Author Topic: Transition from Early Shifter Handle to Later Version?  (Read 1391 times)

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Transition from Early Shifter Handle to Later Version?
« on: January 25, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »
On Brant's recent blog showing the details of the restoration of an early (VIN unknown) '65 GT350, he mentions and shows that this particular car has the early version '64-1/2 abrupt bend shifter handle.  I'm curious as to just when that was phased out.  I've been unable to find any information in cyberspace that answers this question so I'm posting it here. 
5S071, 6S1467

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Transition from Early Shifter Handle to Later Version?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:53 PM »
On Brant's recent blog showing the details of the restoration of an early (VIN unknown) '65 GT350, he mentions and shows that this particular car has the early version '64-1/2 abrupt bend shifter handle.  I'm curious as to just when that was phased out.  I've been unable to find any information in cyberspace that answers this question so I'm posting it here.

From my observations, you see them on the "first batch" of '65 GT350s. After that, I'm not so sure that you will see.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »
Brant, that's really the point of my question:  Just how many of the "first batch"?  Surely, not all 100+.  Can we hear from those with the early cars? Please indicate if you have a "bent stick" or a "curved stick".   Sorry, it's just a great way to describe this. :)
5S071, 6S1467

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:06:44 AM »
Brant, that's really the point of my question:  Just how many of the "first batch"?  Surely, not all 100+.  Can we hear from those with the early cars? Please indicate if you have a "bent stick" or a "curved stick".   Sorry, it's just a great way to describe this. :)

Based upon my observations, those in that Ford VIN range had the early shift handles. That's based on later VINS having the early handle in addition to earlier ones. It's a pretty tight group of the same first three digits as you probably know. Of course, there is no way anyone can say every one had the early handle.

I will say that I have even seen an early handle in a car in the "next batch". Is it original to the car? We will probably never know.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang