News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

66 Hertz battery

Started by louis.sciuto@gmail.com, April 08, 2022, 09:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louis.sciuto@gmail.com

Hi
I am restoring a Hertz, and I have been informed that the 66 Autolite battery had  yellow caps and the Autolite label was moulded in and not painted.

But when I look at many restored Hertz, they have the red caps with Autolite scripted and painted red on top. I have been told the red was for 68 onwards.

Can anyone confirm what is the correct battery for the 66 me please?

Regards

Lou

Bob Gaines

Quote from: louis.sciuto@gmail.com on April 08, 2022, 09:12:57 PM
Hi
I am restoring a Hertz, and I have been informed that the 66 Autolite battery had  yellow caps and the Autolite label was moulded in and not painted.

But when I look at many restored Hertz, they have the red caps with Autolite scripted and painted red on top. I have been told the red was for 68 onwards.

Can anyone confirm what is the correct battery for the 66 me please?

Regards

Lou
Lou,you have your facts mixed up.First off the Autolite marked battery being sold in the reproduction market is copied after a 1968 version. The cap color had to do with identifying the capacity of the battery. The red cap typically was for the higher capacity heavy duty battery. The yellow cap was for the lower capacity battery. The problem is that the reproduction battery besides being the 68 variety is also a larger size group 24 . The regular production 66 GT350 came from the factory with a smaller size group 22 battery with yellow caps and the molded in warning message. Unfortunately no one has yet reproduced the group 22 assemblyline battery. Like how many reproduction parts are decided to be made ,the repro mfg's recognize a need.  Hopefully with education the enthusiast will understand what is correct and what is not correct and not settle for the incorrect looking 1968 battery that is the wrong size .  The mfg will not make it unless the buyers demand it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

louis.sciuto@gmail.com

Thanks,  Ok so what you are telling me is that the Yellow cap was for the 66,  I believe you can get a cap.

(see attachment)

J_Speegle

Quote from: louis.sciuto@gmail.com on April 08, 2022, 09:12:57 PM
Hi

But when I look at many restored Hertz, they have the red caps with Autolite scripted and painted red on top. I have been told the red was for 68 onwards...........................

Believe you will find those owners are just settling for what is available and is easy to order with a credit card.

We've  discussed and posted to threads the differences between the original 66-67 batteries for over a decade. IMHO allowing them in a judging event with no deductions does not help the cause or the goal or replicating how the cars were originally built.  Whom ever gets an good reproduction made will most likely have a long list of potential customers willing to purchase such a part.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: louis.sciuto@gmail.com on April 08, 2022, 11:00:15 PM
Thanks,  Ok so what you are telling me is that the Yellow cap was for the 66,  I believe you can get a cap.

(see attachment)
The reproduction battery topper you show is the wrong size and a poor reproduction at that. The topper is made for a group 24 battery. The yellow caps are only part of what makes up the correct looking battery .The group 22 battery is a noticeably shorter in length battery.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby