News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sentimental Shelby/mustang people

Started by 68cobra427, March 05, 2022, 11:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68cobra427

Do you know someone that has a great car but does nothing with it nor will they sell it. Sad to see it sit !

I know of a few and have made offers for purchase , they have no reason to let them go other then sentimental.

68 GT350 convert project in pieces.
68 GT500 fastback orig owner hole in block.
70 Boss 9 , last ran 10 yrs ago bad paint. Now stinks of mice urine. Sad

Let's here your stories?

Lots of reasons for that to happen.My car was off the road for 20 years(smog/financial issues)but I stuck it out and now I am driving it again.Much more fun this way.Bought it when I was 18 in 82 and knew from the moment I saw it that "hell or high water"I would never sell it.If that is "sentimental"color me guilty.Btw cars don't like to sit for long periods of time(even with regular starts).Guess how I know. :o

shelbydoug

You have to keep putting cash in their hands until they say yes. Everything is for sale. You just need to pay enough to make the deal.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: 68cobra427 on March 05, 2022, 11:45:41 AM
Do you know someone that has a great car but does nothing with it nor will they sell it. Sad to see it sit !

I know of a few and have made offers for purchase , they have no reason to let them go other then sentimental.

68 GT350 convert project in pieces.
68 GT500 fastback orig owner hole in block.
70 Boss 9 , last ran 10 yrs ago bad paint. Now stinks of mice urine. Sad

Let's here your stories?

I recently came across (2) 65 GT 350's sitting outside for decades.
Real cars.
Just being neglected.

Owners just not "quite" ready to let them go.

I know where a 67 GT 350.
Same answer....

Lincoln tech

My Kr was parked in the garage for 28 years without moving , family,house,fishing,scuba diving and other in trusts in life became more fun,plus after fixing cars all day long last thing I wanted to do
is to play with cars when I got home, But she's running again today ( wasn't easy )  ;)

Bill

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 05, 2022, 12:09:33 PM
You have to keep putting cash in their hands until they say yes. Everything is for sale. You just need to pay enough to make the deal.  ;)

Doug,

What happens when you run across an owner who does not need the money? I know of 3 separate owners, all in the Morris County NJ area who are like this, a 65 GT350, 68 GT350 convertible, 68 GT500 fastback, and 71 Boss 351 between the three of them. All have not been out since the late 80's, all have rebuked multiple offers, none of them need the money, to them, the cars sentimental value is worth more than green paper in their hands.

Bill

PS: I have right of first refusal on the 68 GT350 convertible  ;D
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bill on March 05, 2022, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 05, 2022, 12:09:33 PM

Doug,

What happens when you run across an owner who does not need the money? I know of 3 separate owners, all in the Morris County NJ area who are like this, a 65 GT350, 68 GT350 convertible, 68 GT500 fastback, and 71 Boss 351 between the three of them. All have not been out since the late 80's, all have rebuked multiple offers, none of them need the money, to them, the cars sentimental value is worth more than green paper in their hands.

Bill

PS: I have right of first refusal on the 68 GT350 convertible  ;D

The answer is the same but the price there is just too high.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 05, 2022, 04:26:46 PM

Removed the details of my last post, suffice to say, 2 out of the 3 would laugh at you, no matter how much money you threw at them, they are just those types of guys, very down to earth, but know what they wanted, and now that they have them, won't ever sell them while they are still alive.

The 3rd is a wildcard, catch him on the right day, with a large Samsonite suitcase full of $100 bills, and you never know. His Boss 351 is nice, but not that nice if you know what I mean. It does however stand out in the crowd of vintage Ferrari products he has in his storage building.

Bill

FL SAAC

Quote from: 557 on March 05, 2022, 12:01:42 PM
Lots of reasons for that to happen.My car was off the road for 20 years(smog/financial issues)but I stuck it out and now I am driving it again.Much more fun this way.Bought it when I was 18 in 82 and knew from the moment I saw it that "hell or high water"I would never sell it.If that is "sentimental"color me guilty.Btw cars don't like to sit for long periods of time(even with regular starts).Guess how I know. :o

+/- 58
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Yes, they won't sell, don't need the money,  blah,  blah, blah

Once they kick the bucket the wife doesn't want it as it was always number one in his eyes and she was always second (this also applies to the kids)

The kids don't care to drive that smelly old car that belongs in a third world  country and has no ac or new world amenities, what a clunker

Show me the money !

Of course you will find an exception to the rule,  but I see that less and less today

I have all UNGOLD cars

Quote from: FL SAAC on March 05, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Once they kick the bucket the wife doesn't want it as it was always number one in his eyes and she was always second (this also applies to the kids)

The kids don't care to drive that smelly old car that belongs in a third world  country and has no ac or new world amenities, what a clunker

Show me the money !     Slap a good sound system in it and maybe just maybe the youth of today will show more interest....maybe....Hey I'm an optimist. ;)

Of course you will find an exception to the rule,  but I see that less and less today

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Quote from: 557 on March 05, 2022, 07:28:45 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on March 05, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Show me the money !     Slap a good sound system in it and maybe just maybe the youth of today will show more interest....maybe....Hey I'm an optimist. ;)

And Trent said  :

Slap a good sound system in it and maybe just maybe the youth of today will show more interest....maybe....Hey I'm an optimist. 

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bill on March 05, 2022, 05:42:35 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 05, 2022, 04:26:46 PM

Removed the details of my last post, suffice to say, 2 out of the 3 would laugh at you, no matter how much money you threw at them, they are just those types of guys, very down to earth, but know what they wanted, and now that they have them, won't ever sell them while they are still alive.

The 3rd is a wildcard, catch him on the right day, with a large Samsonite suitcase full of $100 bills, and you never know. His Boss 351 is nice, but not that nice if you know what I mean. It does however stand out in the crowd of vintage Ferrari products he has in his storage building.

Bill

Some think that this is all fate or a function of it? If it is meant to be...

In almost 50 years, I've only been approached once by a substitute "Mailman" on my '68. He offered me $800 and a '73 Pinto.

I get delivery people and people "walking the dog" all the time passing by saying something like, "hey that's nice. What is it? If you ever want to sell it, let me know?"

Everything I have is for sale but maybe you do need to come with a bag of money and put it in front of me?

Oh wait, I do remember a guy pulling up to the driveway and inviting himself in when I had the Pantera in the driveway with the engine out and the wiring harness dangling. He said, "was that on fire?".

He had a Renault Alpine. What a piece of dog du-du. He wanted to trade for the Pantera. He wanted $20,000 and the Pantera for the Alpine. I just excused myself to the bath room.

I recall he came back at one point with the engine in it and he talked the car down. I said when have YOU "EVER" SEEN  a Pantera with aluminum "high port heads, 180° headers and Webers?" He didn't know WTF I was talking about.

You can see these A-holes coming a mile away. You have to be serious to be taken seriously. Why do you think I have these cars? I was looking for a pickup truck and the Pantera looked like a mini-one from the back? Get real.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 06, 2022, 07:26:32 AM

In almost 50 years, I've only been approached once by a substitute "Mailman" on my '68. He offered me $800 and a '73 Pinto.

Doug,

I've been offered all sorts of trades when I had the 69 GT500 up for sale, late model Mustangs, boats, motorcycles, vintage Cessna aircraft (in pieces), even an ex-wife with kids thrown in (a SAAC member from California who shall remain anonymous) . Not one of those offers appealed to me, nor made economic sense. The biggest PITA, a guy with a 2017 GT500 Shelby was pretty adamant that his car, with 70,000 miles on it, was priced right at the value of mine, as was visibly upset when I gracefully declined his offer, telling me I was crazy not to take the deal he offered. Regardless of his and others offers for trade, I had specified I was "making space for a new purchase", can't understand why people could not grasp that concept.

Bill