Author Topic: 2 69 questions  (Read 1411 times)

corbins

• View Profile
2 69 questions
« on: March 23, 2022, 12:32:21 PM »
1- center hood scoop grille, any tricks to install one? Type of adhesive that can be used ?
2- hood pins... replacement kit. Does the polished plate go on the backside of the hood or on top under the spring ?
As always thanks for any insights. Peace

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2 69 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 02:34:15 PM »
No screen in center scoop...On top...black on bottom...
TOB

1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 11:27:31 PM »
Actually the bottom plate is smaller and is gun blued or black chromate bare metal and not paint .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »
Thanks Guys, so there is a bottom plate, but of course not in this replacement kit owner purchased.....

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »
In my earlier post I should have added the black plate was coated (thanks Bob). There is also a difference in the slots on assembly line and replacement plates. If I recall correctly there is no slot in the assembly line plate. I'm sure someone will correct me if my memory has failed me once again.  ;D

TOB
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:03:52 AM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 09:49:46 AM »
The underhood stickon plate is gun blue type finish and has a notched out slot in center  to clear the pressed in pin at bottom of the stud when installing after the top chrome twist down lock is in place. There is another silver plate with no slot that sticks to the top of hood just under the chrome twist down lock assembly and it is a bigger diameter and i have seen many times over the years where people installed that plate on the bottom of hood.  The special slotted bottom plate was very hard to find back years ago until it was made correctly people would use the other incorrect plate. The glued on bottom plate was always falling off even back in the day when they were new so thats why they were hard to find and if not installed in the correct alighnment of the twist down stud to grill hood pin bracket hole they would come loose off the hood when in a bind.  The grill hood pins bolt on brackets have adjustments and the way i install them is not push the bottom slotted glueon plate on bottom of hood until after the stud is all lined up with the brackets then lastly press the bottom plate in place on underside of hood because there is no adjustment on the bottom plate and its not much bigger hole diameter than the stud and u got no room for error once the glued on bottom plate pad is stuck to bottom of hood.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:13:36 AM by Special Ed »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 01:02:32 PM »
I bought a pair of those bottom plates off of Jim Cowles(RIP) a few years back. I got an original plate lying around somewhere I took off of a hood my friend bought(missing other one). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 06:02:46 PM »
Thanks all, I'll have the owner decide how he wants to handle this :)