News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Dyno fun with my 428

Started by BeaterGT500, February 25, 2022, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeaterGT500

Finally got the heart of my 67 GT500 up and running.  Decided to break it in and tune it on a dyno before squeezing it into the car.  Oddly enough, the dyno was originally Shelby American's then sold to a shop in Seattle, then to the guy who owns and operates Ed's Machine in Mukilteo, WA.  In addition to learning from Ed and watching a pro builder and tuner at work, the experience was even cooler knowing that my 428 was run in and tuned on the same dyno that SA used back in the day.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on February 25, 2022, 05:31:41 PM
Finally got the heart of my 67 GT500 up and running.  Decided to break it in and tune it on a dyno before squeezing it into the car.  Oddly enough, the dyno was originally Shelby American's then sold to a shop in Seattle, then to the guy who owns and operates Ed's Machine in Mukilteo, WA.  In addition to learning from Ed and watching a pro builder and tuner at work, the experience was even cooler knowing that my 428 was run in and tuned on the same dyno that SA used back in the day.
Although very cool dyno equipment history and you probably already know this but just in case others reading are under a misconception the complete already Shelbyized 428 was sent to the SJ Ford plant to be installed in the 67 Shelby's prior to being sent to Shelby for conversion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 25, 2022, 06:31:38 PM...the complete already Shelbyized 428 was sent to the SJ Ford plant to be installed in the 67 Shelby's prior to being sent to Shelby for conversion.
Did SA just send the add on parts to the Ford engine plant for installation.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 25, 2022, 07:23:35 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 25, 2022, 06:31:38 PM...the complete already Shelbyized 428 was sent to the SJ Ford plant to be installed in the 67 Shelby's prior to being sent to Shelby for conversion.
Did SA just send the add on parts to the Ford engine plant for installation.
Yes,the Detroit engine plant had all of the Shelby unique parts to build the engine from the block up. The completed air cleaner to oil pan engine was sent to the SJ plant for installation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Bob, is there a write-up anywhere on the engine installation? Did they install engine and transmission together? Did they remove the valve covers for extra clearance? How did they handle the install of the exhaust manifolds? What was the work-around clearing the Master Cylinder? The installation sequence and methods would be most interesting. Are you aware of any pictures of engine shipments? That would be very cool also to see 100 or so 428s lined up and ready to go to California.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on February 25, 2022, 10:50:18 PM
Bob, is there a write-up anywhere on the engine installation? Did they install engine and transmission together? Did they remove the valve covers for extra clearance? How did they handle the install of the exhaust manifolds? What was the work-around clearing the Master Cylinder? The installation sequence and methods would be most interesting. Are you aware of any pictures of engine shipments? That would be very cool also to see 100 or so 428s lined up and ready to go to California.
I am unaware of write up on engine install.  I am not sure about the engine and trans together as far as the factory goes . If I were to guess I would say yes. I have done it both ways on both auto and manual. You need more hands when it is done together . At least when I have done it.  I have a picture of a engine on a pallet ready to be installed that I will try and dig up. That engine has the C6 auto already connected which supports the complete together install guess of mine.   I do not think that the valve cover was taken off for more clearance. There is antidotal evidence to support that the master cylinder was at least loosened to make installation easier. That is for all big block in Mustang installs. I typically leave the master off until install when I do it for my stuff. Stock 390 GT manifolds are not a install issue. I would not be surprised if there was mats for padding of cowl and shock tower area that was used .

TLea

Engines were installed transmission attached .Not only did they have exhaust manifold on but they also had H pipe and starters in place. Master cylinders were loose loose and off to the side but as far as I know no padding used. Plenty of evidence of dented oil pans on original cars
PS: pretty cool but your engine was on Shelbys dyno whether or not it ever was on there before

shelbydoug

I have a set of headers that I thought were Hookers but in comparing them they are shaped more like the 351c headers are and tuck under more.

They are stamped 555L & R. They look just like the Gratiot headers I had for the Cleveland except for the flanges.

I'm so tempted to ATTEMPT to install them on the engine. I need someone here to TALK ME OUT OF IT!

How steep is the angle the engine has to be to thread the needle with the transmission installed?

It looks like leaving the master cylinder and booster off completely is the most intelligent way to go considering the clutch linkage still needs to be installed as well?

I'm used to the scary angle after having done some Pantera installs. I'm hearing the call for a COBRA oil pan now but maybe that's best left to an in the car install after the Bass Ale headache stops?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

At 1.34, a small block and manual trans going in a '65. I'm sure big block is similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_JTGhKtdg
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

TOBKOB

Having a pit under the car is a definite plus...

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

roddster

Never had a big block until a 67 GTA arrived.  So, I was figuring out how to pull the engine and got a few answers at the "VMF".  I eventually pulled the engine out with the trans connected.
  In about 2-4 months I'll be putting it back in.  (out with the 390, in with the 428)
  Summary: if you want to put the engine in or out with the trans attached, it really helps to have the rear of the car in the air.  Top of the jackstand high, or higher if you can do it safely.
  Having a floor jack handy helps too.
   Worried about rubbing the engine compartment while putting it in?  A chain hoist works easier than just the hydraulic cylinder of an engine lift because you control the "drop" speed, not that little needle valve. 

shelbydoug

I still have the heater motor shield and I'm sure there is good reason the factory used it.

I'm wondering now if there is enough room to use chains on the load equalizer or if you need to use straps instead?

I never noticed it before but I'd suspect that the black engine paint is scraped up in spots on original installations probably on the shock towers?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

What were the dyno numbers ?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

FL SAAC

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on February 25, 2022, 05:31:41 PM

Very kool, once you get it running properly let us know what the torque and H.P  numbers are
Thanks
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert