News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5R002 heading to Auction

Started by tesgt350, January 04, 2022, 07:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

5R002 heading to Auction.  Question: Being an "R" Model, every one I have seen did not have a Rear Bumper SO, would you keep or remove the Rear Bumper?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/car-week-flying-mustang-driven-130000022.html

6S1568

It runs in my mind the 5R002 always had its rear bumper, painted white. with the blue stripe over the white. Experts will know for sure.

shelbydoug

+1.

In fact, Brock in doing his "continuation R model" at some point commented that it was his intention to keep the rear bumper, but was over ruled.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

From my files, my note says this is 5R002 at Willow Springs, January '65.

98SVT - was 06GT

Was the "R" bumper fiberglass or just painted steel. I can see them building a light one and them just saying leave it off if the rules didn't require it.

Now for the real question - more or less $$$$$?

Shelby market watchers will recall that this car hammered at $3.5 million ($3.85 million including buyer's commission) when it was auctioned by Mecum in July 2020, and remarkably, it's on the ramp again looking for a new owner.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Tired Sheep

The real question is was that a "real" sale?

Yet another reason not to use auction prices as a guide unless the whole story is known.

I trust some of these circuses about as much as PT Barnum.

Vernon Estes

Quote from: Tired Sheep on January 04, 2022, 05:37:05 PM
The real question is was that a "real" sale?

Yet another reason not to use auction prices as a guide unless the whole story is known.

I trust some of these circuses about as much as PT Barnum.

It was a real sale. Over the last year and a half, I cannot tell you how many times I have had to correct people who have claimed or implied that 5R002's last sale was some sort of fake sale. As to the reason why people believe the sale was fake...I can't figure it out other than the fact that the buyer has chosen to remain anonymous. To me, it isn't so difficult to understand why someone who buys a car for that sort of $ would want to remain coy about the purchase...but I guess it's tough to digest for people who think they deserve to be in another guy's business. That comment isn't directed at Tired Sheep specifically (I hear he is a pretty cool dude)...but this "fake sale" rumor has just gone on for so long that I felt compelled to respond here.

The car has been in the state of Texas with its owner for the last few years. He bought it because of a deep personal, family connection to Carroll Shelby. He's not a guy who has a large collection of Shelbys or who is known to have any interest in Shelby related cars in general....but he chose to purchase that car. Since he has not identified himself publicly, it would probably be in poor taste for me to speak any further on it but, rest assured, the sale was real.

Suffice to say, every other car sold as part of the JA sale was sold to verified buyers.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Tired Sheep

Thanks for that clarification

I had no knowledge, but I think we can certainly agree, these auctions are not always as they seem

Vernon Estes

Quote from: Tired Sheep on January 04, 2022, 06:32:39 PM
Thanks for that clarification

I had no knowledge, but I think we can certainly agree, these auctions are not always as they seem

Agreed completely...even when sales are "real"...they are can be highly influenced/manipulated for a desired outcome in many different ways.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Tired Sheep

I fear I have fallen into the trap

We often assume because we would or would not do something, that's what others would do.

"I wouldn't sell that car, if I had paid that money for it"

tesgt350

Quote from: honker on January 04, 2022, 09:40:17 AM
From my files, my note says this is 5R002 at Willow Springs, January '65.

Thanks.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Tired Sheep on January 05, 2022, 12:12:55 AM
I fear I have fallen into the trap

We often assume because we would or would not do something, that's what others would do.

"I wouldn't sell that car, if I had paid that money for it"

It depends on your perspective. If $3.5 million is your prime capital, I think there are better investments out there?
If it's funny money, then that's a different thing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

honker

98SVT, what a great shot ! thanks for posting, depending on whose behind the wheel, he's really pushing, 11/10ths  8)

Mike