Author Topic: Who needs an R-Model gas tank?  (Read 4691 times)

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Who needs an R-Model gas tank?
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »
I'm getting ready to have a tank fabricated from new Dorman mustang tanks using the original plans including the original style baffles. Don't know the price yet but I'm sure they will be cheaper if they make several so let me know if you're interested in having one. I'll post progress on negotiations with fabricator and plan to get photos during construction to document originality of construction.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Who needs an R-Model gas tank?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 05:41:15 PM »
I'm getting ready to have a tank fabricated from new Dorman mustang tanks using the original plans including the original style baffles. Don't know the price yet but I'm sure they will be cheaper if they make several so let me know if you're interested in having one. I'll post progress on negotiations with fabricator and plan to get photos during construction to document originality of construction.
Just a thought , the R model tank will be expensive to make and at the end of the day a authentic built one will not be legal for most vintage racing venues. Fuel safe has made a fuel cell bladder which has the foam (like baffles) inside to go inside a R model configured tank. They are expensive too but you can use two empty bottom halves and modify the one for the top to accept the quick fill . The two bottoms are held together at the points that the tank is held into the trunk . Screws or bolts. Not much welding involved if at all that way which cuts done on cost . This will look just like the genuine and will appeal to more people because it is safer and can be used in vintage racing venues if so desired . I think the cost will be comparable . You can contact fuel safe about specs if you want to check into going that way.
     https://fuelsafe.com/motorsports/fuel-cell-parts/fuel-cell-replacement-bladder/    Just a thought. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 06:48:14 PM »
I had Fuel Safe do my first custom R-Model bladder in 1996. I'm now on my third after using one of their standard 22 gallon early Mustang fuel cells because the cost has gone vertical. My latest custom bladder is back in the car and the cost was around $1,800 when figuring the boxing and shipping. The custom fuel cell is the way to go if in the budget and you are looking to do a high-end replica. I sure would not want to use a welded tank that holds 32 gallons in an early Mustang if you have any intentions to drive on the street. I have over 16,000 street miles on my replica and I would strongly recommend a fuel cell.

Attached are a few photos of the latest Fuel Safe bladder that fits the R-model tank. The new bladder is made to work with up to 10% ethanol.

Don
gt350bp 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 07:07:09 PM »
Don was the one who sold me on the idea. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 09:25:13 PM »
So what's the lifespan of one of these tanks? You wore out two of them in 4 years??

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 10:14:26 PM »
Michael Eisenberg in Bend, OR makes the tanks for the Original Venice continuation cars.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 01:11:48 AM »
So what's the lifespan of one of these tanks? You wore out two of them in 4 years??
I was told that the foam breaks down in 10 years and is why the bladder needs exchanged .

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 08:52:12 AM »
My second Fuel Safe bladder lasted 56 months of a 5-year warranty and certification. I ended up buying a early Mustang fuel cell and used it for years until it also became a problem with leaks. I bit the bullet again in 2019 and bought the latest version shown in the photos. My custom cells were never a problem with the foam baffles but the fuel cell material itself. It became brittle and would eventually start seeping into the metal tanks.

One of my problems is the outlet fitting in the bladder and a #6 fuel line fitting running to the electric fuel pump. It is difficult to get a stable attachment of the bladder to the bottom tank and there is a vibration that works on the outlet fitting of the bladder. I made a slightly different cover and attachment method on the latest version.

If you decide to do the custom bladder to fit the two R-Model tanks, figure sending the tanks to Fuel Safe to ensure a correct location of the vent, LeMans filler and the outlet fitting into the bottom tank.

Hope this is of help.

Don
gt350bp

jesSPR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 02:38:22 PM »
I have a half dozen filler flanges that would help with this project.
Jes

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
I think original tanks use a 1/4" thick ring that allows the flutes of the tank to weld to it. This gives a flat surface for the LeMans fuel filler to be flush.

Don
gt350bp

jesSPR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 03:23:29 PM »
Yes, thats what I posted the pic of. It shows the bottom side that fits with the ribs.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »
I have a half dozen filler flanges that would help with this project.
Jes
What is the price Jes?

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 08:47:06 PM »
I found that a 1/4" thick plate ring did not need the flutes as the ring was thick enough to allow welding to the tank high and low flutes.

Don
gt350bp

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:35 PM »
I read a comment somewhere that the original tanks just had the ribs hammered out flat enough to weld to the flange for the filler. That sounds typical of what's been said about Caroll Shelby taking the fastest/cheapest/easiest path to the solution of any particular problem. I've wondered about the details of that flange in terms of 1) is the hole in the top of the tank cut to the diameter of the outside of the flange or the inside diameter? 2) do the threaded holes in the flange go through to the inside of the tank or do they dead end at the bottom of the flange? Anybody got answers?

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 11:43:34 PM »
I have only see one damaged one and it had the ribs just hammered down perfectly and the splash buck was just bolted or screwed to it? Not sure if the metal ring is needed to be welded in if going that route? Wish I really knew..