Author Topic: Hone o drive 9inch 411 to 298  (Read 3396 times)

Jbarela

• View Profile
Hone o drive 9inch 411 to 298
« on: February 12, 2022, 12:57:50 PM »
Not mine but saw it on my FB page. $7000 Seller is Robin Miller

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Hone o drive 9inch 411 to 298
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 03:10:26 PM »
Not mine but saw it on my FB page. $7000 Seller is Robin Miller
Cool item and was on my dream wish list back in the day.  I hate the lever that typically has to be mounted on the tunnel so that the driver can engage or disengage Hone unit. Modern high torque 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions can be retrofitted in a similar fashion to the Hone but with the advantage of being made all but invisible from the interior. Also typically less money and more durable. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:04:01 PM »
Still has that cool day 2 factor

Good luck with finding a new home for it
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »
In a quick Google search, a bunch come up for sale between $1500 and $2600.

Robin Miller the auto journalist passed August of '21.

Is there something special about this particular unit that makes it more valuable?

I knew of two installed in Shelbys. One a 68 GT350 and one a 69 GT350.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 08:03:30 PM »
In a quick Google search, a bunch come up for sale between $1500 and $2600.

Robin Miller the auto journalist passed August of '21.

Is there something special about this particular unit that makes it more valuable?

I knew of two installed in Shelbys. One a 68 GT350 and one a 69 GT350.
Yes way too much money. The ad may have "original Shelby" proviso to get the value up. Or just a guy fishing for a sucker.
Weren't these available through Shelby Parts at one time???
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 10:01:47 PM »
Weren't these available through Shelby Parts at one time???

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 10:05:33 PM »
Pretty sure that it is a different Robin Miller.  ;)
'Rocket" Robin Miller is from B.C. Canada. He sought out and collected all of the 'Cougar' cast parts from the Shelby Catalog.
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/17479/31579/shelby-dealer-ordering-packet-/-how-to-sharpen-your-cats-claws-nos-1967-mercury-cougar.html

This Robin Miller even built a Cougar with the parts. Called it the G-Force Cougar.
https://classiccougarcommunity.com/articles/g-force-cougar-the-g-car-that-could-have-been/

There is also a short clip on the youtube showing the engine.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 11:00:26 PM »
I spent a while finding one the past couple of years.  The big price difference is the Ford 9" diff mount.  The universal ones are all over the place for $1500-$2000.

The one's that mount directly to the Ford 9"s are tough to find, and while I didn't pay anywhere close to $7000, the last one I saw sell (that I didn't purchase) was around $3000.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 05:04:23 AM »
That fella on FB has recently been selling off a large stash. (He is in Canada btw)
He has some really cool stuff, in large amounts.
The prices are all extremely high.
Now that doesn’t bother me at all, I figure if a person wants it, so be it.

His descriptions seem (trying to find word) “gimmicky” and some details border on falsehood.

Fun stuff to look at nonetheless

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 09:01:06 AM »
The picture of the bolt on to the 9" rear reminds me that there was a listing for the '69 Cougar Eliminator of a two speed rear.

Now personally I have never seen it but I do remember asking my parts guy, who was and still is a Boss 302 aficionado, and as I recall he said it was a Ford truck two speed rear assembly?

The Hone may be a better idea, for the time but frankly anything you do to a Ford one piece rear design brings up spring control issues.

What is the picture of the "Cougar rear" with the red truss? Is that supposed to be the Mustang IRS with a brace on it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
Just a question, but what happens if you hit a large bump in the road and that rear end takes a nice hit (shock)? Does the unit break off from the sharp bounce?
RARE  Signature Delete

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 02:04:12 PM »
The picture of the bolt on to the 9" rear reminds me that there was a listing for the '69 Cougar Eliminator of a two speed rear.

Now personally I have never seen it but I do remember asking my parts guy, who was and still is a Boss 302 aficionado, and as I recall he said it was a Ford truck two speed rear assembly?

The Hone may be a better idea, for the time but frankly anything you do to a Ford one piece rear design brings up spring control issues.

What is the picture of the "Cougar rear" with the red truss? Is that supposed to be the Mustang IRS with a brace on it?

I believe the red truss is a Fays2 watts link.
http://www.fays2.net/
Scroll down and you'll see a picture of it

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Blackcar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »

I believe the red truss is a Fays2 watts link.
http://www.fays2.net/
Scroll down and you'll see a picture of it

Roy
That is a Fays 2 Watts link installed.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 10:34:44 AM »
   Doug the Cougar two speed was made by Dana Corp. and  was based on a Dana 44 Salisbury style differential. It was a solid axle . The cost proved to be too high and the project was scrapped. I believe two units were supplied to LM Division . An old Car Craft magazine had pictures of the complete unit.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

C6ZZGT

• Brian,member since 88.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 01:41:55 AM »
Pretty sure that it is a different Robin Miller.  ;)
'Rocket" Robin Miller is from B.C. Canada. He sought out and collected all of the 'Cougar' cast parts from the Shelby Catalog.
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/17479/31579/shelby-dealer-ordering-packet-/-how-to-sharpen-your-cats-claws-nos-1967-mercury-cougar.html

This Robin Miller even built a Cougar with the parts. Called it the G-Force Cougar.
https://classiccougarcommunity.com/articles/g-force-cougar-the-g-car-that-could-have-been/

There is also a short clip on the youtube showing the engine.

Robin and his twin brother Richard have been buying and selling Ford parts for probably 40+ years now. They have had some cool cars over the years . I went to school with them.
6R07A143871,since 10/83
selling parts since 1981.