Author Topic: 1968 GT350 how many still exist out of 1053 produced  (Read 7460 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 GT350 how many still exist out of 1053 produced
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2022, 10:07:56 AM »
I never did and still do not understand the reluctance of being listed or identified in the SAAC Registries.

Apparently it varies according to the year and model but for some reason 68 GT350's seem to hold a special revanence, i.e., a special secret appreciation for that?
Here is one reason. My car was in the 87 registry(all others since) and a guy comes knocking on my door in the early 90s at night. It was one of the Rick brothers from Rick Ford here in Mi. Seems he ran my VIN  through the SOS and got my name and  address. Did I get mad? No. I showed him the car and he gave me his info. It seems he ran a LOT of Shelbys through the SOS here in Mi to get their locations. That would be a great reason why someone would not want to be in a registry. Now about that FBI agent that came knocking on my door back around 1988 that is another car story.....

During the pre-publication days of the '82 Registry, Howard Pardee had already gone the route of the DMV's.

I don't know if Howard was responsible but shortly after/during it, California passed an anti-stalking bill where DMV records were no longer Public information.
There was some rhetoric and "discussion" but in California's case, it is probably more about "celebrates" complaining about exposed privacy.

An added note, we are so used to having data at our fingertips now via the Internet, that it is difficult to believe that only maybe 1/2 the states DMV records at the time were on any kind of an "internet computer system". Meaning even if you could still access information in a state like New Hampshire, you couldn't get a print out because the state system didn't have the capability.

OK. You are missing the point here I suspect? Why is it that just '68 GT350 owners are afraid? Get it yet?
I'm not missing any point here. Only stating that there are those who didn't want someone come knocking on their door asking if they owned their car. Here in Michigan if a car isn't registered for 5 years it is purged out of the system so longtime owners with unregistered cars Howard never would have found here doing a search. Can't tell you about other states. I'm a "pro Register your car" person.
 I remember when my neighbor went around 1993 to get his 63 HiPo Fairlane plated at our Sec of State. They had no record of it. They asked when he last plated the car. 1963 he said(still had the 63 plate on it as he towed it to the track racing it over the years until he had to quit racing in the early 70s). I also tried to do a search of my 69 Boss 429 in 1986. Since the previous 2 owners never licensed it and the current owner had it longer than 5 years the title search history was non existent. BTW why would you think it is just 68 owners? There are those I know who don't use credit cards and pay cash for everything whenever possible. They are amongst us and some possibly own Shelbys, Vettes, etc across the marques.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 10:09:42 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
Every state has different information policies.

I've owned my 68 since 1972. I am in New York. No one bothers me. Maybe they heard that I bite?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2022, 11:25:34 AM »
Maybe insurance companies have more up-to-date info. Even project cars are being insured to some extent. Not that they would share that info readily,but the info is there. After 50 + years of abuse,rust,fires,floods,tornadoes,hurricanes,collisions,thefts,etc many are “gone”/eliminated. From about 1981-1992 our cars were not “treasured”. It did not take much damage to “total” one out. Once they hit the junk yards they were quickly parted out,the hulk got sold by the pound.
 Since we are all just giving opinions on this subject,mine is that approx 60% remain in existance. Of that number many will never see the road again. JMO
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:31:35 AM by Rukiddin »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2022, 11:34:30 AM »
Owners name and state can be withheld on request with no issues.  What's the excuse for that?

I can understand withholding personal information to keep away from the divorce attorney.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2022, 11:52:52 AM »
Here is one reason. My car was in the 87 registry(all others since) and a guy comes knocking on my door in the early 90s at night. It was one of the Rick brothers from Rick Ford here in Mi. Seems he ran my VIN  through the SOS and got my name and  address. Did I get mad? No. I showed him the car and he gave me his info. It seems he ran a LOT of Shelbys through the SOS here in Mi to get their locations. That would be a great reason why someone would not want to be in a registry. Now about that FBI agent that came knocking on my door back around 1988 that is another car story.....

Most states only need the VIN to do a search, name is not needed.  There has always been an option to withhold ones name from the printed registry, afaik.  I also do not really get the reluctance to offer info on the car while still being able to be anonymous from the printed version.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:55:03 AM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2022, 02:51:38 PM »

Most states only need the VIN to do a search, name is not needed.  There has always been an option to withhold ones name from the printed registry, afaik.  I also do not really get the reluctance to offer info on the car while still being able to be anonymous from the printed version.
The 87 registry had only a state. Rick took any Shelby that was in Mi and ran the vin through the SOS. At that time i believe Vinny tagged my car at a SAAC show here in Deaborn (85 or6?) and left his card under my wiper so it is possible that that is why it said Mi in the 87. 97 and up my name is on it. Not afraid to have my name associated in the registry and I have done it 3 times now. I agree on cars being registered and offered why some don't. I try and talk people into registering cars and I'm sure Vinny can attest to that as I have sent cars to the Vin man before that were not previously known and have talked people into registering.  To Doug I did mention what Michigan does and said other states could differ as I knew they did.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Mongo

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2022, 04:14:52 PM »
Mongo/Vinman are on call 24/7 to help in registering any 68-69-70 Shelbys even if owner wants their names withelld !

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2022, 07:17:00 PM »
I know where there's a Highland green 350, 4-spd, saddle interior , a/c car. :)  And its owner is proud to tell anyone who asks that he has it !  Lucky man !

Copescobra

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2022, 08:10:52 PM »
Based on what I see in the Registry 2020 maybe 60% missing in action. 
I am surprised to learn on this thread how many are just tucked away without being registered.

I remember my Porsche days going to the dismantler and inquiring how he can possibly have all these "brand new" turbo parts. 
His reponse was great.  Most Turbos that are totaled have less than 500 miles on them as everyone can get up to speed only knowing how to apply the brakes properly keeps them from being totaled.

My guess is the same happened back in the day with most Shelby's just my opinion.

1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2022, 09:19:32 AM »
Based on what I see in the Registry 2020 maybe 60% missing in action. 
I am surprised to learn on this thread how many are just tucked away without being registered.

I remember my Porsche days going to the dismantler and inquiring how he can possibly have all these "brand new" turbo parts. 
His reponse was great.  Most Turbos that are totaled have less than 500 miles on them as everyone can get up to speed only knowing how to apply the brakes properly keeps them from being totaled.

My guess is the same happened back in the day with most Shelby's just my opinion.

It may be a grey area. I'm wondering how many are just laying out there in fields or "dismantling yards"? I'm not sure that I would describe that as having survived?

The quantity of "original" '68 parts showing up for sale in the usual places really doesn't account any where near for the total that are not accounted for.

It really is kind of a mystery and tends to defy explanation.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2022, 09:22:40 AM »
People should probably stop now. This post is embarrassing too many people

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2022, 09:27:12 AM »
People should probably stop now. This post is embarrassing too many people

Not embarrassing enough to show a sudden surge of registrations though, unfortunately.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Copescobra

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2022, 07:34:17 PM »
Well said Shelbydoug !!!

If you are still standing on the sidelines and have not registered your Shelby of any year please do so.

I'll leave it at that.
1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302