News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What is your favorite retro car and why ?

Started by FL SAAC, April 08, 2022, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossboss

Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

We love the late model mustangs, not only do they perform well in a straight line, but also around the curves
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

I had a 2005 Mustang GT, it was a good car. However, it would easily oversteer on any hard accel in the turns. And that was with only 300 HP.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

Quote from: crossboss on April 15, 2022, 07:24:45 PM
Take a looksee on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB28GXVo1VE

Undeniable one fast fudgie 9 seconds on slicks.

But on street tires a nice 11+ street machine...still a fast fudgie

Have you ever seen one PLOW through  a corner  ?

Keep it straight and your OK......pretty pathetic

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: crossboss on April 15, 2022, 07:31:34 PM
I had a 2005 Mustang GT, it was a good car. However, it would easily oversteer on any hard accel in the turns. And that was with only 300 HP.

Old technology,  2015 up I. R. S. and with a upgraded suspension from (pick one) Steeda or other will give you a phenomal handling car that can compete with the big boys

Nothing can be done to Fudgie to make it handle...well maybe one thing trade it in for a Stang LMAO !

I have all UNGOLD cars

crossboss

Don't kid yourself, Challengers can and do handle. Btw, the pic of the one you highlighted was doing a burn out, not accelerating and oversteering. Nice try! lol
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

Quote from: crossboss on April 15, 2022, 07:43:05 PM
Don't kid yourself, Challengers can and do handle. Btw, the pic of the one you highlighted was doing a burn out, not accelerating and oversteering. Nice try! lol

These are comments from actual Dodge owners

Discussion starter :

A
I think we've all heard many times how bad the handling is on the Challenger. Almost every professional review mentions it and says that it's competitors are so far ahead of the Challenger when it come to handling.

B
They are generally referring to on a track, and track times. If you really threw it around on the street somehow, I'm sure you'd find more roll, etc. but as you say, that can mostly be attributed to the weight difference. Mind the track purposed models with magnetic suspension, etc. would not be a direct comparison to even other trims of the same model

C
I think a lighter sporty car would do a lot better handling on sharp curvy mountains. that's probably where I think it doesn't shine. I am a lot more confident going straight

D
My Challlenger Hellcat will never be a canyon carver -- didn't buy it with this usage in mind -- but when driven in a manner that takes into account the car's weight -- approx 4400lbs -- and high center of gravity and just adequate tires and 707hp which can have me in way over my head and reach the limits of the car's handling/grip/braking it does ok.

E
This is my take on the SRT Challenger:
#1 The cars high speed stability is fantastic. Rock solid and confidence inspiring.
#2 It actually has a lot more grip in the turns than you would think.
#3 The 6 piston Brembo brakes are unbelievably good.
#4 Yes, the car has some body roll when transitioning quickly from left to right turns. It takes a moment for it to take "set". Yes, you can feel the weight.

F
The Challenger is a muscle car, not a sports car, and that's why I do not expect it to handle like the Austin Healey 3000 I had back in the day; a real sports car

Don't want to go through the whole alphabet,  but you get it.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Juan moe koment bout Fudgie

Both Challenger and Charger are heavy cars and are not very good at handling. They may b good for doing burnouts and stuff but not for street racing as it possess severe danger to both the driver and fellow road users.
Ricky Bobby

I have all UNGOLD cars

mark p

I like lots of [mostly USA-brand] cars, old & new - blue oval/snake-bowtie-pentastar-and even some studebakers too.

A friend and I went to the SRT Experience at NJMSP back in 2014 - it was an absolute blast.
"Obviously" a 4000#(+) Challenger is not a 2500# ('65) GT-350R, but the cars (even the Jeeps) were fast, fun, and went around the corners just fine.
The "pro drivers" - that group was from part of Richard Petty's gang - could make those cars dance.
I haven't belittled any of them since.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

crossboss

Quote from: FL SAAC on April 15, 2022, 07:56:39 PM
Quote from: crossboss on April 15, 2022, 07:43:05 PM

These are comments from actual Dodge owners

Discussion starter :

A
I think we've all heard many times how bad the handling is on the Challenger. Almost every professional review mentions it and says that it's competitors are so far ahead of the Challenger when it come to handling.

B
They are generally referring to on a track, and track times. If you really threw it around on the street somehow, I'm sure you'd find more roll, etc. but as you say, that can mostly be attributed to the weight difference. Mind the track purposed models with magnetic suspension, etc. would not be a direct comparison to even other trims of the same model

C
I think a lighter sporty car would do a lot better handling on sharp curvy mountains. that's probably where I think it doesn't shine. I am a lot more confident going straight

D
My Challlenger Hellcat will never be a canyon carver -- didn't buy it with this usage in mind -- but when driven in a manner that takes into account the car's weight -- approx 4400lbs -- and high center of gravity and just adequate tires and 707hp which can have me in way over my head and reach the limits of the car's handling/grip/braking it does ok.

E
This is my take on the SRT Challenger:
#1 The cars high speed stability is fantastic. Rock solid and confidence inspiring.
#2 It actually has a lot more grip in the turns than you would think.
#3 The 6 piston Brembo brakes are unbelievably good.
#4 Yes, the car has some body roll when transitioning quickly from left to right turns. It takes a moment for it to take "set". Yes, you can feel the weight.

F
The Challenger is a muscle car, not a sports car, and that's why I do not expect it to handle like the Austin Healey 3000 I had back in the day; a real sports car

Don't want to go through the whole alphabet,  but you get it.

You don't have to like them...many people do. As for myself, I don't like the newer Mustangs..and I am a Ford guy.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

I like the Fudgies but the stangs are a much better over all vehicles

And truly it's about what is "your" favorite retro car, that's it

Have a great day !

I have all UNGOLD cars

69mach351w

Amazing how flsaac starts a thread asking a question and has 14 responses to his own question ::)

Run those numbers up, right flsaac?

Ridiculous

Lincoln tech

Quote from: 69mach351w on April 17, 2022, 06:00:03 AM
Amazing how flsaac starts a thread asking a question and has 14 responses to his own question ::)

Ridiculous
Must stay on top somehow ,,,,,, annoying and useless .

FL SAAC

Ridiculous

No not true, creative writings, reading and comprehension I see are not your forte

Replies to others posts keeping it lively and fun for this particular discussion.

Please pay attention and stay on topic "MATCH 351 W" or "1 MATCH " , if you have nothing positive to contribute or unfamiliar with the topic ,  keep your negative thoughts in a jar.

Happy Easter  !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: Lincoln tech on April 17, 2022, 08:00:18 AM

Ridiculous
Must stay on top somehow ,,,,,, annoying and useless .

President Lincoln, by any means necessary

Please stay on topic,  what IS your favorite retro car ?

Happy Easter  !

I have all UNGOLD cars