Author Topic: 1965 GT350 Barnfind  (Read 14900 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: 1965 GT350 Barnfind
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2022, 10:40:55 PM »
On the missing paint, the story I heard was the tarp that was on the car had become one with the car and when the tarp was removed, the paint came with it.

Cory

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2022, 01:01:53 AM »
I am jealous !
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2022, 04:19:03 AM »
Very cool
6S373
6S1276

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2022, 09:09:06 AM »
As much as I love the car and the find of all the goodies, the presentation of that would wear thin after a few showings. Explaining about the HAZ MAT... Rat feces, Bat guano, Mold spores and a host of other Nasties people could just look at photos of a before and after, to get an understanding of its history. Most would like the look of a fresh restoration , but then there are always the few that love the look and smell of decay. ;)

joephil

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2022, 09:43:13 AM »
Last summer (we can see behind the car the guy who pulled it out of the garage in the video)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »
FYI  - this just in....

It was actually West Cobb right off of Dallas Hwy! Imagine that... Urban legend that ended up being true.

It’s local to me, about 4-5 miles away. Local well known Shelby/ car enthusiast and racer. Literally he just fell off the radar from a lot if people.

Years and years pass and he left the house to take care of a family member. He never returned.

Obviously from the video, the house was in disrepair way before that and just got worse. Upon his passing, the estate was left to a family member that made 1 post about a Shelby steering wheel on FB and a inquiring car guy was the lucky one to find out the rest of the bounty.

Apparently there was like 15-17 total cars of all kinds of years, conditions and rarity.

Crazy story!

That’s the second car guy, collector, and car hoarder that had a collection like this less than 3 miles apart.

The other guy had Mountains of Hemi’s and Dodge cars!! I mean chicken coops full of rare Dodge/ Chrysler cars!!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2022, 03:47:56 PM »
These are some of the best story ideas around.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

bluemax

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2022, 05:11:12 PM »
Wow, what a cool story... guess I need to paying attention to these obscure for sale ads!  ;)
6S235

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2022, 10:39:25 PM »
Spooky car, incidentally.  Worthy of some sort of story or local lore.

Richard, I agree.  Those flaked off paint areas on the sides seem like pieces of the car's soul flying away.
Hey Van,
I already cooked up a horror story this afternoon based on this story.  I hope to have it up tomorrow or my Monday.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2022, 11:22:32 PM »
FYI Update-

It’s #269. It’s legit. It’s documented.

It was on display at the Fall Classic Shelby Show in French Lick Indiana.

Great guy that owns it now!

Couldn’t have found the perfect owner/ caretaker!

They restored the drivetrain and running gear but left everything else as is, untouched.

Crazy to see a car like that but also a next level cool factor too!

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

mtdubvee

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2022, 11:35:34 PM »
Hey guys. Finding the car was such an amazing experience. It was one of the absolute coolest things I have ever done. The story would blow peoples minds. The amount of unique cars and parts would also.

It all started with an ad being posted about a 66 Shelby steering wheel that a good friend of mine seen. After that was months of negotiations and literally hours of scouring through a couple houses wearing masks etc. The raccoons had literally taken over this house and the cars. The house was falling in.

The 65 had a cover on it when we got to it. The raccoons had been living on it, but not in it. The hood hinges were stuck and it wasn’t until after I got it back to my place that I was able to get it free by using a lot of PB blaster and wedges gently working the hinges high enough until I could get a 1/2 wrench to the bolts. Original engine was thankfully all in place but had a 2x4 Cobra intake on it with Carter carbs on it. The original intake, carb and air cleaner were in the attic with the wing nut still on thankfully preserved.

I decided to rebuild the engine, suspension, brakes, fuel lines, exhaust, rearend and go through the T10 to get the car back on the road safely. I simply cleaned the interior and it came out very nice and I didn’t have to replace anything.

The Cragars were polished and new Blue Dots were added. The calipers were redone by Jimmy Grindle back to concourse specs. The car runs and drives amazing.

One day I will paint the car and restore it top to bottom. For now, it will remain looking like hell, but in my opinion different from the others and still badass.

We pulled the car out in January of 2020. I spent 6 months going through it and took it to a local show in July, then the Indiana Fall classic. I’m sure this year it will go to a few shows.

Thanks for all the positive comments. It was definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever done in my life and I’m grateful to have the experience and to own 5S269 which I plan to keep for a very long time.

SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2022, 12:03:51 AM »
Great story, job and congratulations !

Hey guys. Finding the car was such an amazing experience. It was one of the absolute coolest things I have ever done. The story would blow peoples minds. The amount of unique cars and parts would also.

It all started with an ad being posted about a 66 Shelby steering wheel that a good friend of mine seen. After that was months of negotiations and literally hours of scouring through a couple houses wearing masks etc. The raccoons had literally taken over this house and the cars. The house was falling in.

The 65 had a cover on it when we got to it. The raccoons had been living on it, but not in it. The hood hinges were stuck and it wasn’t until after I got it back to my place that I was able to get it free by using a lot of PB blaster and wedges gently working the hinges high enough until I could get a 1/2 wrench to the bolts. Original engine was thankfully all in place but had a 2x4 Cobra intake on it with Carter carbs on it. The original intake, carb and air cleaner were in the attic with the wing nut still on thankfully preserved.

I decided to rebuild the engine, suspension, brakes, fuel lines, exhaust, rearend and go through the T10 to get the car back on the road safely. I simply cleaned the interior and it came out very nice and I didn’t have to replace anything.

The Cragars were polished and new Blue Dots were added. The calipers were redone by Jimmy Grindle back to concourse specs. The car runs and drives amazing.

One day I will paint the car and restore it top to bottom. For now, it will remain looking like hell, but in my opinion different from the others and still badass.

We pulled the car out in January of 2020. I spent 6 months going through it and took it to a local show in July, then the Indiana Fall classic. I’m sure this year it will go to a few shows.

Thanks for all the positive comments. It was definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever done in my life and I’m grateful to have the experience and to own 5S269 which I plan to keep for a very long time.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2022, 12:08:50 AM »
Amazing find. Something each of us wished we had the opportunity to find. For many of us, if we only knew what we know now many choices would have been made differently and more stories chanced down.

Enjoy
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2022, 12:13:33 AM »

very cool story and awesome find!!  Keep the car as it is and enjoy it. The story behind it is better than any restored car.  They are only original and unrestored once in their life.  Congrats!!🍻
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:19:42 AM by George Schalk »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2022, 01:56:19 AM »
Matt u need to take u 65 gt350   a short drive north to  ford carlisle this june for the special  feature  60th anniversary shelby display they are having this year as it will be the hit of the show the way it is now as everybody loves barnfinds now and we can have have another lobster party AGAIN.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:59:24 AM by Special Ed »