are there?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on January 02, 2022, 11:02:30 PM
My car has two extra holes toward the firewall that are not for the washer bag which is mounted toward the front of the car. This is on a Hertz car built March of 66. The car shipped to Hertz with a two speed wiper and a washer bag and pump. I have also seen these mysterious holes on other Mustangs. Any idea why they are there?
Are you referring to two of the three holes used to secure the coil spring cover?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hertz350

Bob: I am referring to the two holes in line with the washer bag bracket mount on the raised horizontal strengthening rib of the apron.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

trotrof1

It could have been a aftermarket ignition coil or something that also made the small indentation between the two holes.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on January 02, 2022, 11:14:53 PM
Bob: I am referring to the two holes in line with the washer bag bracket mount on the raised horizontal strengthening rib of the apron.
OK I see the ones you mean. Those two holes do not correspond to anything factory related  IMO .They need to disappear. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hertz350

Bob: Agreed they should not be there. I am curious, though as I have seen other cars with similar  holes. I am wondering what aftermarket device may have been installed? This car has been off the road since the late 1970's so that is too early for things like MSD ignition. Maybe this will just be an unknown.

s2ms

Was the car ever raced? 6S1757 has similar holes in a slightly different location from it's mid-70's racing days where a dual oil filter setup was bolted.
Dave - 6S1757

sg66

Quote from: hertz350 on January 03, 2022, 12:57:33 PM
Bob: Agreed they should not be there. I am curious, though as I have seen other cars with similar  holes. I am wondering what aftermarket device may have been installed? This car has been off the road since the late 1970's so that is too early for things like MSD ignition. Maybe this will just be an unknown.
Image from late 70's, maybe too early for MSD but there were other brands. I forget what this was

hertz350

Car was never raced. Still a mystery. I will weld them up.

KR Convertible

Could be from an aftermarket overflow bottle, an alarm siren or motion sensor.

Royce Peterson

Looks like an aftermarket tachometer sending unit, maybe Sun.

Quote from: sg66 on January 03, 2022, 01:56:36 PM
Quote from: hertz350 on January 03, 2022, 12:57:33 PM
Image from late 70's, maybe too early for MSD but there were other brands. I forget what this was
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Fast Fords

Could it be for a monte carlo bar ?

sg66

Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 03, 2022, 06:29:45 PM
Looks like an aftermarket tachometer sending unit, maybe Sun.

That's it, a Sun EB9 transmitter.

Also, did a sanity check and MSD was the first to the automotive market in 1976 derived from research being done at White Sands missile range in 1970