Author Topic: Tach mounting screws  (Read 5321 times)

Rocket

• View Profile
Tach mounting screws
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
Just wondering about the screws, and metal standoffs used to mount the tach in a '66 Hertz. I installed a new dash pad back in the mid 70's, and do not remember any of the tubular spacers going thru the pad under the tach. The tach had pulled way down into the old dash pad, so don't think it had the spacers. I would really appreciate pics of the screws, and spacers. I'm going to install my tach tomorrow. I just got it back from being restored by Phil. Thanks in advance.  Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Tach mounting screws
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »
As posted on the old lost forum

Have many more - just was was handy and already up loaded

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:27:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff, That shows me what the screw heads look like, and how the spacers are almost as thick as the dash pad. I'll have to find some spacers at the hardware store, or fabricate some out of copper tubing. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

6S280

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
Does anyone have the dimensions of the spacers?  I believe they were available on the site before the crash.  Thanks.

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »
I took a screen shot from Forum 1 (original thread reply from October 14,2014 by 6S2020) and the screw info. and dimensions are as follows:

Screws are phillips pan heads 1 5/16" long.

Spacers are 11/16" long, 1/2" diameter (OD) w/1/16" wall.

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
Jim Cowles sometimes has the spacers for sale.  He should have the dimensions.

Steve
SFM 6S406

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
I think I remember reading a post on that old thread not all of the cars had the spacers.  Maybe I am thinking of something else.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
I replaced the dash pad in the mid 70's, and do not think 550 came with spacers under the tach. I say that due to the tach base being pulled way down into the dash pad. Ron

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »
These were the original screws on 6S1757 when I bought it in 1987. Although they are not what is typically found I have seen them on several other (mainly later) cars so not sure where they fit in, if at all. The OE tach was replaced in 1967 so maybe that has something to do with although I can't see why whoever replaced it wouldn't reuse the OE screws.

Dave

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
Dave - Just sharing and not meaning to be argumentative in any way. I've never seen that style of trim screens on a regular 66 original cars early or later

Often we don't understand why others or prior owners did things and if we shared all of those sorts of findings the thread would be mighty long. :)  Suggest that if you feel that they are original to start collecting others that are identical from the same period of construction at Shelby and only from cars that have not been restored to start with.

Closest I have close to  6S1757 is pictures of the 6S1732 that Brant did that also had the pan heads

Wonder if the new tach kit came included mounting screws that that might explain it. Just thinking out loud

Here is another example from a pretty late example - 6S226x

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
1122 came with panhead screws and no spacers. feb 66 car. phred

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
1431 came with the kind of screws in the last picture, just look like a black pan head screw, had two cheap plastic tubes for spacers. Thye were black and looked like somebody took a couple of cheap Bic pens and cut them up for the spacers
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »
1122 came with panhead screws and no spacers. feb 66 car. phred

1134 has panhead screws and no spacers.  It is also a Feb 66 car.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
1431 came with the kind of screws in the last picture, just look like a black pan head screw, had two cheap plastic tubes for spacers. Thye were black and looked like somebody took a couple of cheap Bic pens and cut them up for the spacers

Yep part of the problem is all the possible owner fixes, changes and so on after 50 years of use and ownership brings with it.  Our car was only driven for about 7-9 years and I've always have to be careful and not take everything immediately at face value though it is tempting to do.

Got to be cautious and evaluate everything I find or see.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
Dave - Just sharing and not meaning to be argumentative in any way. I've never seen that style of trim screens on a regular 66 original cars early or later

Often we don't understand why others or prior owners did things and if we shared all of those sorts of findings the thread would be mighty long. :)  Suggest that if you feel that they are original to start collecting others that are identical from the same period of construction at Shelby and only from cars that have not been restored to start with.

Closest I have close to  6S1757 is pictures of the 6S1732 that Brant did that also had the pan heads

Wonder if the new tach kit came included mounting screws that that might explain it. Just thinking out loud

Jeff,

No worries, that's why I threw it out there. Just wondering if that style screw may have been OE and seen on other cars. I have seen it on only 2-3 other cars including this photo of 6S2086, not sure where I got that but probably when it was making the rounds on ebay and auctions. I'll look through my photos to see if there are any more examples.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - 6S1757