News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT-500 Thermostat Housing

Started by csheff, March 16, 2022, 08:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 21, 2022, 06:58:06 AM
It is a Scott Drake part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224700932842?hash=item34513822ea:g:KcIAAOSwHGNhl-aV

It works out well. I did one but can't post pictures.

There is a SD cast into it indicating Scott Drake and the C8 will show when installed as opposed to the C7 part number which is mostly obscured by the radiator hose when installed.
If using the SD repro part to carve out a replica of the C7AE housing it is only logical to remove any SD and the C8 engineering number while you are at it. As if it wouldn't be already evident you would do the same thing on the genuine truck donor part.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

If anyone wants to try their hand I have two genuine Ford truck thermostats (which is what the posted link is of)  to start with to make a replica from . A genuine Ford donor makes for a better finished product IMO. PM me if interested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2022, 06:11:35 PM
If anyone wants to try their hand I have two genuine Ford truck thermostats (which is what the posted link is of)  to start with to make a replica from that I would sell for less the the SD repro.
A genuine one makes for a better finished product IMO. PM me if interested.

I'm not arguing, just showing what I did with the Scott Drake. I will remind you what you said about not showing in Div 1 or Thoroughbred, the parts just need to look original and the engineering numbers are not looked at.

When the radiator hose is on that thermostat housing no one is going to see the engineering number.

So to me, this is just taking a different route to get to the same point? Opinions will vary and some opinions apparently are more valuable then others?  Especially to themselves. ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 23, 2022, 10:09:52 AM
If anyone wants to try their hand I have two genuine Ford truck thermostats (which is what the posted link is of)  to start with to make a replica from that I would sell for less the the SD repro.

I'm not arguing, just showing what I did with the Scott Drake. I will remind you what you said about not showing in Div 1 or Thoroughbred, the parts just need to look original and the engineering numbers are not looked at.

When the radiator hose is on that thermostat housing no one is going to see the engineering number.

So to me, this is just taking a different route to get to the same point? Opinions will vary and some opinions apparently are more valuable then others?  Especially to themselves. ::)
Does the Scott Drake thermostat housing have the thumb print size divit at the elbow like the genuine C7 And C8 housings have. I thought that it did but don't see it in your picture. Please confirm that it is there or not. That is one of the distinguishing details . If that is not there you may want to try again.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 23, 2022, 11:03:20 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 23, 2022, 10:09:52 AM

Does the Scott Drake thermostat housing have the thumb print size divit at the elbow like the genuine C7 And C8 housings have. I thought that it did but don't see it in your picture. Please confirm that it is there or not. That is one of the distinguishing details . If that is not there you may want to try again.

Wow. Some people are getting VERY judgemental these days? 8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

I figured you would want to know. Without the dimple or thumbprint size divit the Scott Drake repro is just as incorrect as having the incorrect C5AE larger thermostat housing . By contrast a well done replica thermostat starting out with a genuine Ford truck thermostat housing donor will have all of the distinguishing 67 GT500 expected details once installed . 

Bob Gaines

Of course you could always carefully add the the thumbprint detail and what with the other proper details  be all good. ;)

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 23, 2022, 11:20:21 PM
I figured you would want to know. Without the dimple or thumbprint size divit the Scott Drake repro is just as incorrect as having the incorrect C5AE larger thermostat housing . By contrast a well done replica thermostat starting out with a genuine Ford truck thermostat housing donor will have all of the distinguishing 67 GT500 expected details once installed .

Good to have exactly the right insight into what judges are looking for. You would know what they see.

My SD does not have those indicators today but it might tomorrow.

The truck thermostat housings that I have seen have those indicators but the casting for the vacuum tree is hollow but not threaded and has a plug in it. Some are cast iron?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one? Maybe someone could offer me a deal on one now? You never know?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

Dont know why the SD housing was even made as its incorrect for all FE motors. The c8ae housing was made the same except for the  most common treaded hole for c8ae vaccum tree and the rarer type not threaded but both are same castings.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on March 24, 2022, 09:46:30 AM
Dont know why the SD housing was even made as its incorrect for all FE motors. The c8ae housing was made the same except for the  most common treaded hole for c8ae vaccum tree and the rarer type not threaded but both are same castings.
At one time SD did make the more correct looking C7AE housing but for some reason discontinued it. +1 I don't understand why SD brought out this current C8AE odd housing as it is not good for anything as is of consequence.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 24, 2022, 11:40:22 AM
Quote from: Special Ed on March 24, 2022, 09:46:30 AM
At one time SD did make the more correct looking C7AE housing but for some reason discontinued it. +1 I don't understand why SD brought out this current C8AE odd housing as it is not good for anything as is of consequence.

I want to qualify here that when you mention SD, you are talking about Scott Drake and not ShelbyDoug! I get blamed for enough stuff already.

I just got my weekly rating from wifey and as usual it was very unfavorable.

That has become for me a bit like hearing the daily Covid death reports and I've become a little numb to it.

Has anyone been in contact with Chris Brown's son about the reproduction he had in the works? I don't want to call over there. Hopefully someone else already got the information?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!