News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

replacing wing nut bolts that hold air cleaner plate

Started by Copescobra, March 02, 2022, 11:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copescobra

I recently lost my original wing style bolts to the top of the air cleaner plate.
thought I put them in my pocket but obviously screwed that up....

My mechanic commented that they are slightly larger than most you will find at Home Depot
or places like that.
Any idea who or where to go to find a replacement set? 
1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302

Corey Bowcutt

Bob Gaines

I have such a hard time posting pictures here it was easier to post on the concours forum and provide a link to the post and picture here. Others there hopefully will benefit too.    https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=26306.new#new   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Neither of my air cleaner tops have notches for the wing nuts. What are they supposed to look like?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 02, 2022, 07:00:21 PM
Neither of my air cleaner tops have notches for the wing nuts. What are they supposed to look like?
Don't panic the diecast oval lids were typically plain. The genuine early sand cast lids typically had the indentations . The hipo lids and a large portion of other sheet metal lids had the indentations to lock in the wing nut. Sorry I am not going to fight the picture posting gauntlet tonight. I sure wish someone would put a quarter in the meter and get it going.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

There was a Ford Pinto flat washer that I came across that has a thin rubber on one side, and has quarter notches in it. It is chromed and works well with the wing nut which to me looks like a generic Ford air cleaner wing nut.

The wing nut is easy to come up with the washer is tough.

Someone needs to wake up the moderator here to fix the picture scenario. It sounds like it's above his pay scale or just doesn't care?

There have been cracks showing here all over the place for some time. At some point this is all going to crash completely for good.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

My Cobra 2x4 top has 2 indentations going front to back for each wing nut but my NOS Shelby Autosport SFMK-9600-C 2x4 top doesn't.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Copescobra

Thanks Corey,

I googled them and hope I got it correct for AMK.....
AMK Products Winchester PA fasteners

1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on March 02, 2022, 10:53:52 PM
My Cobra 2x4 top has 2 indentations going front to back for each wing nut but my NOS Shelby Autosport SFMK-9600-C 2x4 top doesn't.

Roy

My two original pressure molded tops do not. I'm wondering exactly how many variations there are of these components, including the bases?

I'm not sure anyone can say scientifically how many there are, just speak in generalities and maybe we shouldn't even use the term "original" since there really isn't documentation that would hold up to a jury in a court?

I'm thinking they are similar to the 10 spokes in that sense?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill Collins

Quote from: Copescobra on March 02, 2022, 11:44:17 PM
I googled them and hope I got it correct for AMK.....
AMK Products Winchester PA fasteners

It is Winchester but in Virginia (VA) not Pennsylvania (PA)

https://www.amkproducts.com/about/catalogs/
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Lincoln tech

"Pinto"washer was used on many Ford engine applications, but I think that started in the 70's                                                                                                                                                                     
  air cleaner nuts = 1 with dimples and 1 without ( where did I get this one ??? ) Sorry I took picks but uploader is full ??

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Lincoln tech on March 03, 2022, 09:30:31 AM
"Pinto"washer was used on many Ford engine applications, but I think that started in the 70's                                                                                                                                                                     
  air cleaner nuts = 1 with dimples and 1 without ( where did I get this one ??? ) Sorry I took picks but uploader is full ??
The one without dimples will work but is not historically correct .The one with one dimple is the most common ,the wing nut with two dimples was least common but also used.I have only seen that on on 65-67 applications but that doesn't mean it was not used later. The wingnut style being discussed with no dimple is a knock off IMO. AMK Products sells the correct looking one as mentioned before.

TA Coupe

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 03, 2022, 06:36:52 AM

Roy

My two original pressure molded tops do not. I'm wondering exactly how many variations there are of these components, including the bases?
I have 4 different original bases. One with a 90deg fitting, one with a curved tube to the right, one with a curved tube to the left and one completely different with ribs on the bottom side and a rubber plug where a tube could go. Part number S7MS 9600 B  Does anyone know what that one is for?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on March 03, 2022, 07:00:25 PM

Roy

I have 4 different original bases. One with a 90deg fitting, one with a curved tube to the right, one with a curved tube to the left and one completely different with ribs on the bottom side and a rubber plug where a tube could go. Part number S7MS 9600 B  Does anyone know what that one is for?

Roy

Gaines is your best bet. Is the spider one cast or pressure molded/cast?

I don't use the term original or reproduction. I just describe them and let the interested onlooker determine that. I can't prove it either way.

There are just too many variations I've come across and no one has seen all of the 67 GT500's when then were going out the door at SA plus a really good reproduction could fool anyone anyway.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TA Coupe on March 03, 2022, 07:00:25 PM

Roy

Roy
It sounds like you are describing two different styles of Shelby bases. Sand cast vs die cast.I can say that the only duel four base with the S7MS and ribs is diecast . It could be ether a over the counter version without the fitting or one that someone has modified. I have not seen evidence that the base was serviced separately.  The assemblyline base would have had a elbow fitting . The 90 degree version was only used on the sand cast version. The original is a steel fitting and not a cast aluminum. The correct steel fitting is swedged in and although difficult will swivel with enough force . If it is cast in then it is not a original Shelby base.  The later style version of the sand cast base  has the curved steel fitting. The fitting is swedged in place. You should be able to swivel the right and left facing curved elbow with enough persuasion . These are some general details but there are more nuanced ones.  The only way I could say for sure is to see pictures of the bases.