News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hole vs. Slot

Started by SFM6S087, May 12, 2018, 02:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S087

I noticed a minor difference in these two pictures. 6S033 has a HOLE where 6S933 has a SLOT.

As a carryover, 6S033 was built from a 1965 chassis. Is that the difference? Did this change occur with the 1965/66 model year change? Or was it phased in at some arbitrary time like so many other minor changes?

Thanks,
Steve

6S033 has a HOLE:

6S933 has a SLOT:

98SVT - was 06GT

Probably phased in by Ford to make assembly easier. Slot is easier to locate than a hole on the jig. Some assembly line guy probably got $100 for the suggestion. My uncle was at the Cleveland engine plant and got the max award Ford would give (they were based on time and material savings). His simple suggestion was not to paint the roofs of cars that were getting a vinyl top. All of you guys that have run into the rust problems that caused now know who to blame.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Special Ed

Thats funny but true about the $ for a good suggestion on the assembly line as i got a bunch of paper break room cups from Ford dearborn assembly line with different colors & slogans on them & the brown cups promote the Suggestion & i found a wadded up paper cup under the carpet of one of my 69 shelbys reads  (we're all ears (with picture of rabbit  with tall ears ) for good ideas) then under rabbit (lets hear them through the suggestion program ford motor co. & a red coffee cup says (perk up quality with a fresh idea) & an orange cup (ideas light the way (picture of a lighthouse) sumit yours today. I have 15 of so different cups left & years ago when i got these from an old assembly line inspector ( the guy on the 66 67 68 mustang factory postcards u see for sale out there) i gave away many ford cups pencils napkins etc. items i got from him. He took a empty lunch box to work everyday but came home with a full lunch box . I still have his white dearborn assembly line inspector uniform (the one in the postcard photo) & clipboard pencils & his rubber stamp etc.

98SVT - was 06GT

Ford was so anal on cost saving that they got samples of parts from suppliers and checked the thickness of paint. The slot vs hole costing would have been broken down to include how much extra scrap the slot created over the hole and its value. 1/2 a cent on millions of cars adds up.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM6S087

Any idea when this change occurred?

Steve