News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Spring Saddle Replacement Bushing Color/Plating?

Started by OldGuy, May 20, 2018, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGuy

Guys, I'm in the process of rebuilding my original spring saddles and would like to know if the outer bushing sleeve was originally bare (like the sheet metal portion of the saddle) or black oxide treated (plated?). If the bushing sleeve was treated, how dark should it be? Can you also verify if the bushing shaft ends (the area that the attaching bolts go through) was black oxide treated also?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Frank

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldGuy on May 20, 2018, 01:48:47 PM
Guys, I'm in the process of rebuilding my original spring saddles and would like to know if the outer bushing sleeve was originally bare (like the sheet metal portion of the saddle) or black oxide treated (plated?). If the bushing sleeve was treated, how dark should it be? Can you also verify if the bushing shaft ends (the area that the attaching bolts go through) was black oxide treated also?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Frank
I have always redone the saddles in the bare steel finish. The outer case of the bushing was the same bare steel but the cross bar a slightly darkened steel (heat treated I'm guessing). I have a NOS ones in the old FOMOCO box and it is the same way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 21, 2018, 01:16:00 AM
I have always redone the saddles in the bare steel finish. The outer case of the bushing was the same bare steel but the cross bar a slightly darkened steel (heat treated I'm guessing). I have a NOS ones in the old FOMOCO box and it is the same way.

+1 

Same response as on the other forum ;)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

OldGuy

Thank you Bob and Jeff. I figured if anyone had the answers, you guys would. Your collective knowledge is much appreciated.

Frank