News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 GT350 how many still exist out of 1053 produced

Started by Copescobra, January 05, 2022, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copescobra

Does anyone happen to know how many 1968 GT350's are still on the road.  I read where 1053 were produced (including Hertz cars).
Or even how many registered with SAAC ?

Thanks
1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302

CharlesTurner

The '68 registrar may have a rough idea, but based only on information provided by owners and such.  The SAAC registry will indicate the last owner update and condition of the car.  If it hasn't been done before and someone has some spare time, it could be mapped in a spreadsheet.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Tired Sheep

The psychology of this question has always interested me. Presumably it implies rarity is being sought. The number you cited  is such a small drop in the bucket they are are already extremely rare. Hundreds of thousands of Mustangs were built at the same time. Curious why you ask?

First the assumption is being made that  the Shelby club knows about all the cars

They do not

If you own a car you are under no obligation to tell anyone. There are many cars still around the club does not know anything about

The club probably has information on more than 80% of the cars built based on their publications

A Registry would be a good purchase for you

shelbydoug

That's a tough question to answer even for someone like a SAAC Registrar.

First, it relies on someone to report a car to the Registry. There is this odd phenominon out there that some don't want ANYONE else to know their business on ANYTHING.

Part of that is "WTF is SAAC and why should I tell them?".

Then SAAC has been doing registries since it's inception in 1975 and was looking for information that even then was old to try to fill in the blanks. Some of that information as far as LKO is still the "latest" information on a car.

Then amongst that, the SAAC Registrar hasn't seen the vast majority of the cars they have information on. It could be paper information that was reported to them nearly 50 years ago and that's all that was left of it then?

So, probably the Registrar can report how many cars they have information on, how many they don't and how many have been reported destroyed?

Actually knowing how many still exist, still, is just an educated guess or maybe a better term is speculation?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Copescobra

Thanks for the input.  Curiosity i guess.  I always see the GT500's up for sale and rarely see the GT350's.
Funny I bought the GT350 because of the smaller engine having owned some 428 CJ's previously and what a monster
they were.

I am asking as an owner of one and curious what the survival rate has been.  I would think not even 30% of the 1000 plus might still be around.

I know as a teenager I racked up a few sports cars and figured why would that not be the case with these.  Granted a 350 is not quite the 428 but it is all relative to a 16 yr old. 

Great point made that SAAC probably has a number of registered cars that no longer exist given the time span they cover.

I collect a bunch of different makes and models and just simply one day came across the SAAC organization and registered my car.
I do believe there are quite a few owners who don't even know SAAC exists or wants to keep their ownership private.

My spouse thinks i need to sell my GT350 as I never drive it.  I never drive it as I live in a big city with crazy drivers.  I've managed to hang onto it since 2004 but who knows.   Hoping the best for 2022 and Blessings to all.

1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

I can assure you the number exceeds 75% accounted for, probably higher.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 08, 2022, 10:08:01 PM
I can assure you the number exceeds 75% accounted for, probably higher.

Well if you consider that Marti has access to the official Ford records, then the number "accounted" for is likely close to 100% if not 100%. That doesn't indicate the survival rate though.

Who knows where they all have scattered to? There still are places on the Earth that have roads but no electricity.

I prefer to think of all of these cars like the story of the "Yellow Rolls Royce" where you just can't kill them but know one knows for sure where they are.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vernon Estes

I would assume the attrition rate is pretty low considering that they were fairly bullet proof cars which arent known for being extensively raced. However many no longer walk the earth were likely killed off due to accidents/scrpping back when they were "just cars"...but I would assume the number of cars which would have been that severely wrecked would be fairly low. Id bet 75%+ like Pete said above...probably more likely 90%. Just a guess of course.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Vernon Estes on January 09, 2022, 09:55:06 AM
I would assume the attrition rate is pretty low considering that they were fairly bullet proof cars which arent known for being extensively raced. However many no longer walk the earth were likely killed off due to accidents/scrpping back when they were "just cars"...but I would assume the number of cars which would have been that severely wrecked would be fairly low. Id bet 75%+ like Pete said above...probably more likely 90%. Just a guess of course.

Kind regards,
Vern

Anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's but I'd phrase it this way, their presence at SAAC events over the last 46 years has been remarkably low.

Seemingly a key factor in a discussion I remember from more years ago then I care to admit to is that something on the order of 80% seemed to apparently survived across all years with '67s having the highest mortality rate.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Well, my guess is definitely better than yours.

I have pictures of over 30% of the 1968s. By no means do I have anything close to all there are to be found.

For every file I have, I guarantee you there is another one I dont have.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 09, 2022, 12:56:27 PM
Well, my guess is definitely better than yours.

I have pictures of over 30% of the 1968s. By no means do I have anything close to all there are to be found.

For every file I have, I guarantee you there is another one I dont have.

Of course your guess is better then mine. Better then everyones. YOU are the Coralsnake. Only surpassed by Karnack the Magnificent.  8)

A guaranty is just a paragraph in a proposal that states what one party will do for the other party in the event of something specific happening.

What are you proposing that your guaranty encompass? Inquiring minds need to know? :D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Copescobra

I'll have to go with what Coralsnake has posted. 

well attended the Carrol Shelby event at the Peterson Museum and there was 1 other 68 GT350 there.  So I at least know of 1 other.
Funny that a guy with a 66 GT350 had not even thought of registering his with SAAC until coming out to the event.
Maybe 6 total Shelby cars from 66-69 and a nice selection of 5 Cobra's.  Of course the newer 2007 up models ruled the day with maybe 100+ there

I seem to be addicted to BAT and always notice the 500's or 1966's.
Did notice a few 68 GT350's at Mecum last week.
1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302