News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Interior door paint

Started by GT350Lad, January 22, 2022, 06:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT350Lad

Hi guys, about to start thinking of interior paint planning on my 2 66s. I have done plenty of searching and it appears interior door colour is same as rest of interior and dash? It always looked a bit glossier to me but maybe it's my eyes.
Paint I am planning is SEM trim black or another close for it all and engine bay. Spray Gun applied

Just confirming

Thanks
6S373
6S1276

NC TRACKRAT

SEM is good stuff.  I think it's "Tuxedo Black".  Be sure to give it a couple of days to "cure"....The longer the better.
5S071, 6S1467

GT350Lad

Nice. So use "tuxedo black" over trim black?
I was planning trim black
Can SEM trim black be used?

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

Remember, if your considered with original details, the interior paint was applied first then the exterior paint. Also the paint line does not follow the weather strip around the outline as you may see on some cars. There is also a "notch" at the top rear edge of the paint that extends rearward from the rest of the paint line along the back masked edge of the interior paint
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

Thanks Jeff. Always keen on details
6S373
6S1276

kram350

Jeff, Can you post a few pictures if you get time showing the door paint details as stated in your post? Thanks for what you do.

J_Speegle

Of course I can. Know there is a thread over on CMF may just cut and paste but will post something here showing the details
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

And is everyone happy the SEM trim black is an ok match for interior panels, dash and door inside metal?

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

davez

This may be a bit involved for some , for the restoration of 6s1127 I use ppg shopline black with a matting agent. I have test panels sprayed with mixing ratios of black to flattener of 5-1, 4-1, 3-1 , 2.5-1, and 2-1. I compared 3 original paint ashtrays and  2.5 -1  seems to be the closest level of sheen. With the test panels sprayed I use those for the various black parts on the rest of the car.

davez

GT350Lad

Impressive. It's always hard to match it 100% bi that's pretty Damm close

Nice one
6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

As promised

As mentioned above the interior paint was applied first. For 65-66 this means the doors, dash and A pillars. These areas were then masked off either free hand or some form of precut mask that was tapped in place. Because of this you can get areas where the paint (exterior color) could blow under if not tapped or the mask lift for a section and produced a softer paint edge

At the top - Window and vent window edge

At the rear most of the edge is located where the weather strip would be attached except at the very  top at the rear where the paint extended further as shown

And at the bottom of the rear edge the mask/tape pulled in and away from the weather strip impression in the door edge.

This could be done neatly or a bit messy with ends and pieces of tape in the say as shown

As we look at the bottom of the door we find that the mask did not follow the weather strip impression and track area. Instead we often find a straight edge produced from the taping of the mask or in some cases a less than perfectly straight line.  Also painters, either interior or exterior ones, didn't always put the effort in on a particular car to bend over far enough to apply allot or in some case almost any paint to the bottom edge making the paint lines difficult to see. On other examples a good coat of paint was applied as seen in the pictures below

Not much paint for interior or exterior on the bottom of the door on the left while on the right a nice coat of both on this example

More difficult to get pictures of the front edge of the door but here is an example. After the transition at the forward bottom corner like at the rear the paint line travels to the weather strip impression then takes a straight line to the upper weather strip impression and into the window opening from there

Though it may not matter since its an unseen detail, for what ever reason San Jose workers choose not to mack off the center of the door surfaces where the door panel would eventually be attached

Hope this helps others