News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Correct fuel line clamp

Started by tonys_shelby, February 03, 2022, 06:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

What is the correct fuel line clamp for the line coming off sending unit?  Crimp? Tension? 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on February 03, 2022, 06:10:29 PM
What is the correct fuel line clamp for the line coming off sending unit?  Crimp? Tension?
Crimp.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

I believe the "crimp" - don't have a Osborn assembly handy, others will chime in...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rbwiii

Crimp clamp without the divet if you want to be accurate.

J_Speegle

Typically they would not have the preformed deep "divots" or depressions  in the clamp band as seen in the pictures above on originals. Those appear to be reproduction of one of the newer versions 

Same ones used at the front of the car from solid line to fuel pump. On later cars the ones used along the driver's side frame rails are the band style

Later version at the front frame rail for others looking for additional details

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tonys_shelby

Great. Thanks for the pictures.

s2ms

To dive a little deeper into the crimp style clamp...

Don't remember where, but somewhere I've read that OE crimp clamps marked with a "C" logo we assembly line correct for 67 and earlier, and the "E" logo marked clamps 68 and later. Would like to get clarification on that.

Thanks.

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 03, 2022, 09:22:59 PM
Typically they would not have the preformed deep "divots" or depressions  in the clamp band as seen in the pictures above on originals. Those appear to be reproduction of one of the newer versions 

Same ones used at the front of the car from solid line to fuel pump. On later cars the ones used along the driver's side frame rails are the band style

Later version at the front frame rail for others looking for additional details

To add to Jeff's comments the spring clamps at the torque box are olive drab identified 5/16 sized.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tonys_shelby

" c " marked clamp very helpful I'll have to see what I purchased. Along with the clamps the fuel line looks unmarked with "gas" in all the pictures if I need to address this would be the time. I have a one piece fuel line. And should line by tank and before pump be same, with or without "gas" markings.

JD

Quote from: s2ms on February 03, 2022, 10:34:25 PM
To dive a little deeper into the crimp style clamp...

Don't remember where, but somewhere I've read that OE crimp clamps marked with a "C" logo we assembly line correct for 67 and earlier, and the "E" logo marked clamps 68 and later. Would like to get clarification on that.

Thanks.

Guessing this "C" and "E" relates to the line size;
5/16 = '67 and earlier and
3/8 = '68 and later
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Special Ed

Later type 3/8''  use 590 marked

CharlesTurner

Quote from: JD on February 04, 2022, 09:36:09 AM
3/8 = '68 and later

The '.590' on the clamp should indicate the size.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on February 04, 2022, 05:29:30 AM
" c " marked clamp very helpful I'll have to see what I purchased. Along with the clamps the fuel line looks unmarked with "gas" in all the pictures if I need to address this would be the time. I have a one piece fuel line. And should line by tank and before pump be same, with or without "gas" markings.
The hose at the tank and before the pump typically had the gas gas gas markings.

s2ms

Quote from: CharlesTurner on February 04, 2022, 10:24:48 AM
Quote from: JD on February 04, 2022, 09:36:09 AM
3/8 = '68 and later

The '.590' on the clamp should indicate the size.

Yes, both clamps are the same size, both marked .590, so don't think it's a fuel line size thing. The "C" clamp shown above was part of an NOS C5AZ-9155-B Rotunda filter kit so should be correct for 5/16" line. Just don't remember where I read it was a 67/68 change.
Dave - 6S1757