News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 GT350 dist to coil wire

Started by mygt350, July 11, 2023, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygt350

Am interested to know what length the black wire from dual point dist to coil was. Also interested to know how dist case was positioned in the block. Any pics of top of coil and dist position is appreciated.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

J_Speegle

Don't have one near me to measure. Was the same length as other 289s

Pictures I can help with. From the period

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on July 11, 2023, 10:26:14 PM
Am interested to know what length the black wire from dual point dist to coil was. Also interested to know how dist case was positioned in the block. Any pics of top of coil and dist position is appreciated.
The distributor case of the duel point when indexed into the block properly and timed was very close to having the front hold down clip facing straight forward.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rockhouse66

Interesting to see the black booted wire; does anyone reproduce this style?  Also, the cap clips look like they are zinc plated - is this the norm?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rockhouse66 on July 12, 2023, 07:49:41 AM
Interesting to see the black booted wire; does anyone reproduce this style?  Also, the cap clips look like they are zinc plated - is this the norm?
If you mean the bell shaped coil wire boot at the coil then yes that is typical and what Marti sets come with unless you get a mis made one. I think the clip in the picture is more on the bare metal side compared to the most typical zinc phosphate. If it were zinc it would show up much brighter in the black and white photo IMO. No I don't think it is from a camera flash Ed. :o
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rockhouse66

Bob - no, I am asking about the 90 degree black boot on the threaded coil post on the end of the lead wire to the distributor. 

mygt350

I measured three I have and find they are 12", 15" and 17" from end of lug to where wire would protrude from the case. IFrom what I am told, the points plate on a 289 dual point is identical to a 427. Were 427 wires same lenget as their smaller brothers?

mygt350

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on July 12, 2023, 01:37:38 PM
I measured three I have and find they are 12", 15" and 17" from end of lug to where wire would protrude from the case. IFrom what I am told, the points plate on a 289 dual point is identical to a 427. Were 427 wires same lenget as their smaller brothers?
12" seems most typical.  The point plates are the same between a SB and a BB duel point. The BB coil wire was typically the same length as the SB coil wire.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rockhouse66 on July 12, 2023, 12:41:42 PM
Bob - no, I am asking about the 90 degree black boot on the threaded coil post on the end of the lead wire to the distributor.
For a long time Marti was putting a 90 degree boot on the coil side as well. Thankfully he changed that. The style in the picture of the 90 degree boot is the typical one I have seen on SJ GT350's. The Marti 90 degree coil wire boots are a different style (shape) and are a "tell" that they are not right for a GT350. They must be correct for some applications given he makes them up from engineer drawings just not right for 65-67 SJ smallblock's from what I have seen. 65-67 SJ smallblock's came from the same Cleveland engine plant and I assume the wire sets were installed there. 

mygt350

Thanks Bob for sharing your knowledge.

rockhouse66

I'm not asking about the ignition wire  ::)   The lead wire from coil to distributor.  Not the wire from distributor cap to coil.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rockhouse66 on July 12, 2023, 06:55:35 PM
I'm not asking about the ignition wire  ::)   The lead wire from coil to distributor.  Not the wire from distributor cap to coil.
Yes, the wire from the dist to the threaded terminal on the coil with the black eyelet for a hipo dist is reproduced. check the regular sources like NPD.