News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Clicks the right buttons, mustang custom

Started by Harris Speedster, March 09, 2022, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

Guys,
The Mustang II was one of the smallest Mustangs ever made.\
The group that designed this car, clicked the right buttons in my opinion.
Bad Ass looking, and would have to be REAL fast.
What appears to be a Grabber Blue variation, make it happen also.

The stance, the just so slightly wider hips,>> the exotic looking rear visual etc, click the right buttons?
The front end reminds me of the 05 cars.
WHAT SAY THE MUSTANG GERU"S ?

https://www.motor1.com/news/571997/1978-ford-mustang-ii-restomod-more-gt500/
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

pbf777

Ya'  know, they say as time passes ones' memory mostly retains the "good times" and "high lights", but there are also the instances of the heights of distress and trauma; and I'm still trying to forget the time I was considering (for a very short period!  ::) ) the purchase of a brand new '77 MACH I to replace my '72 MACH I, fortunately I woke-up and realized it was only a passing nightmare, even if I was actually physically sitting in the drivers' seat of that yellow '77 in contemplation, I could still run!   :o

O.K., on the topic blue car, it does look better, to bad it wasn't production then, but I also seem to get Vega influence vibes in there, which although 'period', really doesn't help either.    :-\

Remember, you asked!   ::)

Scott.

98SVT - was 06GT

For some reason I think Charlie Kemp's tube frame Mustang II was a little more than 125 thou. And yes I'd drive this one even without a radio.
PS - it's probably got more ponies under the hood too.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

I like it,brings it into the present day.

FL SAAC

Three  things:

1) everyone has to acknowledge that with out the Mustang II, we would not have a mustang today . So thank you for that

2) that little mustang looks awfully good with all the modifications

3) that price is out of my league,  got to remember im the guy still looking for a 66 GT350 for $80k

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on March 09, 2022, 03:45:01 PM
everyone has to acknowledge that with out the Mustang II, we would not have a mustang today . So thank you for that
Sure we would - Henry has a penchant for resurrecting cars and names. What the Mustang II actually did was fog Ford's marketing and engineering staff into thinking they could foist a front wheel drive econobox off on the fans as a Mustang. There was such an uproar that final rear bumper production tooling (and other parts) saying MUSTANG was scrapped and new tooling made that said PROBE.

Based on the Mazda MX-6 as a sport compact coupe, the Probe was intended to fill the market niche formerly occupied by the Capri in Europe, and it was originally intended to be the fourth generation Ford Mustang in the North American market as a direct competitor with the Acura Integra, Isuzu Piazza, Nissan 200SX, and the Toyota Celica. During that time, Ford's marketing team had deemed that a front-wheel drive platform (borrowed Mazda GD and GE platforms) would have lower costs for production, and also because the platform had been gaining popularity with consumers.

Mustang fans objected to the front-wheel drive configuration, Japanese engineering, and lack of a V8, so Ford began work on a new design for the Mustang instead.

FL SAAC

But then.......

In October 1973, less than a month after the 1973 Ford Mustang II went on sale, the Middle East's oil-producing nations announced that, in retaliation for supporting Israel in the Yom Kippur War, they were cutting production. They were also banning oil exports to several countries, including the United States. Oil prices skyrocketed, gasoline was rationed, and blocks-long lines formed at filling stations.

For Ford, this was serendipity wrought huge. MotorTrend named the Mustang II its 1974 Car of the Year, writing that it was "the right size at the right time for the greatest number of motorists. Not small enough to be cramping, and not big enough to be excessive."

Iaccoca was more succinct.

"Sometimes I think we're luckier than we are smart," he said. "Here we come up with a 20-mile-per-gallon car in the middle of a fuel crisis." Sales for 1974 Ford Mustang II totaled 386,000, the best year for Mustang since 1967.

But what if the OPEC embargo and the ensuing energy crisis hadn't happened? Would the Mustang II still have been a hit? It's impossible to say for certain, but we think the evidence points to an overwhelming yes.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Harris Speedster

I was never a fan of this style but did accept it.
Maybe why the FOX body cars are insanely popular now? I always got a kick out of the 5.0 Police pursuit cars>> cool !

OPEC and the oil crises did bring about many wanna be's, COBRA II being one and a King Cobra too as I recall ?
I guess it was just part of the ongoing evolution's of the Mustang.
The new Electric Mustangs are again, evolution ?

I do like this modified car, just looks good without being gaudy.
Kind of a breath of fresh air from the Eleanor's ?

pbf777 I can see that too,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on March 09, 2022, 09:10:38 PMMotorTrend named the Mustang II its 1974 Car of the Year,
Myself and friends who have worked for Motor Trend refer to the award as "Advertiser of the Year". Whoever gets the award floods all of Petersen's magazines with ad space.

FL SAAC

You killing me smalls !

I have never owned one and don't believe I would. But selling 386,000 units in one year....well

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 09, 2022, 11:08:14 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on March 09, 2022, 09:10:38 PMMotorTrend named the Mustang II its 1974 Car of the Year,
Myself and friends who have worked for Motor Trend refer to the award as "Advertiser of the Year". Whoever gets the award floods all of Petersen's magazines with ad space.

Yes, while that could have been said for other regimes at the magazine over the decades, one humorous example comes to mind that definitely wasn't ad-based:  The Citroen SM from 1972 was a sh!tty choice as a Car of the Year winnner as well as a complete zero in ad revenue.  The editor got fired because of it.

Fast-forward to today:  The Tesla, Rivian, etc, that have won in recent years do not even have magazine ad budgets, or perhaps they feel they've already won the award, so why advertise it.  The net result to the magazine's bottom-line is ZERO. Yet, they win.

During my 7 years at the helm of MT, I can damn well assure everyone that our "of the year" winners were NOT predicated on advertising revenue. The staff vote chose them. That was my rule. Not my publisher's favorite, but for me personal integrity counts over $$.  And Mr. Petersen liked me, invited me on his jet for European trips to car events, and paid me a lot more $$ than any previous MT editor ever made.  Because my formula sold a LOT of magazines, launched the MT website and TV show, consumer auto shows, a syndicated radio show and more.  No brag, but just the best of all worlds.  Built on integrity.   

(Then the internet came, as well as the 2008-09 recession, and the advent of any d!pshit with a camera phone becoming a self-proclaimed "car expert." Everything changed. For the worse.  Glad I'm long out of it.)

I do want to add that, in comparison to today's cars/trucks, more than a few of those former vehicles of the year (during my tenure) haven't held up well. Of course, a lot of cars from that era and earlier, were crappy. But that's what we had to work with. And they were judged with regard to their own market segments, with peer vehicles in mind, and with strict rules as to price limits, etc., in order to make the awards relevant to our readers and the general public. 

Design, Engineering, Quality, Safety, Styling, Special Features, Performance, Fun, Everyday Livability and Value.  Those are the parameters we used.  IMO, the C5 Corvette was our best winner ever to hit high marks on all of those. 

If not for those rules and rationale about price, then Ferraris and high-end luxo vehicles would win everything, every year.  How does that serve the reader?

IMO, a $150k Tesla Plaid is made from the same unobtanium.  Interesting machine, but not relevant to just about any car buyer's shopping list.

End of rant.  Back to the custom Mustang II. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

I agree with you something's never change and now let's continue with this  modified beauty !

Quote from: Side-Oilers on March 10, 2022, 01:10:32 AM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 09, 2022, 11:08:14 PM

Yes, while that could have been said for other regimes at the magazine over the decades, one humorous example comes to mind that definitely wasn't ad-based:  The Citroen SM from 1972 was a sh!tty choice as a Car of the Year winnner as well as a complete zero in ad revenue.  The editor got fired because of it.

Fast-forward to today:  The Tesla, Rivian, etc, that have won in recent years do not even have magazine ad budgets, or perhaps they feel they've already won the award, so why advertise it.  The net result to the magazine's bottom-line is ZERO. Yet, they win.

During my 7 years at the helm of MT, I can damn well assure everyone that our "of the year" winners were NOT predicated on advertising revenue. The staff vote chose them. That was my rule. Not my publisher's favorite, but for me personal integrity counts over $$.  And Mr. Petersen liked me, invited me on his jet for European trips to car events, and paid me a lot more $$ than any previous MT editor ever made.  Because my formula sold a LOT of magazines, launched the MT website and TV show, consumer auto shows, a syndicated radio show and more.  No brag, but just the best of all worlds.  Built on integrity.   

(Then the internet came, as well as the 2008-09 recession, and the advent of any d!pshit with a camera phone becoming a self-proclaimed "car expert." Everything changed. For the worse.  Glad I'm long out of it.)

I do want to add that, in comparison to today's cars/trucks, more than a few of those former vehicles of the year (during my tenure) haven't held up well. Of course, a lot of cars from that era and earlier, were crappy. But that's what we had to work with. And they were judged with regard to their own market segments, with peer vehicles in mind, and with strict rules as to price limits, etc., in order to make the awards relevant to our readers and the general public. 

Design, Engineering, Quality, Safety, Styling, Special Features, Performance, Fun, Everyday Livability and Value.  Those are the parameters we used.  IMO, the C5 Corvette was our best winner ever to hit high marks on all of those. 

If not for those rules and rationale about price, then Ferraris and high-end luxo vehicles would win everything, every year.  How does that serve the reader?

IMO, a $150k Tesla Plaid is made from the same unobtanium.  Interesting machine, but not relevant to just about any car buyer's shopping list.

End of rant.  Back to the custom Mustang II.

I have all UNGOLD cars