Author Topic: Trick 289 oil pan, similar to the R-model with welded sheet metal  (Read 3988 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trick 289 oil pan, similar to the R-model with welded sheet metal
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 09:28:31 AM »
I'm not sure that anyone can call any of the fabricated pans as original with the exception of the Aviaids on the factory built R models?

Does that really matter though?

What is "original" on an "original Boss 302 Trans Am car"? There was only one from Shelby Racing. There are a bunch more Trans-Am cars then that.

Hi Shelbydoug,

I did pick my words carefully.  Period and original mean different things.  I believe the pan is a period piece, from back in the day.  I can't say it is original to any TransAm BOSS 302.  It is likely just an  over the counter part (OTC).

Thanks

Cory

Yes agreed. Very good explanation.

The development of the Boss 302 Bud Moore pans is interesting. Now you have me wondering if part of the problem with the 302 Tunnel ports blowing engines was this issue of oil being trapped in the back of the pan?  ???

Yes, as the Two Stage oiling was developed in response to that issue. There were also huge quality control issues with the Ford assembled engines themselves. Notice in the pictures provided there are NO HIGH VOLUME primary oil stage components for the actual T/A pumps. The pumps were standard volume with a higher pressure spring. The upper section of the pump is also aluminum compared to cast iron.

The last picture is of an NOS pump from Holman Moody.

John

This is the first mentioning I've heard of the two stage Moore set up? The pans have been shown seemingly forever with the dropped rear but no one ever mentioned the dual stage pump that I can recall?

It could have been proprietary information at the time. I've talked to Bud Moore many times since the '60s and he has always been secretive to me and would say something like "no, sorry, I can't sell that to you". Not that it really mattered. Just sayin' what things were like then.

Shelby was no better. Keeping his best stuff for his own team and selling you "real R model parts" that he didn't run. Typical really.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 11:14:22 AM »
Similar photo to the one Cory posted in reply #5, with the 2-stage system...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:15:54 AM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 01:03:07 PM »
If the rear pickup runs dry and sucks air, isn't that an issue for keeping pressure in the system without air pockets?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 01:57:42 PM »

it would seem the distributor gear loading would be an area of concern (?)

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »
If the rear pickup runs dry and sucks air, isn't that an issue for keeping pressure in the system without air pockets?

All of the scavenged oil is drawn into the lower section of the two stage pump. That oil is then run through the circular shaped de-aeration section that allows gravity to send the oil free from air and foam directly into the square portion of the oil pan that feeds the main pressure pump. So the main pressure pump section due to the baffling and the delivery of oil from above always has an adequate supply of oil.

The fitting on the side of the pan with the internal drain back baffle is the return from the tank that gets the oil vapor that comes in from the fitting on the side of the intake manifold.

There is a fitting on the front right side of the oil pan that was for checking oil level.

John

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 04:41:59 PM »

it would seem the distributor gear loading would be an area of concern (?)

The primary pump keeps the distributor gear load pretty much even, most in 1969 also used the offset distributor which had the benefit of the rubber belt to help with any vibration.

John

Hov

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 06:26:01 PM »
Hello John, Seems like you know a lot of information about BOSS 302's,   :o  have you been at it for a while?   

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2022, 07:24:34 PM »
nah, he just got his copy of the Boss 302 Oil Pan & System Modification Booklet...( Really...RARE!)... ::)

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2022, 10:39:03 PM »
John has been into BOSS cars for a long time and is a highly respected member of the boss 302 forum..

ROY
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 11:06:50 PM »
nah, he just got his copy of the Boss 302 Oil Pan & System Modification Booklet...( Really...RARE!)... ::)

The Boss 302 Oil Pan & System Modification Booklet was one of those booklets that came in cereal boxes when I was really little. You also needed the "Official Johnny Quest and Hadji" Decoder Ring. Most people never could break the code because they did not know the name of Johnny's dog was "Bandit", so typically they threw the Booklet away.

However when Road and Track got to do the drivers test on the actual Bud Moore car after the season and Bud Moore offered to let the magazine people see any part of the race engine......Except what was in the oil pan, I became obsessed. So Thanks to Johnny Quest and Scooby Doo I got answers....And apparently pictures as well.

John

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 07:43:44 AM »

The Boss 302 Oil Pan & System Modification Booklet was one of those booklets that came in cereal boxes when I was really little. You also needed the "Official Johnny Quest and Hadji" Decoder Ring. Most people never could break the code because they did not know the name of Johnny's dog was "Bandit", so typically they threw the Booklet away.

However when Road and Track got to do the drivers test on the actual Bud Moore car after the season and Bud Moore offered to let the magazine people see any part of the race engine......Except what was in the oil pan, I became obsessed. So Thanks to Johnny Quest and Scooby Doo I got answers....And apparently pictures as well.

John

John,

Well done!

Cheers
~Earl J

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 10:37:48 AM »
Hi all,

I was at the Portland Swamp Meet this weekend and I came across this oil pan from a buddy.  He thought I might know the story on it, but I do not.   I expect it is aftermarket.  The welds do look very professional.  It has three baffles inside.   I don't think it is a home made job.   Does anyone have a idea on the manufacture or any other info?

Thanks

Cory

Probably the most important advice on that oil pan. Either acid dip it to remove the rust or soda blast it. Using any other blast media would cause the little remnants to hide in the baffling and it may never come clean.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 10:55:08 AM »
+1 on acid or soda blasting. Once rust is gone and pan has been dried slosh some oil inside the interior of the pan to keep surface rust from quickly starting.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
The people that do my headers have a solution that they dip the headers in to remove all of the rust and contaminants, then the ceramic coat them.

They have done three sets of headers for me and so far all are still like they returned them to me.

Most of those pans were gold cad new. A couple like the R pan were just silver cad.

Both have little resistance to surface rust.

There are colors available now for the ceramic coating. My favorite is Titanium. It is like a low sheen gold cad color. VERY classy.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2022, 08:08:24 PM »
These were pretty neat pans  and shop i worked for  we copied an original  including all internal tubing and 2 stage pump . think we made 3 0r 4 of them.   some of the originals had  oil drains from valve covers  going to fittings on back of pan .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .