News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Finishing touch questions for a March 66 Hertz car

Started by hertz350, February 19, 2022, 09:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

Looking for help on these questions:

Stainless trim around gas pedal pad?

Finish color of the steel trans cooling line fittings at the radiator?

Rivit color on interior quarter window panel black plastic trim?

Correct number on running horse mounted on grill. C4ZB?

Thanks for the help!

Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

poboy427

Stainless trim on the pedal was not offered with the standard interior. Assembly line shortages could have seen some trimmed pedals in standard interiors but that might be an anomaly. 

Qrtr window trim rivets were gloss blk and are available from Brant @ Virginia Classic Mustang.

C4ZB emblem is what was on 6s554 Hertz (Nov '65) and believed to be original.

Yes the emblem orients a tinge crooked when in place due to the spacing of the grille. You maybe have been there already.

Open to other opinions

Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

Bob Gaines

Quote from: poboy427 on February 19, 2022, 10:19:30 PM
Stainless trim on the pedal was not offered with the standard interior. Assembly line shortages could have seen some trimmed pedals in standard interiors but that might be an anomaly. 

Qrtr window trim rivets were gloss blk and are available from Brant @ Virginia Classic Mustang.

C4ZB emblem is what was on 6s554 Hertz (Nov '65) and believed to be original.

Yes the emblem orients a tinge crooked when in place due to the spacing of the grille. You maybe have been there already.

Open to other opinions

Ray
Good information and not a big deal but thought I would offer the opinion that the rivets were black anodized which although has a sheen it is more of a satin then it is a high gloss. The satin blends in better to the satin looking trim compared to glossy also. The most important thing about this detail is that they are black and not silver regardless of the sheen.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hertz350

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know what finish the trans cooler line fittings should be?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on February 19, 2022, 11:11:29 PM
Thanks for the info.

Anyone know what finish the trans cooler line fittings should be?
Bare steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 19, 2022, 11:02:46 PM
Good information and not a big deal but thought I would offer the opinion that the rivets were black anodized which although has a sheen it is more of a satin then it is a high gloss. The satin blends in better to the satin looking trim compared to glossy also. The most important thing about this detail is that they are black and not silver regardless of the sheen.

Is there a way to "recolor" original rivets that looks natural and not obviously redone?

The windows on my 66 have never been disturbed, ~75% are silver. They must have faded quick, have a photo showing the inside from 1973 and black vs. silver rivets is the same today as it was then.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - 6S1757

poboy427

Quick drying semi gloss and a fine brush. Krylon satin or semi gloss comes to mind. Spray some into the cap and get to dabbing. Best result is to get them in one dab so no build up is evident.

Originals are brittle. I would resist changing rivets if you can. Snapping in new rivets could cause the rivet hole area to chip out.

Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

Bob Gaines

I think a cheapy air brush setup from Harbor freight and a mask to use for around the rivet would give the best finish if painting in place . Of course tape off the plexi . I would be afraid of brush strokes even with a fine brush.