News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT-500 Thermostat Housing

Started by csheff, March 16, 2022, 08:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csheff

http://www.saacforum.com/gallery/86-160322202535.jpeg

Is this the correct housing for the Gt-500? I see some have it as 8952

Bob Gaines

Quote from: csheff on March 16, 2022, 08:30:15 PM
http://www.saacforum.com/gallery/86-160322202535.jpeg

Is this the correct housing for the Gt-500? I see some have it as 8952
The one in the picture looks correct. There is only one type of C7 marked BB thermostat housing used in 67 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csheff

Thanks Bob, thought it as correct and only C7AE but seeing some posts stating that the 4 digit # was 8952.

Bob Gaines

I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the other MORE visible aspects of the correct thermostat housing because many times the engineering number is not readable for a variety of reasons. It is mostly only good for naming the thermostat to identify in discussions. Hopefully someone will post a side by side comparison of the C5 marked the C7 and the C8 thermostat. Once you see the visual differences you will understand and it will be hard to make a mistake again. I only have separate pictures and not side by side. Plus it is a pain to post anything on the forum at the moment.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

PN is C7AZ-8952-A, the housing is correct in showing the engineering number of 8594-A.

Correct  BG?

Also for 427 Fairlane as well.

Bob Gaines

430dragpack

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 17, 2022, 12:16:23 PM
Perfect . Thanks.

You're welcome!
There is at least one other C8 housing that has the casting boss for the vacuum switch, but is not tapped out.  I have one but didn't post a picture.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 430dragpack on March 17, 2022, 12:22:21 PM
Perfect . Thanks.

You're welcome!
There is at least one other C8 housing that has the casting boss for the vacuum switch, but is not tapped out.  I have one but didn't post a picture.
Yes that is the truck part. That particular C8 thermostat is one that you can grind down and shape the untapped boss area to make a convincing replica of the C7 thermostat.

430dragpack

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 17, 2022, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on March 17, 2022, 12:22:21 PM
Perfect . Thanks.

You're welcome!
Yes that is the truck part. That particular C8 thermostat is one that you can grind down and shape the untapped boss area to make a convincing replica of the C7 thermostat.

Here it is.

Bob Gaines

As you can see that if you take away the boss area material all of the other details look the same as the original C7AE housing . You would want to obscure the C8 in the engineering number while you are shaping the boss area. In DIV II and MCA trailered the numbers are not required although other aspects have to look the part. It is no small job to whittle away that material and shape properly but finding a original can be even harder. ;)

csheff

All great info guys. I only knew the engineering # so stock # is the 8952

mlplunkett

where might someone find that housing that can be ground down for a reasonable replica of the original?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

shelbydoug

It is a Scott Drake part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224700932842?hash=item34513822ea:g:KcIAAOSwHGNhl-aV

It works out well. I did one but can't post pictures.

There is a SD cast into it indicating Scott Drake and the C8 will show when installed as opposed to the C7 part number which is mostly obscured by the radiator hose when installed.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on March 20, 2022, 11:25:03 PM
where might someone find that housing that can be ground down for a reasonable replica of the original?
It is a Truck part. You can find them in the same places that other used FE housings ,swap meets ,ebay , used Mustang and Ford parts sellers.