News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5 Greatest Missing Car Mysteries Ever!

Started by BGlover67, April 05, 2022, 03:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

Many do not know that I am an expert in lost "Automobilia" that's because I don't flaunt my expertise. I am this, I am that,  I know this,  I know that, , Judge in the 10th degree, gakusei - deshi under sifu or sensie xyz, world renowned blah, blah, blah......

Let's cover these five ghosts or cadavers:

James Dean Porsche 'Little Bastard'

while being transported from Miami to Los Angeles the car mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again. Last seen in the opalocka triangle... GONE !

Jim Morrison's Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

one being that the infamous alcoholic crashed it after binge drinking. THUS MY THEORY IT IS A BEER CAN ...GONE !

Renault Type CB Coupe Ville from the Titanic

Last seen driven under water  by Dory of Disney fame.....GONE !

Bugatti's Lost 'La Voiture Noire' Type 57 Atlantic

Ettore Bugatti loaded the car onto a train bound for Bordeaux but it didn't make it....GONE !

Back to the Future DeLorean DMC-12

The panels had been hanging from the ceiling of Planet Hollywood in Hawaii, but after the restaurant shut down permanently, they apparently sprouted wings and disappeared.

This one is in the 5th dimension...GONE !

Now on Jimmys car, I have always said that "someone" with lots of bejamins is or has been creating this particular shelbee

Once created not even the "EXPERTS" will be able to tell if it's the real one , because they created it......
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

No mystery - old Mustangs ended up as scrap iron. Rare collectable cars ended up in private collections after being flown away. This is a prime reason not to keep that collectable car in your roomy hangar.

Is it real or is it Memorex?
https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/james-bonds-stolen-aston-martin-db5-found-1234656447/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

You know all roads lead to La Florida

"The iconic 1963 DB5, which agent 007 famously piloted in both Goldfinger and Thunderball, mysteriously vanished from a secure hangar at Florida's airport in Boca Raton back in the late '90s"

Maybe Jimmys car is being recreated in Floridaland.....

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 05, 2022, 05:44:56 PM
No mystery - old Mustangs ended up as scrap iron. Rare collectable cars ended up in private collections after being flown away. This is a prime reason not to keep that collectable car in your roomy hangar.

Is it real or is it Memorex?
https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/james-bonds-stolen-aston-martin-db5-found-1234656447/
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Just like Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang 'stunt car' has been scrapped--GONE.
When we interviewed Max Belchowski (correct spelling?) the guy who built it said he shipped it off to the scrap yard. Liability would not allow it to be sold.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Peter L.

I thought the 'stunt car' was discovered in a scrap yard several years ago and is being restored. Certified by Kevin Marti.
  Maybe I'm mistaken.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

crossboss

Quote from: Peter L. on April 06, 2022, 08:04:18 AM
I thought the 'stunt car' was discovered in a scrap yard several years ago and is being restored. Certified by Kevin Marti.
  Maybe I'm mistaken.

Fake news. All bs. It was a PR dog and pony show for the new (then) upcoming 'Bullitt' Mustang . The 'hero car' is the one that surfaced and sold at auction.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on April 06, 2022, 11:31:49 AM
  Maybe I'm mistaken.

Fake news. All bs. It was a PR dog and pony show for the new (then) upcoming 'Bullitt' Mustang . The 'hero car' is the one that surfaced and sold at auction.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2017/03/08/lost-bullitt-mustang-surfaces-in-mexico

On Friday, March 3, Kevin Marti inspected the car at a Ford dealer in Mexicali, and on Monday, March 6, Fox News published a report that he had verified the car as authentic. As Kevin explained to us, "The car found in the wrecking yard was the car used in the movie Bullitt for the jumping scenes." The Marti Report for the car had been ordered in November 2016, prompting Kevin to immediately contact the owners for a picture of the fender apron stamping. It was at this point that he knew, with a high degree of confidence, that this was one of the two Mustangs used in filming. Kevin reserves the details of his findings for customers, but he did say that the pieces of the car shown to him included appropriate date code stampings, serial number stampings,  original paint and other identifying marks that verified the Mustang's identity. "The fender apron and door data plate stampings were authentic," he told us, "These were, of course a major focal point in the investigation. "That's good news for Garcia and co-owner Hugo Sanchez, who found the then-neglected car in Baja California Sur last year. Since then, it's received a new roof, new floorpans and a coat of Highland Green paint, making it look the part of a Bullitt Mustang. Since Kevin's authentication, the car has been shipped to California, where Garcia plans to restore it with guidance from Ford Motor Company. Offers to buy the car have already begun to roll in, but for now anyway, it isn't for sale.

crossboss

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 06, 2022, 12:00:36 PM
Quote from: crossboss on April 06, 2022, 11:31:49 AM
  Maybe I'm mistaken.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2017/03/08/lost-bullitt-mustang-surfaces-in-mexico

On Friday, March 3, Kevin Marti inspected the car at a Ford dealer in Mexicali, and on Monday, March 6, Fox News published a report that he had verified the car as authentic. As Kevin explained to us, "The car found in the wrecking yard was the car used in the movie Bullitt for the jumping scenes." The Marti Report for the car had been ordered in November 2016, prompting Kevin to immediately contact the owners for a picture of the fender apron stamping. It was at this point that he knew, with a high degree of confidence, that this was one of the two Mustangs used in filming. Kevin reserves the details of his findings for customers, but he did say that the pieces of the car shown to him included appropriate date code stampings, serial number stampings,  original paint and other identifying marks that verified the Mustang's identity. "The fender apron and door data plate stampings were authentic," he told us, "These were, of course a major focal point in the investigation. "That's good news for Garcia and co-owner Hugo Sanchez, who found the then-neglected car in Baja California Sur last year. Since then, it's received a new roof, new floorpans and a coat of Highland Green paint, making it look the part of a Bullitt Mustang. Since Kevin's authentication, the car has been shipped to California, where Garcia plans to restore it with guidance from Ford Motor Company. Offers to buy the car have already begun to roll in, but for now anyway, it isn't for sale.

Its all bs. How can Kevin Marti 'verify' a car with no VIN? You can't. So, Max Belchowsky the guy who built the car was lying. I don't think so. The car was scrapped in Sun Valley, Ca in 1968. So, tell me how did it get to Mexico with no paperwork? Crossing an international border required proper papers to move forward.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Peter L.

Read 98SVT's reply. Sounds legit to me.
KR 4052

crossboss

Believe what you want. I would take Max's word over anyone else. HE was the guy who was there.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Peter L.

I too believe Mr. Balchowsky's statement about the car being sent to the scrapyard. That doesn't mean that it was 'scrapped'.
To this day there are many yards with cars from the 60's, even 50's and 40's.
As far as crossing the border to Mexico, it could have been declared as salvaged for parts.
I don't think Kevin Marti would risk his reputation on a hoax. 

KR 4052

crossboss

Quote from: Peter L. on April 06, 2022, 12:30:01 PM
I too believe Mr. Balchowsky's statement about the car being sent to the scrapyard. That doesn't mean that it was 'scrapped'.
To this day there are many yards with cars from the 60's, even 50's and 40's.
As far as crossing the border to Mexico, it could have been declared as salvaged for parts.
I don't think Kevin Marti would risk his reputation on a hoax. 

Remember, Kevin was paid by Ford. Kinda funny the new upcoming "Bullitt' car was coming out this time. I don't buy it.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Back in the day there were truckloads of "junk" cars going into Mexico from junk yards. They would hit the yard and sit for a period of time once the yard owner figured he'd made what he could off it they would get crushed an shipped off to Japan for recycling. They had very efficient communication system set up to locate cars and parts. Maybe the yard owner turned around and sold the whole car as "repairable". The Mustang being a current 1 year old car would have attracted a buyer who could fix it on the cheap (you know steal the parts or weld 2 wrecks together). There is no paperwork on a car once it hit's the junkyard. That gets surrendered to DMV and even then you had a lot of hoops to jump through to get one back on the road - unless you did it in Mexico. Junkyards sold on bill of sale that listed the VIN.
A friend of mine worked in a junkyard while in high school. He bought 3 wrecked E Types and built 2 cars from the pieces. He did have to buy one new nose from the dealer ($400). He ended up with a 3.8 roadster and a 4.2 coupe for less than 2 grand.

I have always been leery of the "found" stunt car. Too much sheet metal had been changed before it was authenticated. 

crossboss

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 06, 2022, 01:34:27 PM
Back in the day there were truckloads of "junk" cars going into Mexico from junk yards. They would hit the yard and sit for a period of time once the yard owner figured he'd made what he could off it they would get crushed an shipped off to Japan for recycling. They had very efficient communication system set up to locate cars and parts. Maybe the yard owner turned around and sold the whole car as "repairable". The Mustang being a current 1 year old car would have attracted a buyer who could fix it on the cheap (you know steal the parts or weld 2 wrecks together). There is no paperwork on a car once it hit's the junkyard. That gets surrendered to DMV and even then you had a lot of hoops to jump through to get one back on the road - unless you did it in Mexico. Junkyards sold on bill of sale that listed the VIN.
A friend of mine worked in a junkyard while in high school. He bought 3 wrecked E Types and built 2 cars from the pieces. He did have to buy one new nose from the dealer ($400). He ended up with a 3.8 roadster and a 4.2 coupe for less than 2 grand.

I have always been leery of the "found" stunt car. Too much sheet metal had been changed before it was authenticated.

Exactly! That was my point.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30