News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The slap heard around the world or The Day Chris Rock almost lost his head

Started by FL SAAC, March 28, 2022, 07:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossboss

Rock did not deserve it. Saying so, is actually condoning it. All comedians make jokes. And the one that started it was just that, a harmless one. Even Smith laughed. Its when his dysfunctional wife gave the attitude, thats when Smith's ego took over. Smith should go to jail, banned from all further events, and his Oscar revoked. Thats what SHOULD happen. However, it won't as long as the current affirmative action awards (Oscars) continues to pander to the WOKE crowd. Look at the low quality films nominated for several past years, and horrible actors. In my opinion, cable shows have better scripts, actors, cinematography, etc. Sad to say, I once worked in that movie industry.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

shelbydoug

Quote from: crossboss on March 30, 2022, 12:35:29 PM
Rock did not deserve it. Saying so, is actually condoning it. All comedians make jokes. And the one that started it was just that, a harmless one. Even Smith laughed. Its when his dysfunctional wife gave the attitude, thats when Smith's ego took over. Smith should go to jail, banned from all further events, and his Oscar revoked. Thats what SHOULD happen. However, it won't as long as the current affirmative action awards (Oscars) continues to pander to the WOKE crowd. Look at the low quality films nominated for several past years, and horrible actors. In my opinion, cable shows have better scripts, actors, cinematography, etc. Sad to say, I once worked in that movie industry.

I just don't agree but maybe that's why you don't work there any more. Words have consequences. You want to kiss ass, that's your business but it makes you look really bad.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 30, 2022, 12:43:38 PM

I just don't agree but maybe that's why you don't work there any more. Words have consequences. You want to kiss ass, that's your business but it makes you look really bad.

I NEVER kissed ass to anyone in the industry. Reason I left, the industry was going down hill, and work was being shifted to low pay inexperienced non-union idiots. Union rates climbing, no support for us 'below the line' workers like me (camera operator/DP). I'd rater work on my cars...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

shelbydoug

Quote from: crossboss on March 30, 2022, 01:01:09 PM

I NEVER kissed ass to anyone in the industry. Reason I left, the industry was going down hill, and work was being shifted to low pay inexperienced non-union idiots. Union rates climbing, no support for us 'below the line' workers like me (camera operator/DP). I'd rater work on my cars...

I can relate. My son is a recording engineer.

I suppose one could say that I taught him to de-pressurize by working on "his" cars. I haven't seen him throwing any wrenches lately but he does bitch to me a lot. Sometimes at me.  ;)

I'm an Architect by education. A Carpentry Contractor by necessity. When "you" work for someone else you are always "kissing ass" especially your customers to satisfy the sometimes unsatisfiable?

I remember an "old timer" saying to me, when I was just a kid out of school, "you can't satisfy everyone, just ask a 'Hooker'."  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Boy do I have the scoop on what really happened that night....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427heaven

The REAL joke should have been about her BOYFRIEND not her hair! :-[

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427heaven on April 01, 2022, 10:31:36 AM

Don't get me started on those,  I got a miilion.....hickory dickory dock

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

What is "below the line" about a camera operator/DP? If you don't have them you have no movie. My dad was in the TV industry and did some movies as such for 70 years in various capacities but mostly as a cameraman. He is very proud of catching a triple play on camera during a Blue Jays game in Toronto back in the late 70s or was it early 80s. He retired around age 86 after Pacific Rim. But he says he wants to go back to work in IATSE. He will be 94 on April 10th.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427heaven

Quote from: FL SAAC on April 02, 2022, 09:05:08 AM
Quote from: 427heaven on April 01, 2022, 10:31:36 AM

Don't get me started on those,  I got a miilion.....hickory dickory dock
The only guy that I thought could pull off a childrens rhyme is Andrew Dice Clay... YOOOOH ;D

FL SAAC

On April 22, 1978

This talks about several blue jays triple plays:

Throwback Thursday: Toronto Blue Jays Triple the Fun
https://jaysjournal.com/2014/11/20/throwback-thursday-toronto-blue-jays-triple-fun/

Quote from: deathsled on April 02, 2022, 10:14:19 AM

What is "below the line" about a camera operator/DP? If you don't have them you have no movie. My dad was in the TV industry and did some movies as such for 70 years in various capacities but mostly as a cameraman. He is very proud of catching a triple play on camera during a Blue Jays game in Toronto back in the late 70s or was it early 80s. He retired around age 86 after Pacific Rim. But he says he wants to go back to work in IATSE. He will be 94 on April 10th.

I have all UNGOLD cars

crossboss

'Below the Line' refers to anyone not getting a residual for the film or TV show you worked on. Producers, directors, writers, and actors, musicians, etc are 'Above the Line'. I agree us 'peons' are the guys/gals who make the movies. Too bad IATSE doesn't see it that way. They take our dues, never place us for work (anymore), and as of the past 20 years can give a rats ass about us. Around this time, IA 600 was going broke, and desperate for revenue. So, guess what they did? They opened the flood gates and allowed every so called 'cameraman' join the union. Wedding videographers, freelance still guys, etc were now allowed to join without all the red tape, sponsors, and working in a union house for a probationary period. Pay a fee, and your in. This pissed off a lot of senior and valued members who had to jump through hoops for years to join. This was the downfall of the quality shows we used to work on. Hire a non-union kid for 50 bucks a day was allowed. All I can say, IA 600 is a joke. This is the reason I went on leave. No regrets.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on April 03, 2022, 12:35:08 AM
'Below the Line' refers to anyone not getting a residual for the film or TV show you worked on. Producers, directors, writers, and actors, musicians, etc are 'Above the Line'. I agree us 'peons' are the guys/gals who make the movies. Too bad IATSE doesn't see it that way. They take our dues, never place us for work (anymore), and as of the past 20 years can give a rats ass about us. Around this time, IA 600 was going broke, and desperate for revenue. So, guess what they did? They opened the flood gates and allowed every so called 'cameraman' join the union. Wedding videographers, freelance still guys, etc were now allowed to join without all the red tape, sponsors, and working in a union house for a probationary period. Pay a fee, and your in. This pissed off a lot of senior and valued members who had to jump through hoops for years to join. This was the downfall of the quality shows we used to work on. Hire a non-union kid for 50 bucks a day was allowed. All I can say, IA 600 is a joke. This is the reason I went on leave. No regrets.
Thanks for the education.  I honestly did not know.  I should put you in touch with my dad or figure out how to get him on this site (he's 94 now but still wants to go back to IATSE for work).  He loves talking about his days as a cameraman and lighting guy and so on.  He was one to the first to cover the Toronto Maple Leafs (Leaves lol) on Hockey Night in Canada.  He talks endlessly about being the main cameraman on the Queen's visit to Canada in 1968 or so.  Anyway, I still think the exertainment industry gives a better life than the one I chose practicing law.  Sorry about hijacking the thread but we are talking about show biz which is the theme of the thread so our subtopic is tangentially related, I would contend.

crossboss

Quote from: deathsled on April 03, 2022, 11:37:06 AM
Thanks for the education.  I honestly did not know.  I should put you in touch with my dad or figure out how to get him on this site (he's 94 now but still wants to go back to IATSE for work).  He loves talking about his days as a cameraman and lighting guy and so on.  He was one to the first to cover the Toronto Maple Leafs (Leaves lol) on Hockey Night in Canada.  He talks endlessly about being the main cameraman on the Queen's visit to Canada in 1968 or so.  Anyway, I still think the exertainment industry gives a better life than the one I chose practicing law.  Sorry about hijacking the thread but we are talking about show biz which is the theme of the thread so our subtopic is tangentially related, I would contend.

My worthless two cents...
It's amazing your 94 year old dad still has the passion to go back to work! As to my reply, IF he wishes to return back into the union, make sure he still can. For an example, if he retired, went on leave, etc he will have to renew his membership. This can be expensive. Is it worth it? In todays movie/TV world, most stuff is now non-union. Why renew when it won't be worth it. With out the 'connections' you once had, its a no brainer not to return in my opinion. On the flip side will anyone hire him? It's a younger generation who now holds the reigns in this industry. At 94, take it easy and enjoy your golden years. Thats my take on all of this. Just me...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on April 03, 2022, 12:41:18 PM
Quote from: deathsled on April 03, 2022, 11:37:06 AM

My worthless two cents...
It's amazing your 94 year old dad still has the passion to go back to work! As to my reply, IF he wishes to return back into the union, make sure he still can. For an example, if he retired, went on leave, etc he will have to renew his membership. This can be expensive. Is it worth it? In todays movie/TV world, most stuff is now non-union. Why renew when it won't be worth it. With out the 'connections' you once had, its a no brainer not to return in my opinion. On the flip side will anyone hire him? It's a younger generation who now holds the reigns in this industry. At 94, take it easy and enjoy your golden years. Thats my take on all of this. Just me...
That's not him.  He is the most hyperactive 94 year old I know.  Can't sit still.  Has to be out driving, out doing something.  Wants to build a shed himself in his backyard, wants to get his 65 Mustang fastback on the road again, shovels his own snow in the driveway, a social butterfly whereas, I am far more introspective and a loner.  I seem to recall him saying he still has an active card.  I couldn't believe he worked on Pacific Rim in Toronto pulling 14 hour days.  He says he plans to live to be 120 years old.  He will, in any case, no doubt outlive me.  He desperately wants to go to SAAC in Indianapolis this year and says he plans to drive down (which makes me nervous at the thought).  In closing, as the great Roman Senator Seneca said in his treatise on "The Shortness of Life" we are not taken in the order of our birth registration.