Author Topic: hey harris speedster have you seen this one  (Read 2018 times)

gt350shelb

• View Profile
hey harris speedster have you seen this one
« on: March 12, 2022, 11:17:35 AM »
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
Re: hey harris speedster have you seen this one
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 12:31:17 PM »
gt350 Shelb,
This is a new one for me, thanks>>>
Did some quick research in my files on tracks Ben sanctioned and hosted SCCA races at.
I am pretty sure this is at the Studebaker Proving grounds. If so, Bosch owns that facility now.

I will check with the Studebaker Museum, real nice ornate & exquisite museum, to see if they know.

If it is, then there is a long story behind the picture. IN PART;
Ben hosted and sanctioned SCCA race events all over the country.
Ben used to take the Speedster to SCCA events as a draw for the public. He often invited his good friends Harley and Zora to take concept cars to draw crowds too. Long story of how the Corvette actually became ties into parts of this.

If I am correct, this is spring of 1952, before the D types etc adapted much of Bens styling from 1935.
As I always say, the size of a AC Cobra or Porsche 911.
Ben innovated 13 firsts, most of which are still in use today, into this exotic.
Imagine the public reaction in seeing this on the road in 1935 ! In a magazine article, Ben said he stopped driving it during the day, as crowds would follow him.

The Studebaker museum sent me Invitation to come to an event reunion, they wanted a large gathering of race cars that ran the track at the proving grounds.
When Ben built the Speedster, there were no classes of racing for his super car. SCCA had not been born.
Even though futuristic & race inspired, he had no idea he was building what was to come.

Ironically with other great racing legends, he was important in designing and funding Road America, SCCA race rule books, seat belts, roll bars and much much more.

They contacted me 3 years ago, and wanted me to bring the Speedster in as is condition, to the event they were planning.
Cunningham's, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar's, MG, Healey's and more were going to attend>>> COVID shut everything down.
They could not believe that it was Ben that sanctioned and Hosted the SCCA event.

Much will be happening with the Life & Times of Ben in the future.
Thanks for the pic gt 350 shelb
John

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:53:24 PM by Harris Speedster »
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 01:20:56 PM »
Studebaker proving grounds has finally been cleaned up. They just tossed most their prototypes and test cars out in the woods when they were done.

They are now owned by Navistar - you know the people who brought you the Ford 6.0 diesel.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/11/the-ghosts-of-the-studebaker-proving-grounds/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_Woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ZRHD3mqhs
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 02:56:57 PM »

your welcome on the other photo find  I have no idea where it was found it was in a group of photos pasted on facebook .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 03:15:38 PM »
gt350 shelb, thanks for posting the pic, pure history.
98SVT,
thanks for posting, I am going to copy your post so I can go back ad check everything out.

When WIKI mentions this, >>the test track that ran through the grounds simulated a variety of terrains and road conditions.
There is either a picture or talk in a magazine about the SCCA race, which talks about a torture area, where cars ran thru a dug out type area that had water in it. Ben was Big on having Road Rally's combined with the actual races.
Always drew in more spectators for the races.
I have a 1951 picture from Watkins Glen, with Ben joking with Collier and Finch, wearing a red shirt with Rally official on the back.
respectfully,
John

https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 03:24:53 PM »
Picture of Ben and Shelby;
Thanks again gt350 shelb,
I actually think Shelby got real ill with his heart right after this race, or close to it?

Ben Lecturing Shelby in his birdcage Maserati.
Believe 1959, Nassau Bahama Speedweek.
Ben was the main track official, because he was one of  few senior licensed officials in FIA, AAA and SCCA.

I can't remember without looking at my notes, if this is the year the Castro kidnapped Fangio ?
The Ford archives and Museum does know about Ben.

BTW, when I mentioned Collier and Finch, Collier as in Collier county Florida and REVS Institute, and Finch, as in builder of Lime-rock race track.
I forget that many do not know these names, shelby>> yes.
Respectfully.
John
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:28:00 PM by Harris Speedster »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 03:40:46 PM »
Ben Lecturing Shelby in his birdcage Maserati.
Another little CS Maserati tidbit. He took it to Bill Frick's in New York for some repairs. His regular guy said he couldn't fix it. Frick's part time mechanic said no problem and got it done in record time. Later that Juliard trained trumpeter moved to LA and wrote for Sports Car Graphic. He renewed his friendship with CS and drove to B Production and TA championships for SA. Yep Jerry Titus. PS he also worked on the Studillac.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage-reviews/vintage-mechanix-illustrated-review-tom-mccahill-tests-the-1953-studillac-effortless-125mph-top-speed/

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 08:44:31 PM »
98SVT,
Such a small world.
Tom McCahill took the picture of Carroll and Ben together that gt350shelb posted for me.
Much of his work is in the Henry Ford museum and archives

Smaller yet, I had read about the Studilac in past researching, crazy fact, the Fordilac shoebox was built by the Granetelli's for Ben.

These guys back then had no idea they were making real history.
No computers, just hard work and visions of the future.

Tom also took the pictures of the last Queen Catherine Cup street race at the Glen in 1952. An 8 year old young boy was killed, and that tragedy pretty much ended street course racing in America. Ben was on the front row, and Phil Hill was right behind him.

I do hope that some of the members here enjoy how and where it all began, including Shelby himself in an MG.
Tid bit :
Henry Ford actually built what became the first Cadillac, this was after a failed business partnership with who ?
Respectfully,
John

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 09:05:50 PM »

Neat & unique little car, with an interesting history. Quite advanced for its era.

Front styling looks a bit like a Miata had sex with SpongeBob.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 09:10:42 PM »
Henry Ford actually built what became the first Cadillac, this was after a failed business partnership with who ?

I think the name your looking for is Henry Leland, who with others, turned the failed Ford Motor Company into Cadillac; then sold out to General Motors; then created Lincoln Motor Company; which then in a twist of fate, in a time of suffering his own failure, was in short taken over by Henry Ford.   :)

Oh, and just to confuse things further: The Dodge Bros. as suppliers to Ford, and with his inability to pay the bills would become "investors" in the first (?) Ford Motor Co., along as the same with Leland as he assumed those responsibilities, and were also later mechanical suppliers to the new Ford Motor Co. though perhaps somewhat hesitant at allowing Henry Ford to get out there to far in the monetary relationship again.   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 09:26:37 PM by pbf777 »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 10:47:17 PM »
     Oh, and just to confuse things further: The Dodge Bros. as suppliers to Ford, and with his inability to pay the bills would become "investors" in the first (?) Ford Motor Co., along as the same with Leland as he assumed those responsibilities, and were also later mechanical suppliers to the new Ford Motor Co. though perhaps somewhat hesitant at allowing Henry Ford to get out there to far in the monetary relationship again.   ::)
The Saleen of his day..... In reality Once Henry became a success be started buying back all the Ford Motor Stock. He wanted to run the place his way and didn't want to answer to a board of directors. That stock today is the "family stock". There is also a public stock in Ford. Somebody may know for sure but from what I can tell the family stock owns all the property, patents, trademarks, equipment and the public stock owns the tooling, raw materials, finished cars and pays a royalty to the family stock side to use their stuff.

Ford said that if he was not master of his own company, he would start another. The ruse worked; by July 1919 Ford had bought out all seven minority stockholders. (The seven had little to complain about: in addition to being paid nearly $106,000,000 for their stock, they received a court-ordered dividend of $19,275,385 plus $1,536,749 in interest.) Ford Motor Company was reorganized under a Delaware charter in 1920 with all shares held by Ford and other family members. Never had one man controlled so completely a business enterprise so gigantic.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 11:03:50 PM »
pbf777,
Scott, you my friend know some real history !
Henry Ford was a pioneer and a great man!
You are spot on 98SVT
Tesla said Ford held the secret to producing free electrical current in a hour long interview, which is true my friends !

People like to credit Leland's V-8 for the first american V-8, that is not true.
Just as the first Cadillac cars, he was kind of a smuck !!
His engine was copied from Dedion's V-8 from Europe, he had one shipped to the US and copied.
Hall Scott did one before him, BUT, they were not first either.
It was an American manufacturer though/

Side oiler;
your comment made me smile >>>
Yes, it was far advanced >>> over everything else in the world.
Did you know that the Miata was placed in the Genisis Book of records for the Most sold two seat roadster in the History of automobile, 1878-2021 ?

In person the front end looks like a 350 nissan Z, and the ass end like a d type jag or early Ferrari Tr.
He was a Harvard man, and Naval Academy graduate with Barry Goldwater, he was an advanced engineer that secretly worked in Navy research and Invention during the war with Edwin Land>> yep Polaroid.
Kind of a Q division like in a James Bond movie

The Speedster had a full aluminum belly pan, horizontal flow radiator and independent rear suspension, a few of the 13 firsts, all which were futuristic and were borrowed later by the greats, and used to this very day in 2021 !

there are roughly 7000 pages on the family at the University of Illinois, which the family built most of.
He sat at family dinners with President Roosevelt, a family friend at their mansion. His grandfather was an advisor to President Lincoln at the White House .
He had many  best friends, almost all legendary race drivers, race car designers and major auto manufacturer's Presidents

The book, if I can ever land a good writer, will change automotive and race history in many ways.
And to think I found it down a hillside 32 years ago , with 9 race cars worth tens of millions now
So started my journey !
John
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 11:11:23 PM by Harris Speedster »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 11:24:52 PM »
Thanks for all the info, John.  Yes, the car's history needs to be well chronicled. 

A family friend of mine is directly descended from James Couzens, who was Henry Ford's business manager and eventually V.P. of the car company. Henry bought him out in the 1919 deal for $30 million (on Couzens's original $2500 investment.) 

Couzens went on to be Mayor of Detroit, a Michigan state senator, and a major Detroit-area philanthropist.  And yes, his large extended family all drove Ford products well into the 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Couzens
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 11:09:26 AM »
Thanks for posting, really interesting read ! and comments from others !

Mike

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 12:43:58 PM »