Author Topic: SAAC 47 Open Track Day Thoughts For Newbie  (Read 2028 times)

Mongoose930

• View Profile
SAAC 47 Open Track Day Thoughts For Newbie
« on: January 31, 2022, 05:28:22 PM »
I have been a SAAC member for many years, but I don't often sign-in and for some reason, I was unable to sign-in today.  That being said, I am planning on attending SAAC 47 and trailering my Cobra from NH.  The last SAAC event I attended was Pittsburgh and I did parade laps at the track and really enjoyed it.  I am just now starting to consider doing an open track day at Indy and I want to make sure I have a clear understanding of what is entailed.  I am good wearing a harness and helmet (I have done a few autocross events), but I am not an experienced track driver, I will not be going that fast and I know it is not a race.  Am I jumping into the deep end of the pool and should stick to parade laps only?  It took me 7 years to build my cobra and I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but I don't want to feel like I am in a full bore race putting my car at risk.  Again, I have never done anything like this so looking for some advice.  Thanks

Mongoose930

• View Profile
Re: SAAC 47 Open Track Day Thoughts For Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 05:45:44 PM »
A few pictures of my car at SAAC 44.  It is an aluminum-bodied Hi-Tech - AZ.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:41:23 PM »
There are typically 4 levels of "driver experience" to cover those like yourself to those that are more experienced.

Also there are some that are willing to help guide less experienced along.

Your autocross history is a plus and get a copy of the tech inspection list and be sure your to spec, the car and your required equipment, before you leave home.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 10:18:59 PM »
All clubs - Race organizations, have a marking system for the different skill levels of the participants a dot/ stripe etc, signifying skill level of driver. They typically will keep the group seperated by skill levels, not allowing Beginners to run with PRO drivers for obvious reasons. As long as you have the typical requirements like helmet, seat belts, fire extinguisher and are able to get out of the way of possible fast guys in your group you should have a great time!

Mongoose930

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 10:29:37 PM »
This is great information - Thank You!!  I will see if I get a copy of the tech inspection list.  I do have a helmet and fire extinguisher mounted in the car.  I have lap belts and will install my shoulder belts before I leave for SAAC.  With regard to the different run groups, do they go out at different times so that all of the new drivers are together and at a different time, all of the more experienced drivers are out?  I have also done a few PCA DE events, but that was years ago.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 10:47:04 PM »
Most practice sessions are dependent on how many cars show up, most of the time there are plenty of each skill level to try their hand out on the track Not sure what they do if only one newbie / beginner shows up ? More can chime in on how and if that scenario presents itself.

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 01:10:14 AM »
Welcome to the Club. Nice looking car!

I have autocrossed since the 80's and just started doing Track Days in 2019, so I'm fairly new to them as well. I started with a HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) group called Hooked-On-Driving, or "HOD" for short. They have a nice write-up on their website about getting started with Track Days. This is the HOD website: https://www.hookedondriving.com/first-timers/#beginner. There are several other organizations, like SCCA, the have similar introductions - just search for "beginning HPDE".

I ran the Track Day at SAAC-46 last summer in Sonoma and had a blast. SAAC runs their sessions slightly differently than HOD, but they are very similar. This HOD website might answer some of your questions.

On a (maybe) related note: At SAAC-46 last summer, a member by the screen name of "gt350hr" organized an informal drag racing session. I had never done that before. That was an absolute hoot as well. I don't know if SAAC will have access to a drag-racing track at Indy, but if they do and if gt350hr (or someone else) repeats this at SAAC_47, I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, I won't make it to Indy. Have fun!
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 07:58:14 AM »
My advice is to sign up for the "B" group. "A" is fast drivers with really fast cars, sometimes faster than their drivers. "C" and "D" tend to be older street Mustangs and the like and you may find yourself stuck behind a Granny out for a Sunday drive. You can always pull in to get more room in front of you, but in a big block Cobra, you use up that cushion fast unless you soft pedal the straightaways.

Not an official word, just my experience.

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 12:27:15 PM »
I am a veteran of 35+ years of track experience, a NASA Instructor for 17 years, and worked Tech/Hot pits/Flagging at most of the the last 25 SAAC conventions.

No doubt you should START in the beginner's group. Learn the track, learn your car. Do NOT try to go out and kill it first session. You can always move up. You'll be amazed how much you have to learn, and starting in a faster run group will completely overwhelm you, and you will be dangerous.

Remember - you are taking out a Cobra on the track the first time you are going on track. These cars have earned the Widow-maker" reputation for a reason. If your car is set up for the street, it will be "twitchy", nervous, terrify you in fast corners, and most probably you will snap spin at some point. Learn the track and your car slowly, much for fun.

Why do I say all of this? I race a FFR Cobra. The track set-up is completely different from the street. I have seen Cobras spinning more often than any other car. I stopped instructing in Cobras because of the drivers determined to be Ken Miles the first time out. Be sensible.

SAAC run groups do not have instructors, and typically the drivers are not as keen to the rules of the track, than with other HPDE groups, such as NASA, Chin, HOD, and others. Be extra careful. Learn all the rules. Attend any and all classes, de-briefings, meetings. Learn passing rules, passing zones, and WATCH YOUR MIRRORS! (I may be that guy wanting to pass you, driving a rental car!)

I'll be there, not sure if I will have my FFR there. Let's talk if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 12:49:59 PM by Cobrask8 »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 03:13:01 PM »
Tech is pretty easy - 2 throttle return springs, belts, fire extinguisher, no loose wheel bearings, leaks or stuff in the trunk.
Start slow and don't be one of those guys who is in the way in the corners but too fast to pass on the straight. If some guy is all over your bumper don't let him force you into driving beyond the limits you have set for yourself. Let him go by at the first passing zone you get to.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Mongoose930

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions - Thank You!!  I am very excited about the prospect of taking my car out on a truly iconic racetrack.  I am in my mid-fifties and I am not out to prove anything.  It took me over 7 years to build this car and I am in no rush to put it into the wall.  I practically hyperventilate when I am driving go-carts... On the other hand, what is the point of having an awesome car that is never driven the way it was meant to?  Not to be dramatic, but at this stage of my life, you need to appreciate every day and I am not saving this car for the next guy!!  Looking forward to having a great time in Indy.  I will be slow, but I will get out of everyone's way.  Lots of planning and research yet to do and I am sure I will have a lot more questions.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 02:03:23 PM »
  Pay close attention to the correct helmet requirement.  They check that.

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 03:01:50 PM »
For me, the surprise equipment requirement at SAAC-46 was for "fire-resistant gloves".
I'd never seen that in my dozen or so track days. It might have been a Sonoma Raceway request rather than a SAAC mandate, but ask about this at Indy to be prepared.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.