Author Topic: Intel Request  (Read 1506 times)

Treatstone

• View Profile
Intel Request
« on: March 06, 2022, 07:14:03 AM »
Greetings everyone,

I'm Henri, a new member on this forum and happy to have found some useful information from the whole community. I live in France.
I'm owning a Mustang GT350R (and I don't know if it's a real deal or no). This is the post's reason.

I bought it to an old man who passed away, and his family do not find any more documents/history regarding the car. I'm calling the forum for help in identifying it if possible.
Long story short :
It's a 65 Fastback (VIN : 5F09A313508 // Data : 63A-X-26-11M-23-1-5). When I bought it, it had many original Shelby parts installed and some modified but still not new (my mechanics compared to a real GT350R and found the same parts, same wear) :
- fiberglass 65 R model apron
- duct for cooling brakes
- side 66 scoops (with ducts to brake as well)
- rear drum brakes (possibly fairlaine)
- quarter 66 plexiglass/perspex side windows
- stewart Warner period correct instrumentation and gauges
- hood rod and no more springs
- 4 koni shock absorbers
- period correct Shelby drop (for lowering A arms)
- fiberglass 66 dash pod gauge
- period correct competition belts and 4 points safety harness for driver (brand M&R from NOV95)
- radio block off plate (mounted near two switch)
- electrical fuel pump (linked to dash switch)
- battery mounted in trunk
- export brace and anti roll bar
- correct 65 R model roll cage
- traction bars
- dual side exhausts with glasspacks
- fiberglass rear shelf for spare tire

Before me buying it the family told me that when the old man bought it, the car came with a racing/drag setting :
- 351 competition prepared engine
- high capacity fia/sfi fuel tank with red metal case
- axle oil recuperator in the trunk
- vintage facet fuel pump
- exterior kill switch mounted on the rear right end (above the battery located in the trunk)
- competition clutch with red painted massive bellhousing
- GT350 '67 fiberglass hood (still on today)
- hurst shifter (still on today)
- rear axle ratio 4.11:1 (still on today)
- water radiator with small plastic expansion tank
- no carpets, no sound deadening and no heat insolation

It also have an old participant sticker of the Monterey Historic edition from 1997 (sticked to the roll cage driver side) with wear though.
There was also a Shelby SFM plate that came with the car but not attached to it, mainly damaged at more than 80% and can only read '6'.
There is also an original Cobra logo mounted on the front grille at the right (at the opposite of the mustang logo located on the left).

What I think it might be a 65 fastback bought at that time (according to VIN) and got shelbyfied with period correct parts, taking part into 97 Monterey edition, before ending to this old man in France who just put a 289 engine back in, and carpets/upholstery.
SO if you can help me finding some history on this car, old pictures or anything I'll be very grateful. Perhaps one of it previous owner is a member of this forum ! Perhaps one of you saw it on US events, that's why I listed parts and everything I know.
I thank you all in advance for helping me and hope you all do well.

Best regards,
Henri

PS : Hope my English is good and understandable.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:31:31 AM by Treatstone »

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Intel Request
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 07:42:11 AM »
Greetings everyone,

I'm Henri, a new member on this forum and happy to have found some useful information from the whole community. I live in France.
I'm owning a Mustang GT350R (and I don't know if it's a real deal or no). This is the post's reason.

I bought it to an old man who passed away, and his family do not find any more documents/history regarding the car. I'm calling the forum for help in identifying it if possible.
Long story short :
It's a 65 Fastback (VIN : 5F09A313508 // Data : 63A-X-26-11M-23-1-5). When I bought it, it had many original Shelby parts installed and some modified but still not new (my mechanics compared to a real GT350R and found the same parts, same wear) :
- fiberglass 65 R model apron
- duct for cooling brakes
- side 66 scoops (with ducts to brake as well)
- rear drum brakes (possibly fairlaine)
- quarter 66 plexiglass/perspex side windows
- stewart Warner period correct instrumentation and gauges
- hood rod and no more springs
- 4 koni shock absorbers
- period correct Shelby drop (for lowering A arms)
- fiberglass 66 dash pod gauge
- period correct competition belts and 4 points safety harness for driver (brand M&R from NOV95)
- radio block off plate (mounted near two switch)
- electrical fuel pump (linked to dash switch)
- battery mounted in trunk
- export brace and anti roll bar
- correct 65 R model roll cage
- traction bars
- dual side exhausts with glasspacks
- fiberglass rear shelf for spare tire

Before me buying it the family told me that when the old man bought it, the car came with a racing/drag setting :
- 351 competition prepared engine
- high capacity fia/sfi fuel tank with red metal case
- axle oil recuperator in the trunk
- vintage facet fuel pump
- exterior kill switch mounted on the rear right end (above the battery located in the trunk)
- competition clutch with red painted massive bellhousing
- GT350 '67 fiberglass hood (still on today)
- hurst shifter (still on today)
- rear axle ratio 4.11:1 (still on today)
- water radiator with small plastic expansion tank
- no carpets, no sound deadening and no heat insolation

It also have an old participant sticker of the Monterey Historic edition from 1997 (sticked to the roll cage driver side) with wear though.
There was also a Shelby SFM plate that came with the car but not attached to it, mainly damaged at more than 80% and can only read '6'.
There is also an original Cobra logo mounted on the front grille at the right (at the opposite of the mustang logo located on the left).

What I think it might be a 65 fastback bought at that time (according to VIN) and got shelbyfied with period correct parts, taking part into 97 Monterey edition, before ending to this old man in France who just put a 289 engine back in, and carpets/upholstery.
SO if you can help me finding some history on this car, old pictures or anything I'll be very grateful. Perhaps one of it previous owner is a member of this forum ! Perhaps one of you saw it on US events, that's why I listed parts and everything I know.
I thank you all in advance for helping me and hope you all do well.

Best regards,
Henri

PS : Hope my English is good and understandable.

Ok, so you already realize it is not a real Shelby, but a nice fastback with Shelby type pieces on it. As for the Monterrey sticker, I cannot find it listed in the show field, more than likely a sticker sold over the counter for the event itself (I have a similar sticker on my toolbox here on the east coast). Sounds like a fun car, just no real connection to a real Shelby.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 10:46:39 AM »
Here’s your history:

http://americanclassicscars.com/ford/73979-1965-ford-mustang-fastback-289-4-speed-a-code-posi-trac-rear-end.html

Original GT350 “R” models are in the $800,000 USD  (730,000 Euros) plus range.

Your wallet would know if you have one 😀

Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 03:13:27 PM by Coralsnake »

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
Post pics.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 11:21:51 AM »
Hi Henri

Welcome aboard and enjoy that mustang!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Treatstone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »
Hello all and thanks for your answers.
I googled my VIN but did not found any results so you found better intel than me :)

I will post pics as soon as I get back home for sure. I will post them here.
Thanks also for all the documentation that is in this forum !

Have a nice day,

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 05:06:48 PM »
It would NOT have participated in the Monterey Historics. They are really picky on only letting cars with well documented period racing history participate. They pass out a lot of "participant" stickers so owners and their crew could get their street cars into to track and pit/paddock parking areas.

66 did not have a gauge pod. R Models did not have a roll cage - just a roll bar. Over or under traction bars?

Bottom line not a Shelby, not raced at Monterey, I hope you just paid for the car and not the story.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:13:44 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless