News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Contacting Randy Gillis ....

Started by gt350hr, March 24, 2022, 11:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sg66

Always enjoyed reading Randy's posts here and the occasional PM's we had on engine stuff. He was truly a gentleman and a scholar.

RIP Randy

propayne

That's very very sad news - big loss for our hobby.

My heart goes out to his family.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

TLea

Quote from: Side-Oilers on October 03, 2023, 10:21:02 PM
OH NO!!  Maybe that's why we haven't heard from him for a long time on here. I had no idea he wasn't well.
No this was sudden. He was absent because he was enjoying life. Prayers to Carol. I am speechless

SFM6S

Thoughts and prayers to his family. I learned a lot from this gentleman.
Joe

Hov

Shoes never to be filled again, such a wealth of hi performance Ford knowledge which we are all the poorer now with his passing. Randy was a great person, willing
to help anyone who asked for his thoughts. Thanks for the You Tube link, it will always be around I hope so we can go back and view it. Thoughts and prayers to his extended family members and relatives.   

hertzdonut

So very sad to hear. He helped us too with our Hertz.
We have lost a legend, his family much more than that.
Terry

silverton_ford

Sad news indeed.  He was always willing to help and a good genuine person to be around.  We are going to miss Randy very much.

I have attached his Shelby American interview from the Summer 2018 issue.

Another good article on Randy and his car - http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/shelby-350h-unrestored-and-30-years-racing/

He was also in Mustang Monthly June 2014

Side-Oilers

A close friend of Randy's just sent me this:

"He had a stroke two months ago that was mild and he blew it off as a heat stroke.  Thursday or Friday of last week he had a big heart attack, went to the hospital, they put him into an induced coma but everything shut down and he died."

Rest in Speed, Randy.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

s2ms

Eric English just sent me these three photos he took, plus the one taken in 1975, from a feature story he did on Randy in the 2/11 issue of Mustang and Fords. Thank you Eric for the photos and Mark Hovander for the idea!

Dave - 6S1757

JohnSlack

I heard the news yesterday and was quite upset. I first met Randy when I was into BOSS 429s and FE motors. As much as we acknowledge him as a great source of information on the Cleveland headed engine, both 351C and BOSS 302 his detailed knowledge swept the entire FoMoCo spectrum.

The question that I always remember him asking when someone came up with some bizarre new thing that didn't seem reasonable was how did that project get paid for? The accountants didn't just let someone say hey! What if we built a tripower for such and such. There had to be project approval and codes for expenses to be directed to the person in charge.

Very sad.

John

SFM5S000

We lost a real good friend.

Godspeed Randy

Earl J Castillo

JohnSlack

Quote from: silverton_ford on October 04, 2023, 12:25:02 PM
Sad news indeed.  He was always willing to help and a good genuine person to be around.  We are going to miss Randy very much.

I have attached his Shelby American interview from the Summer 2018 issue.

Another good article on Randy and his car - http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/shelby-350h-unrestored-and-30-years-racing/

He was also in Mustang Monthly June 2014

Randy started me on my hunt for the BOSS 302 standard flange T/A intake manifold when he told me that it was the best BOSS 302 intake manifold ever. Then he told me he would sell it to me when he was finished with it. Yeah, right, you'll never be finished with that intake manifold. We identified 10 of them, once I called Randy and told him I found the eleventh one. Randy just pointed out it was still one of the ten that had changed hands. They almost NEVER change hands! So I put an advertisement out that said call me with your stupid price and I will pay it. Roy called gave me his price and now I am building an engine around that intake.

From the referenced article;
"This engine was first built with the Tunnel Port 302 heads but later were replaced by Edelbrock Victor Jrs. I use the Trans Am dual four barrel intake and a roller cam. The best time with this engine is 11.15@120 mph. The best ever was 10.75@125 with a stroked (351ci) Boss 302."

So long Randy Gillis, thank you for the time you shared and the insight you gave. I'll always remember the time we worked together.

John

crossboss

For some reason my post got deleted.
RIP, Randy. You were always an inspiration to me and many others with your vast knowledge. You will be missed!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I hope that his time away from the forum was good for him. I had a few dealings with him and like others say he was a wealth of information and was always willing to share
He will be missed and the void he has left will be tough to fill
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

TA Coupe

I don't think there are 5 people put together that could fill the void he has left behind. Keep shifting Buddy and never stop.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.