News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Correct oil filter

Started by tonys_shelby, February 09, 2022, 07:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

Is this the correct assembly line  oil filter for early 500?

Tired Sheep

No

The assembly line filters were painted blue with the engine

tonys_shelby

Is that what everyone is doing for SAAC judging? If so what filter are you starting with just a standard FL1A and spray it?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on February 09, 2022, 09:15:04 AM
Is that what everyone is doing for SAAC judging? If so what filter are you starting with just a standard FL1A and spray it?
The shape of the crimp on the end is different on a standard FL1A filter compared to the vintage version. You take the repro and paint it . Although they are painted blue I do not think that they were painted blue on the engine. They were a common lunch pail part taken from the engine plant already blue . It would be obvious if one was missing off of a engine. They may have gotten some overspray over the already blue surface from the engine painting process however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

FL1a  is a shorter mid 70s and up filter. The assembly line filters were painted black and blue depending on the year by the filter company then sent to ford. The FE engines used an aluminum oil filter adapter that never got painted over so those FE filters never got engine paint on them but i think the engines that had the filter screwed into the side of the block got painted over again when engine was painted. I had a used blue autolite filter that was found in an old box out of an old ford dealership and 1 side  of the filter had  heavy paint runs going down the sides of the filter going towards the end of filter where the crimps were and the bottom side of filter had just a thin coat of blue paint.  So that tells u the filter was  pre-painted blue them screwed on the side of block at an angle then the block was painted and paint ran down  and around the the filter flowing towards the crimped end since  the filter is at an angle when installed on the side of block. I have assembly line ford filters here that are  early black and  later blue autolite and motorcraft painted filters. So to be concours correct on an fe engine filter should have a light coat of paint covering the whole filter and on a 289 302 351 filter should have heavy paint on the top side with runs flowing downwards. I have some black short break in filters also that came from ford plant but not sure which engines they were supposed to be used on and havent seen any blue short break in filters  so not sure when that ended.

tonys_shelby

Hum. Very interesting with the black and the blue color stuff.  I don't know what a " lunch pail part" is. I've heard that term before but never asked what it means. So I'm thinking paint the aftermarket one in the picture with correct crimp ( I see what you're talking about) paint it blue, let it dry, spin it on the engine mark how it's clocked pull it off paint on a heavy coat with runs.  I don't want blue over spray getting on everything. Sound about right?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on February 09, 2022, 11:15:21 AM
Hum. Very interesting with the black and the blue color stuff.  I don't know what a " lunch pail part" is. I've heard that term before but never asked what it means. So I'm thinking paint the aftermarket one in the picture with correct crimp ( I see what you're talking about) paint it blue, let it dry, spin it on the engine mark how it's clocked pull it off paint on a heavy coat with runs.  I don't want blue over spray getting on everything. Sound about right?
Parts that were pilfered from the plant were hidden in the workers lunch pail hence the name. Unless you were detailing for DIV I concours I would not do any involved nuanced detailing. Just paint it blue and install it. The color and shape are the most important expectations .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tonys_shelby

Ok will do Bob. I'm going to compete in Div II. Thanks.

Special Ed

Tony u missed the part in my post about FE engines  (gt 500) having added  aluminum (unpainted) oil filter adapters after engine block paint then 1 thin coat blue filters added. The small blocks and 351s had filters on side of blocks and those engines would have added  filter paint when engine painted since they screw on side block and dont use an adapter.

tonys_shelby

Oh I got that now thanks. I misread that part. Thanks. I didn't paint the adapter so that's good, it didn't look like it ever was.