News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Identifying Crankshaft 427 FE

Started by Kent, March 30, 2022, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Can someone tell me which crankshaft this is exactly? I want to use it in my 427 aluminum shelby block. Thanks
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Kent

some more pics, I think the guy that did the ginding etc. put some numbers on it
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

highland green

$=427, press in oil plugs and grooved main bearing early engine. $ is not as clear as my cranks, my mains not grooved mine ground and hand stamped to 5 (as c5--).I have never seen anything except 427 with$ but im no expert others know more. check on F.E. forum they know their stuff.

Royce Peterson

The '68 Cougar 427 used the same cast 2U crankshaft as any 390. From 1965 - 67 the $ sign forged crank was used in passenger cars equipped with a 427. Not familiar with the one you posted so don't know about that one.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Kent

But it should be a forged one from what I see or? And I wonder about the date stamp 67-1 the stamp looks like from production and not the rebuilder. I´m only sure its a 427 crankshaft in forged. But the rest is hard to find out. Can maybe someone post this in the FE forum for me? I dont have an account there.

gt350hr

Yes , on that forum I post as 161854. To add to what I said there , this is a genuine 427 Ford steel crankshaft. It has been reground and modified by Reath Automotive that "was" in Long Beach California. Joe Reath ( rip) was one of the best crank grinders in the day. You MUST carefully measure the rod journals for sizing as a popular modification was to grind to use a 392 Chrysler rod. The lightening holes drilled in the counter weights suggest that to me. The crank also has been modified to "grooved mains" . This was done before fully grooved main bearings were created.  Contrary to "some" this does not weaken the crank and is not done "now". If it passes mag check and is still for Ford rods , I think it would be fine to use.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

430dragpack

Hopefully the "R20 and M20" is a good sign that rods and mains have been ground .020 form stock Ford. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Royce Peterson

I think if it checks good you should use it. I used Joe Reath's services several times when I lived in Long Beach. Reath's shop was near Signal Hill, not far from Long Beach airport. He had some great stories about Indianapolis and his Funny Car days. He gave me a brand new spark plug for a Hemi that I still have.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350hr

Joe ran cars under the Reath Automotive , Reath and Velasco , and the best known Dunn and Reath ( Big Jim Dunn) names. A majority of the cars that ran at Lions drag strip used Reath Automotive. The shop on Cherry ave is now a rental yard for construction machinery and barely recognizable.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on March 31, 2022, 02:05:28 PM
   Joe ran cars under the Reath Automotive , Reath and Velasco , and the best known Dunn and Reath ( Big Jim Dunn) names. A majority of the cars that ran at Lions drag strip used Reath Automotive. The shop on Cherry ave is now a rental yard for construction machinery and barely recognizable.
I thought it became the motorcycle shop at 33rd & Cherry (I may have messed up my speed shops that were research). Somewhere in my Oakland Roadster Show collection I've got a shot of him, Isky and Ernie Immerso (Thunderbird exhaust) tucked away. Ernie won the most beautiful roadster 3 times.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Kent

It´s so awesome how much knowledge is in this forum. I will measure the crank and maybe mag check it again. But yes so far it really looks great. And I think its just 0.020 down from the original ford size. Thats what I heard but I can measure that. Yes these cranks are hard to find but I want to build an original stroke 427 not a truck stroker engine. It should rev pretty good. Thanks for all the help