News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rear Wheel Cylinder Rebuild/DOT 5 Fluid

Started by OldGuy, May 09, 2018, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGuy

Guys, I'm about ready to send in a pair of original wheel cylinders to White Post for sleeving/rebuild. I inquired about their "no warranty" policy regarding use with DOT 5 fluid. Their weak answer was something to the effect that they warrant their work for use with only fluid that was intended (OEM recommended) to be used i.e. DOT 3 or 4 fluids. In pressing them further they said that they have experienced some leakage in the past with cylinders using DOT 5 fluid (generally bleeder screw related) but couldn't remember if they were Mustang cylinders.

My question is: Has anyone experienced ANY leakage, using DOT 5 fluid, in ANY cylinder (wheel or master) in your application(s)? I'm committed to the use of DOT 5 (rather than DOT 3 or 4 "paint remover") fluid in my car for its many benefits vs. the few drawbacks that it possesses.

What are your thoughts (the more the better).

Thanks

Frank 

KR500

Frank
I have had DOT 5 in my KR for 27 years with no leaks. Mind you it has only accumulated about 100 miles in that time. I rebuilt the M/C, wheel cylinders, and calipers with no sleeves. It also retains the original brake hoses. I would not use DOT 5 for high performance driving and definitely not in an ABS application. Converting to DOT 5 you must remove 100% of the old DOT3/4 fluid! I would use DOT 5 in a rarely driven show car and DOT 3 or 4 in a driven car. You might want to check out DOT 5.1 fluid also.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Tom Honegger

I have used silicone DOT 5 fluid in my GT 350 for many years. No leakage or any problems. I switched when I had frozen/corroded front disc brakes. I just flushed my system and added Wilwood 5 Silicone fluid. They recommend for classic cars. I don't think I would use if I was doing a lot of open track/high speed driving. Although I have run numerous SAAC open track sessions with no problem. Wilwood warns against it. You might do some reading on Jegs or Summit websites as far as suggestions and boiling temps. Also, read the user reviews. Just my 2 cents.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldGuy on May 09, 2018, 02:34:59 PM
Guys, I'm about ready to send in a pair of original wheel cylinders to White Post for sleeving/rebuild. I inquired about their "no warranty" policy regarding use with DOT 5 fluid. Their weak answer was something to the effect that they warrant their work for use with only fluid that was intended (OEM recommended) to be used i.e. DOT 3 or 4 fluids. In pressing them further they said that they have experienced some leakage in the past with cylinders using DOT 5 fluid (generally bleeder screw related) but couldn't remember if they were Mustang cylinders.

My question is: Has anyone experienced ANY leakage, using DOT 5 fluid, in ANY cylinder (wheel or master) in your application(s)? I'm committed to the use of DOT 5 (rather than DOT 3 or 4 "paint remover") fluid in my car for its many benefits vs. the few drawbacks that it possesses.

Thanks

Frank
Frank,I have not had any problems using DOT 5 in the way you describe. I have had problems with a small percentage of wheel cylinders, masters and hydraulic slave cylinders(Tiger, Cobra) that I was using DOT 3 or 4 in that White Post rebuilt. . They always took them back after brief excuses on their part but the time ,hassle and expense on my part because of the problems had me eventually choosing another rebuilder . I would find a rebuilder that will stand behind their work using DOT 5 given the rebuilder you are thinking of using has the no warranty policy with DOT 5. You might try Jim @ Shelby parts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

OldGuy

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 09, 2018, 05:02:12 PM

Thanks

Frank
Frank,I have not had any problems using DOT 5 in the way you describe. I have had problems with a small percentage of wheel cylinders, masters and hydraulic slave cylinders(Tiger, Cobra) that I was using DOT 3 or 4 in that White Post rebuilt. . They always took them back after brief excuses on their part but the time ,hassle and expense on my part because of the problems had me eventually choosing another rebuilder . I would find a rebuilder that will stand behind their work using DOT 5 given the rebuilder you are thinking of using has the no warranty policy with DOT 5. You might try Jim @ Shelby parts.

Bob, where were your cylinders leaking from? Were your leaks in any way sleeve-related? Like between the parent body/housing and the inserted (I presume shrunk and/or pressed in) sleeve or other sources (bleeders, tube seats, etc.)

Please advise.

Thank you!

Frank

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldGuy on May 09, 2018, 07:09:52 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 09, 2018, 05:02:12 PM

Thanks

Frank

Bob, where were your cylinders leaking from? Were your leaks in any way sleeve-related? Like between the parent body/housing and the inserted (I presume shrunk and/or pressed in) sleeve or other sources (bleeders, tube seats, etc.)

Please advise.

Thank you!

Frank
My problems were not sleeve related to my knowledge.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

No problems as well in 28 years of using DOT 5 in both of my Shelbys.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

69mach351w

Quote from: KR500 on May 09, 2018, 03:23:22 PM
Frank
I have had DOT 5 in my KR for 27 years with no leaks. Mind you it has only accumulated about 100 miles in that time. I rebuilt the M/C, wheel cylinders, and calipers with no sleeves. It also retains the original brake hoses. I would not use DOT 5 for high performance driving and definitely not in an ABS application. Converting to DOT 5 you must remove 100% of the old DOT3/4 fluid! I would use DOT 5 in a rarely driven show car and DOT 3 or 4 in a driven car. You might want to check out DOT 5.1 fluid also.
Rodney
How did you contain yourself?? ???

KR500

Quote from: 69mach351w on May 09, 2018, 07:33:19 PM
Frank
Rodney
I have other distractions. Other cars and toys. I really wanted another Shelby also that wasn't so nice that I could drive hard. Maybe some day?
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

roddster

For sleeving wheel and master cylinders, I have used Karp's out in California.  No issues.  Look them up in Hemming's Motor News.

SFM6S1348

I have used Dot 5 in 6S1348 for about the past 25 years with no problems.

Les
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

mark p

I've had DOT 5 in the Tiger for close to 30 years - brakes and clutch, replaced parts in clutch cylinder [only] once (nothing ever sleeved).
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

OldGuy

Thanks, guys for all of the feedback. As always, it is much appreciated.

I guess that I worded my question somewhat wrong. I really meant to ask: Has anyone experienced any leakage with a cylinder (master and/or wheel cylinder) that has had the bore "sleeved"? If so, what leaked and was it a result of the sleeving process?

Sorry for the confusion in the original post.

Thanks again.

Frank

NC TRACKRAT

Quote from: 69mach351w on May 09, 2018, 07:33:19 PM
Frank
Rodney

It all "Depends"!  :)
5S071, 6S1467