News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby Hubcaps

Started by Thanx2cs, February 20, 2022, 06:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

From the Shelby paperwork

"...it will be necessary to balance the wheel and tire assembly together on the car with the wheel cover installed"

"...balancing weights on the inside of the wheel"

That's what the 1968 recommendation was

TedS

Sorry to be late getting back to this but my car is in remote storage and it took a while to get to it. I've worked on cars for over 60 years and most if not all hubcaps I've encountered could be damaged if hit anywhere other than around the outside rim. 68 hubcaps have a very robust center section with the cast spoke portion. I'm sure a lot of folks know this but here's my method of installing. Align the hole in the cap with the valve stem and start that area into the steel wheel. Holding this position with one hand take a rubber mallet and hit the spoke opposite the valve stem about a third of the way down the spoke. Angle the blow a back toward center. One good measured blow will most likely seat the eagle claws into the wheel all the way around. You can then continue to use the mallet to strike all around the hubcap rim to seat it as much as it will go. I could never get the hubcap rim to seat flush to the wheel. You can use the heal of your hand in place of the mallet but I have such delicate hands that would never work for me. :-)

I also found a flat (wide) prybar works well for removal. Its wide enough not to distort the rim and will dislodge the cap with one motion.

Regards
Ted