News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Street racing in California circa 1969-1970

Started by deathsled, March 18, 2022, 12:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 21, 2022, 08:24:32 PM
It wasn't all drag racing. There was Mulholland Drive (only did that once) and Turnbull Canyon Road (did that one a bunch of times on the way to and from Whittier Blvd. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9930756,-118.0097788,1356m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

If you look real hard you'll see a Randy motor in that Shelby.

On July 6th, 1971, Steve Saleen learns that racing is for the track when he drives his Shelby GT350 off a cliff in Turnbull Canyon in Whittier, California. Steve spends months recovering from his injuries.

No that was before me . That was a Bill Miller engine . 289 with Webers . I helped on that car's replacement ,6S417.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on March 23, 2022, 05:17:33 PM
      No that was before me . That was a Bill Miller engine . 289 with Webers . I helped on that car's replacement ,6S417.
Was that the Bill Miller who ran a TF car?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

The one and only. At the time he was a counter jockey at Ansen. He rose to fame when he was "given" the Ansen aluminum rod operation by Louie. After he built a "proper" aluminum he bought Forged True Pistons and the rest is history.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on March 25, 2022, 12:00:31 PM
The one and only. At the time he was a counter jockey at Ansen. He rose to fame when he was "given" the Ansen aluminum rod operation by Louie. After he built a "proper" aluminum he bought Forged True Pistons and the rest is history.
Yes - the early rods were junk. Ansen wanted to be in the wheel business only. I imagine they suckered him with a free product line but the fine print of the deal was he assumed all liability for the junk they had been selling. Of course is was the early 70s and the lawyers may not have had a say.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

kram350

Saw this topic, thought of Prom night 1973 picking up the girlfriend. Was on Sunset Blvd in San Francisco, a series of straight blocks with stop lights every two blocks, built in christmas trees, so perfect for drag race after drag race. Got into it with a Dodge Charger in the '65 GT350, light after light. Pretty evenly matched, but on the last drag, I made a very quick illegal left to get to the girlfriends house, as the Charger continued straight. What fun!  Arrived at the Prom and girlfriends friend and her date were very, very late. He was disheveled and she very mad. He had been arrested for drag racing, car impounded... dad had to post his bail. Guess who he was drag racing? Anyway, cop told him he was eaiser to catch than the Mustang who pulled the illegal road race left turn. Guess I just lucked out and had a car that could handle well. The Dodge would have never made that turn had the rolls been reversed.

deathsled

Quote from: kram350 on March 25, 2022, 10:41:29 PM
Saw this topic, thought of Prom night 1973 picking up the girlfriend. Was on Sunset Blvd in San Francisco, a series of straight blocks with stop lights every two blocks, built in christmas trees, so perfect for drag race after drag race. Got into it with a Dodge Charger in the '65 GT350, light after light. Pretty evenly matched, but on the last drag, I made a very quick illegal left to get to the girlfriends house, as the Charger continued straight. What fun!  Arrived at the Prom and girlfriends friend and her date were very, very late. He was disheveled and she very mad. He had been arrested for drag racing, car impounded... dad had to post his bail. Guess who he was drag racing? Anyway, cop told him he was eaiser to catch than the Mustang who pulled the illegal road race left turn. Guess I just lucked out and had a car that could handle well. The Dodge would have never made that turn had the rolls been reversed.
Great story.  So much writing material from all of you for a potential novella.  Thank you!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"