Author Topic: KR handling problem  (Read 2833 times)

waltweems

• View Profile
KR handling problem
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
I've owned my 68 KR conv. for 25 years.  It is unrestored and presents very well, but the steering column always shakes at times especially when I hit a very small bump.  I have had sets of new radials, balanced, aligned, replaced front springs, ball joints, rebuilt steering box.  A local mustang restorer tightened the steering box adjustment, but the problem persists.  Have any of you guys experienced this type of problem?  Any thoughts?

Mike James

• View Profile
Re: KR handling problem
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:57 AM »
Power steering control valve

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
Power steering control valve

Or maybe a bad idler arm?  I've heard that the P/S control valve can cause these types of issues, but never that it is an adjustments vs replacement solution.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
The power steering ram mounting bracket on the chassis can come loose. The original short stock one has less leverage on it but if you put headers on this car, you need to change that bracket to an "extended" bracket.

That is usually where the problem stems from.

What happens is that there are "captured" nuts inside of that chassis rail and they can come loose.

Even if they don't, the leverage put on that bracket can sway it even if it seems firm to your bare hands.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
I've owned my 68 KR conv. for 25 years.  It is unrestored and presents very well, but the steering column always shakes at times especially when I hit a very small bump.  I have had sets of new radials, balanced, aligned, replaced front springs, ball joints, rebuilt steering box.  A local mustang restorer tightened the steering box adjustment, but the problem persists.  Have any of you guys experienced this type of problem?  Any thoughts?

Has the steering column itself ever been re-built ? 

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
Make sure the steering box bolts that hold it to the frame rail are tight.  Check rag joint rubber and that bolts are tight.

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
I'd agree with the control valve being a possible culprit. Mine did the same thing and I replaced ball joints, tie rods and went over the rest but the control valve cured my problem.

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
Can you detail what you mean by "steering column shakes"?  Does the column feel loose or is it the steering wheel that shakes?  Any noise accompany it?  Do you have tilt wheel and is the tilt head tight or loose?
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB