News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

428 Cobra bellhousing finish

Started by laforum, February 26, 2022, 11:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laforum

On a 1966 Cobra with a 428, how should the bellhousing be finished?  I have seen bellhousings that are painted dark Ford blue, others that are painted black, and some that are raw cast iron.

shelbydoug

I believe that the "correct historical" finish would be natural cast iron with blue overspray around the intersecting edges with the block.

It's kind of nasty looking that way.

I've also seen blue over spray on the transmission on the top as well over the yellow paint brush markings on the transmission itself.

It's all a haphazard pattern and varies a little according to each unit.

I dare say that the first time things were taken apart most were "cleaned up" and made not to look like they were done by a blind wine-o.?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2022, 12:02:59 PM
I believe that the "correct historical" finish would be natural cast iron with blue overspray around the intersecting edges with the block.
Yes and block plate,bolts, clutch fork and boot should be in place. Also no paint near starter.
Transmission not involved

shelbydoug

Quote from: TLea on February 26, 2022, 12:18:14 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2022, 12:02:59 PM
Yes and block plate,bolts, clutch fork and boot should be in place. Also no paint near starter.
Transmission not involved

Those should have blue over spray also? What about the inner equalizer pivot?

FYI, I've seen blue over spray on the 4 speed tailshafts quite a bit. Maybe caused just by the angle of the gun? I personally wouldn't do haphazard overspray though. That's just me and not historically correct I know.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2022, 01:28:46 PM
Those should have blue over spray also?

Not typically given their location in relationship to what was being painted, the sharp edge forward of those item that would have, most of the time, created a shadow or mask for the area. Guess their always could be some paint floating around but think mist IMHO rather than a coat of paint. Barely visible and only if held close to your eyes. Also consider the possibility that if that took place it would rest on the top surfaces, edges only 

Of course there is always that one guy who is not paying attention, talking to the other guys that can create the exception :)  but not typical and not something to be repeated unless IMHO you have documentation from your original engine

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2022, 01:28:46 PMWhat about the inner equalizer pivot?

Don't believe that bracket was on the engine
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

I've seen it on the boot but not typical

shelbydoug

How do the paint markings on the Ford T&C manual transmissions vary from year to year on the Shelbys?

The transmissions would all have been assembled at one plant and shipped to the assembly plants? So the markings don't vary?

Should I start another thread on this?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 01, 2022, 07:52:28 AM
How do the paint markings on the Ford T&C manual transmissions vary from year to year on the Shelbys?

The transmissions would all have been assembled at one plant and shipped to the assembly plants? So the markings don't vary?

How much variation - some.  Yes top loaders were all built at the same plant but practices (in this case markings) changed over time and varied due to type of transmission and who built and inspected the item. Then in some cases the transmissions were marked more when they got to and and installed at San Jose. Some basic marks and locations are common an d standard but even though the locations of the markings are the same some of the specific markings made at those locations changed based on type of trans and year.

If your transmission is missing the original marks you are best served. if you choose to, replicating marks from the same year and type that borrowing from different years and types IMHO. Remember someone will see what you applied and simply take the easy route assuming that you did your homework so they don't have to and in turn be wrong.

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 01, 2022, 07:52:28 AMShould I start another thread on this?

Yes and you can likely ask it to be separated and made a new one from your initial post on the subject
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge