News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

22 gallon fuel tank conversion

Started by charlie D, March 11, 2022, 09:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie D

Anyone done the 22 gallon fuel tank conversion on their GT500? Considering it before launching off to Indianapolis. Counting on a 3 gallon reserve, I fill up at 130 miles with the stock 16 gallon tank, 22 gallon will get me 190. Any thoughts, done it?
Charlie D

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobrask8

On my 69 SCJ with 3.25 gears, I could just squeeze 200 miles, doing 70. Kept the 3.91 pumpkin in a sealed bag in the garage, just put it on for the occasional fun!

Wedgeman

did my 67 GT 500 a few years ago...had to rework the filler neck some..but worth it

8T03S1425

I did it on my '68 GT500 convertible for the same reason, back in the original days of the gas crises in the '70s. It's a simple swap. If your rubber connector between the tank and fill tube is hard, you may need a new one.

I found it to be beneficial in increasing travel distance with little loss in trunk capacity. 4 additional gallons in a car that gets 8-10 mpg beats having to carry a 5 gallon gas can

Good luck with the conversion.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

6s2055

This brings back a great memory! In 1967 was going from SanFrancisco to Lake Tahoe.Barely made it to Sacramento to fill up....about 110 miles, then stopped again before heading over the mountain. Was no 22 gallon option in those days! Perhaps if I didn't like the sound of the 2 fours opening up could have made it with one stop. A year latter took 4 stops with the Cobra, again loved the sound of the webers opening up!

68gtcoupe

I'll be doing this swap on my 68 Mustang GT this spring. 16 gallon to 22 gallon. I believe several vendors have kits that include everything you need to make the swap.

Terry

silverton_ford

My car has the 22 gallon tank.  Was added back in the 70's.  I still have the receipt when Hans bought the tank from a local wrecking yard.

Virginia Mustang sells a filler neck that helps with the different angle to get a better seal for the intermediate hose.  A guy could cut and modify one themselves too.

65/66 cars - https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-FUEL-FILLER-STEEL-PIPE-NECK-FOR-USE-WITH-70-22-GALLON-GAS-TANK-P337630.aspx

67/68 cars - https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-68-FUEL-FILLER-STEEL-PIPE-NECK-FOR-USE-WITH-70-22-GALLON-GAS-TANK-P337550.aspx

98SVT - was 06GT

I did all my early cars back in the day. The problem in CA was finding the tanks without the capacity robbing emissions garbage in them.

I've been kicking around getting a new Mustang (2015 and up) but since they only have a 16 gallon tank I've pretty much written them off.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: charlie D on March 11, 2022, 09:53:40 AM
Anyone done the 22 gallon fuel tank conversion on their GT500? Considering it before launching off to Indianapolis. Counting on a 3 gallon reserve, I fill up at 130 miles with the stock 16 gallon tank, 22 gallon will get me 190. Any thoughts, done it?
Charlie D
I commend your "can do" attitude.  Back in the day when the cars were used for more day to day driving I can see how that there might be a need or even necessity . Today with the vast majority of 67 Shelby's regulated to occasional driving at most the need for the additional capacity is not needed. Of course it is your car and you can do what ever you want but to most changing out the 67 Shelby gas tank and all the extra steps it takes over a regular Mustang just to eliminate a few gas stops along the way to driving to the convention seems a little unnecessarily excessive. I would bet there is other care for your car you can consider  . Just my thoughts others may have a different one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

8T03S1425

I agree with Bob. When I did my conversion it was during the early oil embargoes and I was using my car fairly regularly. During the early oil embargoes it wasn't so much about fuel cost as it was fuel availability. We had long lines, odd/even gas days, and stations running out of gas. I kept my conversion rather than remove it, but he has a valid point.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

S7MS427

I say go for it.  I did this mod over 30 years ago to my '67 GT500.  As others have pointed out, you'll have to mess around with the rubber fuel hose a bit to get a good fit.  Other than that it is a piece of cake as far as swaps go.  Just make sure you use the correct fuel sending unit for the tank, not the car.  An extra six gallons when you only get about 8/gal is IMO worth it.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

shelbydoug

I did mine using the original filler neck from the 16. There is a very small amount of finagling with the rubber hose. Hardly even worth mentioning.

With the future of fuel somewhat an uncertainty, it isn't a bad idea to put the 22 gallon tank in. Just keep the original.

It's just a standard tank from a 1970 Mustang but keeping it full helps a storage problem a little.

Also, you do not need to change over the float/pick up assembly. You can reuse the original. The gauge will just read full longer. It will make you feel like you are getting better mileage.

Look out for parking the car on a steep uphill grade with a full tank though. You had better make sure that the gas cap gasket is working. This is especially true if you have a 69-70 Shelby UNLESS you like to shoot flames out of the exhausts?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!