News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65-67 rivets

Started by shelbymann1970, January 06, 2022, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

OK this has become a topic of discussion. Are rivets to hold the Shelby tag to the apron unique for these years? People use that excuse for not drilling out 1 rivet. I understand as I would never do it on a car like Vern's old 67 GT500 survivor but what about a restored car? Are these rivets unique or are they easily replaced as I have found numerous black rivets on Amazon. Thanks in advance. Always trying to learn. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 06, 2022, 12:11:13 PM
OK this has become a topic of discussion. Are rivets to hold the Shelby tag to the apron unique for these years? People use that excuse for not drilling out 1 rivet. I understand as I would never do it on a car like Vern's old 67 GT500 survivor but what about a restored car? Are these rivets unique or are they easily replaced as I have found numerous black rivets on Amazon. Thanks in advance. Always trying to learn. Gary
The Shelby VIN plate rivets of the subject cars are not unique . The ones used on Shelby's fall into the most typical of the generic rivet type variations available most places. The slight larger diameter of the head on some are the ones to stay away from. In 67 most rivets used for the vin plate were black anodized and while not that common are still easily obtainable. You can replace a drilled out rivet with one that can't be told that it has been changed . Those that fuss about this are typically clueless of the facts about the rivets IMO. Unfortunately some use the controversy to justify hiding a negative something .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Thank you Bob. Your thoughts are spot on. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)