News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Dash pot purpose and function

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 21, 2022, 01:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA Coupe

Try spraying a small amount of silicon lubricant on the plunger and see if it frees it up and it starts working again correctly.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 22, 2022, 06:22:32 PM
The 68 Holley dashpot bracket is different then the 69 version.
Do you have a side by side comparison Bob of the brackets? My pic was to show Corey the Dash pot and placement for a Holley. That Holley on my 70 is a U service replacement and bolted on at a show to replace a problematic 67 390 Holley  carb and I haven't taken it back off yet years later because it runs too good. My 4300 is shelved and has been for a while.
Bob, my friend is contemplating putting a Holley on his engine(currently had AL intake and 4100) and wants to make sure it has the correct dashpot bracket. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Corey Bowcutt

I sure wish I could post a picture of my setup.  It agrees with others that have sent me pictures for a 68 GT350 Holley setup.  But it is very different from the pictures shown of the dashpots mounted to the Holley carb specifically reply #20.

BTW I have lubricated my dashpot with no luck.  It slides in and out full travel pretty smoothly but clearly takes more force than my return spring provides.

Corey

Corey Bowcutt

With a little experimentation I was able to post a picture.  Not easy but at least it worked.

Corey

68gtcoupe

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 23, 2022, 08:12:51 AM
I sure wish I could post a picture of my setup.  It agrees with others that have sent me pictures for a 68 GT350 Holley setup.  But it is very different from the pictures shown of the dashpots mounted to the Holley carb specifically reply #20.

BTW I have lubricated my dashpot with no luck.  It slides in and out full travel pretty smoothly but clearly takes more force than my return spring provides.

Corey

Being that is an original spring Corey, perhaps finding a new (stiffer) one and finishing it so that it at least "looks the part" might be an option. 

Terry

Royce Peterson

Looks like your application uses a C8 Autolite dash pot with the 600 CFM Holley carb.

The one in post #20 is the Holley dash pot you can buy right now from Holley. Not correct for your application.

The return spring and bracket should look like this if they are properly installed.

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 23, 2022, 09:53:34 AM
Looks like your application uses a C8 Autolite dash pot with the 600 CFM Holley carb.

The one in post #20 is the Holley dash pot you can buy right now from Holley. Not correct for your application.

The return spring and bracket should look like this if they are properly installed.

Reading your post Royce "not right for your application" is that a ref to your pic(Holley)or his(autolite)? Is the throttle return spring available anywhere? Royce, is that return spring bracket at the base supposed to be "curved" up like that?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Royce Peterson

Corey's photo shows a Holley carburetor with an Autolite dash pot. The return spring bracket is available from Mansfield Mustang. Not sure which return spring Corey needs - it may be Shelby specific.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

The 302 return springs are reproduced, however they are not correct. The GT 350 spring is not unique.

I am not sure which dashpot would be correct.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 23, 2022, 10:15:34 AM
Corey's photo shows a Holley carburetor with an Autolite dash pot. The return spring bracket is available from Mansfield Mustang. Not sure which return spring Corey needs - it may be Shelby specific.
My friend's car has the original spring return bracket. It was bent like a rounded  open "C". I straightened it out with some pliers Charles mentioned that worked great but that pic in Royce's post shows the bottom part of the bracket being curved. Should it be straight like the pic below that was sent to me by another member a few months ago? Thanks.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

68gtcoupe

The return spring and return spring bracket on Corey's car are both original and correct for his application.  The items were removed from an unmolested 1968 J-Code 302.

Terry 

Corey Bowcutt

By the way that sketch is from me.

Corey