Author Topic: 1968 GT350 how many still exist out of 1053 produced  (Read 7470 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 GT350 how many still exist out of 1053 produced
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 09:58:27 PM »
Another way to look at this is consider that of the 1053 68 GT350 fastbacks built, that would have only been 21 per state in the US, if divided equally (we know that's not the actual case).  Not sure how many were exported, but it's a pretty low number looking at it that way.

The survival rate was probably higher than a typical Mustang from the same time.  Mostly due to Shelby's being higher priced and maybe most not being used as daily drivers, but instead pleasure use cars.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 01:24:17 AM »
I predict charles 68 gt 350 vert will set a new record as i seen it painted at browns shop and assembled at billups shop later when finished assembled with charles helping final assembly. One of my first shelbys  in early 80s was a 68 gt350 4 speed dark moss green that i used \\to take deer hunting )till a pick up trunk ran into me)  was the only muscle car that could get rubber in  4 th gear not on rocks haha

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »
Where/when is that car ( Charles) being sold?

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 08:14:42 AM »
friday evening.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
Where/when is that car ( Charles) being sold?

See up for auction subforum for all auction details  ;)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Copescobra

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 02:12:09 AM »
I'll have to report back having just received my 2020 1968 Register.
At first glance there seem to be a lot of "missing" or not current going back decades.

It will be a while before I can report back - for anyone interested.......

Barrett Jackson was a frenzy IMO-
Seemed like red ruled the day.
1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 02:22:34 AM »
Barrett Jackson was a frenzy IMO-
Seemed like red ruled the day.

I think the high sale '68 was the red KR fastback... 2nd highest sales was a tie of 2 highland green cars, a KR fastback and my car... followed by a ton or red ones!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
So, probably the Registrar can report how many cars they have information on, how many they don't and how many have been reported destroyed?
and reborn. With current prices I'm certain that many owners who lost these cars to accidents and/or rust many years ago are taking that tag out of the toolbox or off the garage wall and thinking of how to cash in.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Rbuddy98

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2022, 06:03:47 PM »
My brother and both own 1968 GT 350’s since the late 1970’s.  They haven’t seen the light of day since the mid 1980’s.   Some day I will get mine back on the road.  My brother on the other hand won’t.  It will be a future barn find.    Both our cars are not in the registry.   

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2022, 06:34:25 PM »
Agree with Vernon. These were special cars when new, and while prices were soft on the GT500's in the late 1970's when gas prices went crazy the GT350's were thought to be more valuable, and hence were not scrapped as often, even if they were in what seemed to be pretty bad shape.

No one has ever thought of a Shelby from this period of time as anything other than special. So, most of them still survive. Exact number, no one will ever know. But definitely in the 75 - 85% range.

I would assume the attrition rate is pretty low considering that they were fairly bullet proof cars which arent known for being extensively raced. However many no longer walk the earth were likely killed off due to accidents/scrpping back when they were "just cars"...but I would assume the number of cars which would have been that severely wrecked would be fairly low. Id bet 75%+ like Pete said above...probably more likely 90%. Just a guess of course.

Kind regards,
Vern
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 12:11:03 PM »
I would assume the attrition rate is pretty low considering that they were fairly bullet proof cars which arent known for being extensively raced. However many no longer walk the earth were likely killed off due to accidents/scrpping back when they were "just cars"...but I would assume the number of cars which would have been that severely wrecked would be fairly low. Id bet 75%+ like Pete said above...probably more likely 90%. Just a guess of course.

Kind regards,
Vern

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »
I never did and still do not understand the reluctance of being listed or identified in the SAAC Registries.

Apparently it varies according to the year and model but for some reason 68 GT350's seem to hold a special revanence, i.e., a special secret appreciation for that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 09:01:25 AM »
My brother and both own 1968 GT 350’s since the late 1970’s.  They haven’t seen the light of day since the mid 1980’s.   Some day I will get mine back on the road.  My brother on the other hand won’t.  It will be a future barn find.    Both our cars are not in the registry.

Contrary to popular believe, while your name may not be publically in the registry, it may be known to the registrar. In addition, your car, while not listed under your name within the registry, it is still listed there.

Just saying  8)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
I never did and still do not understand the reluctance of being listed or identified in the SAAC Registries.

Apparently it varies according to the year and model but for some reason 68 GT350's seem to hold a special revanence, i.e., a special secret appreciation for that?
Here is one reason. My car was in the 87 registry(all others since) and a guy comes knocking on my door in the early 90s at night. It was one of the Rick brothers from Rick Ford here in Mi. Seems he ran my VIN  through the SOS and got my name and  address. Did I get mad? No. I showed him the car and he gave me his info. It seems he ran a LOT of Shelbys through the SOS here in Mi to get their locations. That would be a great reason why someone would not want to be in a registry. Now about that FBI agent that came knocking on my door back around 1988 that is another car story.....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 09:32:15 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 09:56:18 AM »

Here is one reason. My car was in the 87 registry(all others since) and a guy comes knocking on my door in the early 90s at night. It was one of the Rick brothers from Rick Ford here in Mi. Seems he ran my VIN  through the SOS and got my name and  address. Did I get mad? No. I showed him the car and he gave me his info. It seems he ran a LOT of Shelbys through the SOS here in Mi to get their locations. That would be a great reason why someone would not want to be in a registry. Now about that FBI agent that came knocking on my door back around 1988 that is another car story.....

During the pre-publication days of the '82 Registry, Howard Pardee had already gone the route of the DMV's.

I don't know if Howard was responsible but shortly after/during it, California passed an anti-stalking bill where DMV records were no longer Public information.
There was some rhetoric and "discussion" but in California's case, it is probably more about "celebrates" complaining about exposed privacy.

An added note, we are so used to having data at our fingertips now via the Internet, that it is difficult to believe that only maybe 1/2 the states DMV records at the time were on any kind of an "internet computer system". Meaning even if you could still access information in a state like New Hampshire, you couldn't get a print out because the state system didn't have the capability.

OK. You are missing the point here I suspect? Why is it that just '68 GT350 owners are afraid? Get it yet?

Also, considering that there may be blank spaces in any year of the "Registry", it's more likely that there is either no FORD information available about those cars or the particular Shelby Registrar, just hasn't received it as yet?

It does seem that Marti has it.

"As it was in the beginning, so it shall be for always". "WTF is the SAAC Registry and WTF should they be entitled to the information?" That's the feedback that I get often with quite hostile tones. ;) This is an old battle and frankly I was done with it 20 years ago. It's not going to change anytime soon.

"The Registry" was/is done in good faith and there will ALWAYS be anti-vac'ers out there with their own "special" reasons for not participating. Maybe they see it as another fascist deal and they like 'Hells Angels' are the only truely free Americans left? Who cares at this point?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 10:08:35 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!