News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Driver side fender apron details

Started by imming1965, April 05, 2022, 01:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imming1965

Okay I'm in need of help. I'm restoring a 1969 gt350 onvertible, January 13th build. I'm at a little disadvantage because I got car  already apart and striped and primer. I'm finishing up repairs and getting close to paint stage and need to know a few details.
    The front drivers apron is my question. Trying to figure out if all these holes are needed. Need to know if these are holes  from factory stuff or if added over the years.  The four little ones in middle are the ones I personally dont know are correct...... any one have good picture of this apron I can compare it to??? Could also use some good pictures of firewall with nothing on it aswell, there are some holes in it I'm not sure about.

Coralsnake

What is the Shelby number? Options?

Mongo

good question! what if someone sends a photo of an a/c, automatic firewall and you have a non a/c stick car?

J_Speegle

That group of four holes appear to be added. Appears you might have a pre-#1000 car but would also like to see the cars VIN. Also the panel date is really close to the change so that is interesting also - appears to be 12 13 D2 with an upside down "3"

To you question yes the group of four holes appear to be added. Some of the others may need addressing also - we'll see In some examples there are depressions where they could be hardware attached depending on what kind of Mustang the panel was installed on and in some cases these depressions were stamped deeply producing holes while on others not as much pressure when stamped resulting in only a depression

Will grab a few pictures and share
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

imming1965

J_Speegle

Since nothing from the PS or AC system is attached to the front driver's side inner fender panel I don't see any differences

Here are four examples of the early inner fender panel without the extra ribs. As you can see in the upper left the four depressions/hole stamping depth can vary - Designed to hole the rev limiters on cars equipped with them. None of the cars pictured below had rev limiters originally. As for any other hole you should be able to compare (reason for multiple examples) and determine which were added and which were original

Hope this helps

X'ed out the one hole which was likely a plastic catch can that was attached with a single screw. You can see where the main body swung back and forth and wore through the black paint

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

imming1965

Quote from: J_Speegle on April 05, 2022, 04:04:49 PM
Since nothing from the PS or AC system is attached to the front driver's side inner fender panel I don't see any differences

Here are four examples of the early inner fender panel without the extra ribs. As you can see in the upper left the four depressions/hole stamping depth can vary - Designed to hole the rev limiters on cars equipped with them. None of the cars pictured below had rev limiters originally. As for any other hole you should be able to compare (reason for multiple examples) and determine which were added and which were original

Hope this helps

X'ed out the one hole which was likely a plastic catch can that was attached with a single screw. You can see where the main body swung back and forth and wore through the black paint

Jeff that helps thank you and everyone else that responded :D

aj

Here's another example. Note: I sourced this apron from a donor Mach 1 to replaced the incorrect one that was installed on my car in the 1980's.  So i can't verify the specifics of the car this apron came from.