Author Topic: SAAC Convention 2022  (Read 7394 times)

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Re: SAAC Convention 2022
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2022, 12:11:20 PM »
I had a long and thoughtful conversation with Rick Kopec way back at SAAC-25 at Lime Rock about the future of SAAC. Rick was very insightful back then, and he did predict the way we are headed. High points include the value of the cars becoming so great, that they are relegated to museums and garages, no longer used.  Modern cars and built cars would be the open track participants. He also was very aware of the importance of the Registries, and how that would end up by beings SAAC's only strength. SAAC would ultimately only become a keeper of the records, a research group for the classic Shelby vehicles, and not do much more. He was not clear on future conventions, but was aware that the future would be prohibitively more expensive, and eventually new thinking would be needed.

He was pretty good at seeing the future!

My own opinion: We are at a critical juncture with conventions. Popularity is definitely waning. Attendance is way down. Costs are stupifying. The current trend is to combine with a stronger group, and we get what they give us. I do feel there are other options, ways to go, but it requires a major re-think. Many on this thread are voicing valid concerns. Where do we go after we use our credit at Indy?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 12:16:55 PM by Cobrask8 »

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2022, 01:08:19 PM »
Have you ever known the people that run SAAC to be responsive to the members?

Whether it’s forum reform, national conventions or anything else.

They are just riding this out as long as they can.

Personally I know a lot of people that are not sending SAAC dues for these very reasons.

The sad thing is there will be no recovery after they have run the ship into the ground

This sort of cracks me up, when a few of us ask about the LOOOONG overdue 67 registry we get pounced upon for asking. The above got an answer, we are still waiting....No offense to anyone, we know it is hard work, but by the time it comes out, won't there be many new owners, and time to "print" another one?

I agree..... from the time it was indicated 'at the printers' ... to now, or whenever it comes out, how many updates didn't get included ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2022, 01:11:30 PM »
Disclaimer: I am not SAAC management, nor do I play them on TV, I am an unpaid moderator of the classifieds of this forum, and in the memberslodge only. I have no link to insider information, official or unofficial from SAAC management.

This sort of cracks me up, when a few of us ask about the LOOOONG overdue 67 registry we get pounced upon for asking. The above got an answer, we are still waiting....No offense to anyone, we know it is hard work, but by the time it comes out, won't there be many new owners, and time to "print" another one?

My personal response above, was common sense from an event standpoint, as deposits are always considered non refundable  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2022, 01:15:37 PM »
Where do we go after we use our credit at Indy?

Back to a simpler time, and venue, as you and others have been putting on in the northeast for quite some time now.  Food, fun with friends, a one day car show, a drive in the countryside, and maybe even a movie, or a stop in to see someones private collection, or all of the above.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill S.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »
Will SAAC 50 be the last one? I remember the excitement of going to SAAC1. There was no open track just a parking lot full of day 2 cars. The track became a vital part of the event later and people took their $10,000 Shelbys and $100,000 Cobras on the track to have fun. Now the track is over run with late model cars. I'd guess only 3 of 10 cars on the track are originals - so does a track event make any sense anymore? The whole point was for owners to use their cars as intended and to let people see them in action. Another part of the conventions were the panels of those connected to SA in the 60s drivers, mechanics, crew members, etc. A majority of these people have passed away and it's very expensive to bring the survivors to a convention. In the past a lot came on their own dime to relive the memories. Today you need to send them a plane ticket, pay for their room and meals to get them to come.
So where does the future lie? I've no idea. The panel seems to be undoable today. Why pay for a track if such a small group wants to run their early cars. There are lots of track days around for late model cars. Since most of these cars are no longer daily drivers who will spend the money to trailer them to a "car show" convention? Would a parking lot with a few Shelbys be enough draw to get people to come?

As I said I have no idea but here are my thoughts on how to close out the first 1/2 century of SAAC.
SAAC 47 - Indy
SAAC 48 - Dearborn area - Ford's backyard - a test track - Ford pitching the 2023 Explorer based V6 electric future of the Mustang.
SAAC 49 - Willow Springs - Shelbys return home
SAAC 50 - Lime Rock - Backyard BBQ at Kopec's will be the highlight - Track Saturday - quiet car show Sunday.
SAAC 51 - A bunch of us old guys sitting in a bar telling lies --- er stories - then an UBER back to the airport.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »
shelby american is giving away a cobra at watkins glen ,thats vintage racing weekend .could that be saac 2022 .just saying

We could hold the evening program in the Bog. How about a bunch of Bogladytes burning some cars...... or a bus?

"The Bog wants pizza truck"  circa@ 1973
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
   We (sadly) have had the major changes outlined above that have hurt attendance. In '75 I DROVE one of my Shelbys the 1500+ miles one way to Wichita KS , raced it , and drove it back. The hotel was $30 a night and gas was UNDER $1 a gallon. total trip was under $500 by my notes from the day.

Fast forward. I would spend  close to $2,000 one way with my car hauling truck . $100 for a hotel stop on the way, and close to $200 in Indy . I could see close to a $6,000 outlay by the time I got back to CA. It is sad that it has come to this but it is reality. This doesn't include time off from work and the house / pet sitter. Tough for an hourly wage earner. Sonoma last year without my car was still over $1500 round trip.

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2022, 09:37:46 PM »
Phooey.

The SAAC annual convention/track day is still what I plan my year around. Last year, with covid, travel restrictions and a 3 day, $1000 extra hotel bill for quarantine, by myself with no near, it was still worth it. I will keep coming as long as I can race down the world's most famous racetracks, smell the 120 leaded and hear a big block FE at 6000rpm.

See you all at Indy.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2022, 06:16:35 AM »
A sad running joke in my family is that it appears just about every year a SAAC National convention is announced I have prior family commitments so I have only been to one (Pa 2019) in the last 20 years. Fathers day weekend  is a family event at Greenfield Village as it is every year for the Motor Muster. So all of you going please take a lot of pics and share. My vert has not been to one since 1990. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Lfino

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2022, 06:47:23 AM »
Will someone assure me that Indy is not as crime ridden as I'm told.
How many shelbys and cobras parked outside at night.
Just asking.

427Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2022, 07:04:31 AM »
I think June 16 to 18th is also a SVRA event at Indy.

Anyone from Indy area that can recommend a decent hotel, as my search has indicated most hotels in the immediate area of the host hotel are not highly rated? Not sure what the SAAC rate will be, but $275/night is out of my budget. Still deciding if I'll drive my car from Florida or trailer, so I can run one open track session. Anyone from Florida driving or wants to caravan? Will be leaving from the Daytona Beach area if all works out.

Don
gt350bpHi Don, I will be staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Brownsburg, $125.00-$138.00 a night. It's a very nice hotel. It is directly west of the speedway, about 10 minutes, right off of I-74. Nice area, plenty of restaurants. The area where the host hotel, is not a good area, and you also have to deal with the airport traffic. I have trouble understanding why they choose a hotel in this area again. Brownsburg is a very nice, clean, safe town, and they cater to the automotive crowd. You have a lot of race teams in Brownsburg, John Force, just being one of them. Many car clubs use the Brownsburg hotels for there events. Close to Raceway Park, the Speedway, downtown, etc. Hope this helps. Good luck. 

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2022, 07:05:27 AM »
Just asking.

The hotel is near the airport, and OK. The Speedway is locked and guarded. The neighborhood surrounding the speedway is questionable, but I trust you are not leaving your car outside the speedway?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:23:33 AM by Cobrask8 »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2022, 07:45:27 AM »
Just asking.
What you can do is what I have done when traveling to venues over the years. Research cities at City-data.com. Hasn't failed me yet. It was especially helpful when going to Talladega back in 2007 as we stayed near Birmingham, Al and I can tell you the demographics of cities change dramatically around there. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2022, 09:16:34 AM »
Just asking.
What you can do is what I have done when traveling to venues over the years. Research cities at City-data.com. Hasn't failed me yet. It was especially helpful when going to Talladega back in 2007 as we stayed near Birmingham, Al and I can tell you the demographics of cities change dramatically around there. Gary

There is/was a minor league baseball team there. They were in town and I was looking for something to do.

I asked the desk clerk about it and she said, "OH! That's 'Downtown'. Lock the car doors and 'TAKE YOUR KEYS!'  ".  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2022, 09:45:42 AM »
It is one of the most Dangerous cities in America... Look it up. Similar to OAKLAND California, rather unassuming looking until you see the statistics, and talk to the locals. :-[