Author Topic: Undercarriage Primer Color; 69 Convertible  (Read 2822 times)

tgilliam

• View Profile
Undercarriage Primer Color; 69 Convertible
« on: March 26, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »
Currently working on body work and prep for a 1969 Shelby GT 350 Convertible, Dearborn built, 01/13/1969 build date, #480202; Car was stripped and dipped back in the 80's so I do not have a clue as to what was original; I have looked for information here and on CM Forum but have not found a clear answer;
What I have seen is the possibility it could be red oxide or dark slop primer; I found one reference that there was a change by Ford in the February 69 time frame; Not sure if that was to start using the slop primer or go back to red oxide primer; I also saw a note that the engine compartment up to the fire wall would have red oxide under the black but from fire wall back would be slop primer. Any help or further information would be appreciated. Currently at the point to actually do the undercarriage painting. Thanks for your help.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com
(270) 847 - 8093

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Undercarriage Primer Color; 69 Convertible
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 01:26:57 PM »
The color of the primer changes multiple times during 1969 Dearborn production. Here's a Dearborn car from December 1968. The bottom of the engine compartment frame rails may have been red oxide, but its unlikely the would have sprayed the inner aprons or radiator support to any great extent.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 01:34:22 PM by Coralsnake »

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 01:32:53 PM »
Pete
Has there been any info or time frames established as to primer color changes through out the 1969 production?  If memory serves me right, wasn't the later production cars a grey  ( slop grey)?
Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 01:34:22 PM »
Currently working on body work and prep for a 1969 Shelby GT 350 Convertible, Dearborn built, 01/13/1969 build date, #480202; Car was stripped and dipped back in the 80's so I do not have a clue as to what was original; I have looked for information here and on CM Forum but have not found a clear answer;
What I have seen is the possibility it could be red oxide or dark slop primer; I found one reference that there was a change by Ford in the February 69 time frame; Not sure if that was to start using the slop primer or go back to red oxide primer; I also saw a note that the engine compartment up to the fire wall would have red oxide under the black but from fire wall back would be slop primer. Any help or further information would be appreciated. Currently at the point to actually do the undercarriage painting. Thanks for your help.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com
(270) 847 - 8093
This question would be much easier to answer if it weren't for the fact the early car status .Of course the best course of action with no evidence left on your car would be to find a Dearborn car built close to your build date for confirmation. With that said and considering the time frame I would not be surprised if the red oxide is what was used. Have your documentation and comparisons for what ever you choose if showing your car ln concours like you have done with other cars in the past. Expect push back if you go red oxide because the larger majority of later built Shelby's and Boss cars have been well documented with the batch paint and consequently that will be the first thought what is correct. +1 ,there are a multitude of different batch shades during production depending on the colors mixed in with the gray of a given batch.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 02:12:16 PM »
So, from the few samples I have collected (fourteen) it does appear the red oxide is in the late January/February time frame and then other colors are much more prevalent.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 10:25:48 PM »
we have early feb 69 shelby low mile car red oxide.

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 07:29:05 AM »
480412 Jan build was same as coralsnake reply #1 when I took it apart

FWIW, Mike

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »
First week of March Boss 429
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 02:55:52 PM »
May 6 Shelby
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 07:46:48 PM »
Currently restoring 480183 (late December 1968 build date).  There is evidence of red iron oxide and slop gray per Coralsnake's reply #1.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 09:05:10 PM »
Currently restoring 480183 (late December 1968 build date).  There is evidence of red iron oxide and slop gray per Coralsnake's reply #1.
I would suggest taking numerous pictures of the evidence .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KShane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 09:20:55 AM »
481256 has red primer.  Build date is 2/13/69

Shane

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 07:28:16 PM »
From what I've collected and published the majority of these cars were done with   a batch color from the firewall rearward and red oxide from the firewall forwards after the rear section was done. With that said there were periods when red oxide epoxy primer/sealers were used on the section from the firewall rearward . If I recall correctly have at least four production periods identified with numerous examples of each and for a specific period a time when a batch color was used from the firewall forward.

Looking at other cars I have records, owner data and pictures from I see there was a period in late December which have red oxide but then a return to dark then a light batch from cars finished at Dearborn 06A - 16A -  27A. Red oxide from firewall forward for those two time periods

Likely have more to add to the period. Don't think I've updated that file for a while

Hope this helps in some way
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Dennis Y

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 09:11:36 PM »
So if my Eminger & Marti report show a January 8 build date, is that when it was built at Dearborn or AO Smith? This would be red oxide underneath?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 09:14:50 PM »
Dearborn build (Ford) dates on Marti reports.