News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

FE starter heat shield

Started by shelbydoug, February 11, 2022, 09:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Is there supposed to be a heat shield for the starter or is it supposed to get cooked like right up against the exhaust manifolds?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

No shield, so get your steak out!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 430dragpack on February 11, 2022, 10:35:12 AM
+1 .Not so close with factory exhaust but typical aftermarket header tubes surround it closely . Gear reduced style gives most clearance and best performance with headers on a FE IMO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 11, 2022, 10:44:25 AM
+1 .Not so close with factory exhaust but typical aftermarket header tubes surround it closely . Gear reduced style gives most clearance and best performance with headers on a FE IMO.

The headers are not an issue. The factory iron GT manifold is. It's right on top of it.

The engine is still on the stand and I am trial fitting the exhausts now. I've got a set of "pre-owned", "pre-fit" Hookers (with the previous installers added fitment dimples) and they have a couple of inches in all directions for the starter.

I have no previous experiences with the factory iron manifolds so I was more then a little surprised to see how close the starter is to it.

Now, I'm wondering if hot starting issues are partially a roasted starter situation?

It does look like changing a starter with headers on is going to be a little bit of a juggling act though?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 11, 2022, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 11, 2022, 10:44:25 AM

The headers are not an issue. The factory iron GT manifold is. It's right on top of it.

The engine is still on the stand and I am trial fitting the exhausts now. I've got a set of "pre-owned", "pre-fit" Hookers (with the previous installers added fitment dimples) and they have a couple of inches in all directions for the starter.

I have no previous experiences with the factory iron manifolds so I was more then a little surprised to see how close the starter is to it.

Now, I'm wondering if hot starting issues are partially a roasted starter situation?

It does look like changing a starter with headers on is going to be a little bit of a juggling act though?
Starter dragging on a already hot engine isn't typically a issue on a stock engine as many hundreds of thousands of FE applications with stock type exhaust has demonstrated without significant Ford TSB etc. Although the hotter the starter is the less efficient it is a rebuilt over bored tight engine that is over heated (expanding parts and causing tighter clearances can put a heavy load on the starter causing it to drag is my suspicion that the hard starting mostly stems from.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby