News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

C7 Z06 - Willow Springs

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, February 02, 2022, 12:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA Coupe

427heaven,were you there because I was.  Quote (I wouldnt say it is 95% fiction)

Jack Schroll and I were about 200 yards behind when the car went off and we were doing about the same speed which was around 110 to 120 not 180. Jack and I were first on scene while cars kept going for another 2 laps because the tower could not see what was happening. I told Jack to go to the pits to shut down the track and get his wife who worked in the ICU. The car was upside-down and Rod had blood coming out of every orifice and was gurgling, I figured he was a goner. Lynn was hanging upside-down in the seat belts and I tried to release them but with his weight on them I couldn't but I was able to unscrew some bolts and get him out and on the ground next to the car. People finally showed up and went to flip the car over with Lynn right next to it but I stopped them and told them to move him which they did but only about a foot or two and went to flip the car over again which would have probably killed him so I made sure he was moved far enough and then walked away. As new people showed up I told them they probably didn't want to see the aftermath. I don't remember Lynn bleeding but he was shaken up and bruised and did make it to the dinner that night.
The owner of the car showed up at the scene and just sat down and cried when he saw everything. One interesting thing about the car was that it had old style Centerline drag race wheels on it 🤔

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

TA Coupe

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 04, 2022, 04:28:58 PM
^^^ What year was that?  I remember hearing about the crash, but I wasn't at that event.
I think it was 76 or 77. It was my first time at the track and I remember asking myself afterwards if I really wanted to get into open tracking. That was quite the introduction for me!!!

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

427heaven

That was a long time ago 40- 45 years ago... 79-81? Drivers helmet looked like a hardboiled eggshell crumbled... Horrific!

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

Yes speed and distance statements by car owner are off. The blood on Lynn was probably Rods.

and yes
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless