Author Topic: 1969 GT350 AC Idler pulley finish  (Read 1069 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
1969 GT350 AC Idler pulley finish
« on: April 04, 2022, 10:39:04 PM »
Can somebody help me with what the finish is the adjustable Idler pulley?
Build date 1/9/1969. Also, is the site glass on the AC hose always built into the hose? I got a hose from Classic Auto Air and realized it didn’t have the site glass.
Thank you

musclecarman15

• View Profile
Re: 1969 GT350 AC Idler pulley finish
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 11:10:26 PM »
Finish on both idler pulley setups( fixed and adjustable) is zinc phosphate for the bracket and pulley bearing cap, pulley is semi gloss black...please also note those brackets are specific to 1968-69 models,as 70 used the larger bearing. The fixed pulley setup has the letters SPC stamped on bracket and the pulley has a small S stamped on the pulley face,the adjustable pulley setup has the same pulley and bearing(5/8 by 1 3/8 by 7/16)...while it's bracket can have a large S stamped on flat face or have no markings at all on face.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 11:11:43 PM »
Here is a picture of one in a FE AC kit boxed in 69

As you can see the hose with the sight glass incorporates the sight glass but it was from a different design than the assembly line installed AC's

Yes the sight glass section was "built into" the hose. Not the first time reproductions don't match the original design/details
Good thing is that there were a ton of lines made (shared with all Mustangs that came with AC)  so a decent original may be found with some effort

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:16:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 11:12:24 PM »
Can somebody help me with what the finish is the adjustable Idler pulley?
Build date 1/9/1969. Also, is the site glass on the AC hose always built into the hose? I got a hose from Classic Auto Air and realized it didn’t have the site glass.
Thank you
Pulley is black somewhere between semi gloss and glossy . Bearing cover is zinc phosphate . The bracket is zinc phosphate. Yes the sight glass is made into the hose. Although functional All of the different classic auto air A/C hoses are a dead give away of a non original assemblyline hose. Even ford service hoses can be different. Hoses can be hard to come by so sometimes you have to make do.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 11:49:39 PM »
Thanks guys, helpful as always.

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 04:39:16 PM »
Any suggestions on where to get a the best reproduction or an NOS hose with a site glass? Also, would an NOS hose be worthwhile as old as it would be?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 05:06:58 PM »
Any suggestions on where to get a the best reproduction or an NOS hose with a site glass? Also, would an NOS hose be worthwhile as old as it would be?

When shopping be aware that NOS may not be designed or look like assembly line style. Like the one in one of my pictures and others I have , even in 69 the over the counter versions may have looked very different - with the larger site glass. Might want to look for a good original though depending on you caution level you might not to fully charge the system on a show car. Don't know anyone at the moment that is restamping the hose with the printing but the small hose labels are out there
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 10:23:15 AM »
Thanks Jeff